Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommendation for a premium quality tool set?

I'm thinking of screw drivers that don't bugger up the heads, etc.
I'm good with Buy Once, Cry Once.
My roll-aways are Snap-On and MAC tools.

I want to work on 1894s, Henrys and Ruger revolvers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have "avoid" in my notes for Wheeler tools, but cannot find the reason why, except they are Hecho in China.

My bias is showing.. but I don't want Hecho in China tools.
I can get those at Harbor Freight.

Grace and Chapman are two names I find are Made in USA.

I found this old link here.
https://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/59257-gunsmithing-screwdriver.html

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,972 Posts
Nearly all screws used in guns require a hollow ground flat tip …. not a tapered tip like wood screws. There are many choices but most any decent hollow ground bit sets will work just fine. The Brownell's set than Wave mentioned are great but because they have the name "gunsmith" attached, they cost more. I like the 1/4" hex bit type screw drivers …. very versatile. Bit kits come with flat tip, Philips, and Torks, that are very modestly priced. I think my handle is a Stanley and my bits are Black & Decker …. not that it matters much.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I prefer to find a handle and bits vs the Grace method of wood handles and individual blades.
Less storage space required.

I just don't want Hecho in China for gun tools.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
In addition to the Brownells Professional (high dollar) sets linked above, they also have a selection of sets that have fewer bits and handles => LINK

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked into the Wheeler, the Chapman (brittle) and bought the Brownells Magna-Tip.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have the Brownell's magna-tip set. I especially like that Brownell's has the extra thin blades used on a lot of older European firearms. They even sell a small set with all the necessary blades for working on a Browning Auto-5.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use Wiha for camera repairs.
Very nice precision tools.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
While I'm not a fan of Made in China, the Wheeler set isn't a bad buy for the money. It has a lot of different widths and thicknesses in flat head bits, which makes it really good for my 1894. I wish they would just make a Torx set- it's the 1894 CST so it isn't like it is a traditional lever rifle anyway.

My biggest suggestion with screwdrivers is to go the bit route. I've never had a screw on a gun that I couldn't use a bit driver on except for buttpads, and they usually use a common Phillips head. I have broken bit tips, and I can replace with a cheap bit rather than whole new screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have Weaver set of slot and Phillips screwdriver bits, Allen and Torx bits that seems identical to the Wheeler set. The bits come in a great range of widths and thicknesses and so far I haven't found a gun screw I can't fit properly. They have been durable so far.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I bought a set of these a few years ago. I also bought the Torx and hex add-on sets. Pricey but, IMO, well worth the investment for heirloom quality tools.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-blade-screwdriver-master-sets-prod78280.aspx

I'm not a fan of the multibit sets. I'm sure they get the job done but I suspect a lot of the 100+ bits will never get used. Besides, my autism/OCD can't handle all those little pieces. I'd be forever concerned about making sure they were all in the right spot in the storage case and forever worried about misplacing/losing one. No thanks....

·
Registered
649 Posts
I acquire whatever I need and can afford at the time I'm working on a project. So I don't have a set of a particular make; it is a collection of various makes.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm partial to Chapman, if only because I'm still using a kit I bought 35+ years ago...

One thing they emphasize is that they design their bits to yield before getting into a torque range which endangers the screw (& by extension, the firearm) - having dealt with the aftermath of breaking a screw head, I like their way of thinking.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I use Wiha for camera repairs.
Very nice precision tools.
Wiha is the BMW of precision screwdrivers. :thumbsup:

Great tools, own a few of the screwdriver products since they were the first company I could find selling the 000 Phillips I needed for eyeglass frame screws.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,972 Posts
Knowing which tip to use is a lot more important than what brand to use. You can just as easily bugger a screw with a name brand screwdriver than a non-name brand. A hollow ground flat tip should be the right thickness to occupy the slot …. never too fat or it won't seat, never too slender or it will slip out of the slot. The tip's width should be almost as wide as the slot …. never wider because it will bugger the screw hole, never too narrow or it will bugger the screw. I have many 1/4" hex tips that I custom ground for specific screws, especially for guns designed by John Browning. Ruger uses pretty standard screws with a few exceptions. My new Wrangler uses a T-15 Torks for the five grip frame screws. For Bisleys, the screws on either side of the hammer are Allen head. There are some special application screws in Rugers to include the left hand thread slotted nut inside the center hole of GP100s (and other DAs cylinders). Another is the split screw that holds the base pin spring on all SAs. You probably won't find these split tip screwdriver bits in any kit but Brownell's sells them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a couple Chapman sets, a little Lyman set that lives in my range bag, and a few Brownells sets. The Chapman's are pretty brittle, and I have broken several over the years, The Brownell sets are BY FAR my favorites !

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ruger uses pretty standard screws with a few exceptions. My new Wrangler uses a T-15 Torks for the five grip frame screws.

For Bisleys, the screws on either side of the hammer are Allen head. There are some special application screws in Rugers to include the left hand thread slotted nut inside the center hole of GP100s (and other DAs cylinders).

Another is the split screw that holds the base pin spring on all SAs. You probably won't find these split tip screwdriver bits in any kit but Brownell's sells them.
I'd like to find some quality Torx head screws to replace slotted types.
These exist in after-market form for Harleys, and are a huge step up from Phillips and others that can strip or bugger up.

Q: what other specialized tools or bits, are needed for Marlins, Rugers and Henrys?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts