Ruger Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I own 2 Revolvers that I would Consider a good woods, hiking firearm to carry.
(1) The Kimber Stainless K6S DASA 357 Magnum 3". It is clamed to be the smallest Framed .357 6 shot Revolver. If I were Hiking in Big Bear Country I would Carry My S&W M69
2.75" 44 Remington Magnum.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
How about the LCRX model 5444? It has a 3" barrel, adjustable sights in .357 mag and weighs 22 oz.

It's light, has good sights and enough sight radius for good practical accuracy and allows a great range of ammo power from mild .38 Special target loads to full house .357 Magnum.
LCRX is a great choice if you can handle 357Mag practice rounds at the range. I almost picked one up but it was too stout with 357 for my liking and it is important for me to practice with my EDC. 38SP in the LCRX feels better but I want more power on the trail. So recommend range time before deciding.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If it has to be very light weight I carry a 642 loaded with this

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/38-special-158-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point-gas-check?variant=18785707458617

I carry this when out doing my exercise walking or biking and want something super light. That ammo is easy to shoot but should take care of most 2 and 4 legged beasts you might encounter .. no not bear or mountain lions although ??

I would have been fine with an LCR as well but the smith was at a great price and fit my hands a bit better and I think conceals a little easier in the pocket.

I personally go hiking with at least a .357 or 10mm but if light were the order of the day ... I feel pretty good about the 642

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
Bear country tells me I'd better take my .357 magnum or .45 Colt. You may never see the Cubs or for that matte the bear. What ever caliber you desire on get you some shot shells for it and put a couple in your pocket. I hate poisonous snakes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a shoulder holster for my Super Blackhawk Hunter :p

I can also carry my 12" barreled 454 Casull in it if I'm hiking in Cape Buffalo country. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Kel-Tec PMR-30. My biggest concern would be falling down a cliff and breaking my leg. The PMR-30 would give me ten three round "here I am" bursts.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts