Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to see what you six gun shooters use. I have old eyes that can't focus on the sights and target at the same time. Either the target is blurred or the sight. I picked up a Weaver 301 base and all I have for now is a BSA red dot sight. It's a 1 1/2" tube and it really looks goofy sitting on top of my NM Blackhawk 45 Colt. Shooting is quite the opposite. I can see clearly now. I can hit my 6" gong consistently at 50 yrds. Almost too easy, but fun. I would like something smaller though. So I'm asking for opinions. Which would be better, a holographic type sight or a hand gun scope with cross hair reticle? I'd like this to be a Poll but don't know how. Thanks for any and all input. G.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Big difference in ease of use between a red dot and even stepping up to only a 2x scope. If the red dot suits you, I'd stay with a red dot for, now. Going scope brings another set of issues.

My vote is for an Ultradot 25. Not cheap, but it is smaller with its one inch tube. Best of all, it is as magnum proof as a red dot gets. I've used these on monsters that make the 45 Colt seem tame. Never an issue and lifetime warranty, besides.

Don't currently have one on a Black Hawk, but here it is on a 4" GP 100 with Weigand mount.

If you want something even smaller, the Burris Fastfires are outstanding, but not cheap, either.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The Burris FastFires are nice, tiny, super light and great battery life. They sell for around $240. Here is one on a 1911, and one on my Mini-30. My photobucket account is not letting me log in at present, so I'll put up some small pics that you can click on to make bigger.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I'm a firm believer that optics choices should be dictated by what the shooter wants to be able to see and wants to be able to hit.

If I'm just shooting offhand at 50yrds or less at relatively large targets, a red dot with a relatively small dot treats me well. If I'm shooting over 200yrds at small targets from a support, I like a 2-6 or 2-8x scope.

I have Trijicon RMR and Burris FastFire II and III's on some revolvers, I have Burris, Simmons, and Leupold scopes on others, UltraDot MatchDots on a couple others - different optics for different applications.

Love the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32mm. Love the RMR and Fastfire III.

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I asked this on another board as well. Seems the Ultradot is popular.

Well, after a road trip today, only to find out that no one has anything. End of the year, clear everything out or pay uncle sam. No shipments until after the Shot Show in mid Jan.
I went ahead and ordered an Ultrdot 25 from Optics Planet. I think it was a great price compared to the rest of the net. Got free shipping + 2nd day for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts