Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of those indoor ranges with pulley system cable target returns... the dude told me if my brass goes in front of the shooter area I'm SOL...
So... just call it collateral damage?

·
Cat Herder
1,567 Posts
That sounds about right. Especially if it is a pay by the hour place you are costing all the other shooters money if they had to do a cease fire so you could pick up brass, and the range money if people are waiting on your lane. Not safe to collect otherwise.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,577 Posts
Just another reason I am grateful to have my own place to shoot. Spiff gave all the valid reasons for the rule. When I was a member of an indoor range I shot a lot of .22lr and center fire revolvers because of that. My precious .45acp brass was too painful to lose. Especially since my Commander sized Springfield Champion ejected the first few out of the magazine in a forward direction.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
How about going to range where any brass that hits the ground belongs to them regardless of where it lands? Crazy right? That’s how one indoor range operates in the St. Louis area, it has zero to do with time or safety........They sell your brass for profit.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I've been reprimanded by a range for asking a shooter next to me who just sweeped up his brass if he was keeping it he said no, then he said you can have it if you want it and i replied yes. The owner came running in and told me i was welcome to my brass but no one else's. I informed him they offered it h is retort was i don't care.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The indoor range that I am a member of will let you pickup all the brass that you want. The range officers have even saved brass for me when they knew that I wanted it. Of course, if it crosses the firing line, then it is lost. Great employees at this range!

·
Righteous Dude
21,544 Posts
I've seen places where they are very strict about brass and then others that have swept the floor and gave me a trash bag full of brass. I prefer to at least keep the bulk of mine if possible.

Of course, I generally use private land lately. But indoor ranges are nice at times in the heat or for convenience

·
Cat Herder
1,567 Posts
The nearest indoor range to me used to send all their brass to Freedom Munitions then sell Freedom ammo at reduced cost to customers. I've noticed since Freedom quit their brass credit I've not seen any Freedom available at the range (this was pre-COVID buying).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sometimes when the weather is bad I regret not having an indoor range I can go to. Then I read a thread like this and I don't feel so bad. At least where I go I can retrieve 100% of my own brass and often find good brass others have let lay on the ground. It's rare that I don't come home with more brass than the rounds I've shot. I'm usually there by myself so I spread a tarp which makes collecting my brass easy.

·
Super Moderator
4,049 Posts
In my experience every indoor range I can remember going to you forfeit brass that goes forward of the firing line. I'm fine with that. It's a reasonable restriction for safety that far outweighs any negatives IMO. In fact at every indoor range I've been to you couldn't go forward of the firing line for any reason even during cease fires. If you had a target issue one of the ROs would go down range to fix it. OTOH, you should be allowed to retrieve your own brass behind the firing line. That doesn't mean you go up and down the line indiscriminately picking up brass. Just police your own area and get out of the way for the next shooter.

I would have told the RO mentioned above that it is my brass. My fellow shooter just gave it to me.

Fortunately I haven't had to go to a public range for years. I step out back to shoot.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
The nearest indoor range to me used to send all their brass to Freedom Munitions then sell Freedom ammo at reduced cost to customers. I've noticed since Freedom quit their brass credit I've not seen any Freedom available at the range (this was pre-COVID buying).
i was not aware that Freedom stopped their brass credit ... i'm sure it was when they were reorganizing after filing for bankruptcy ...

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
In my experience every indoor range I can remember going to you forfeit brass that goes forward of the firing line. I'm fine with that. It's a reasonable restriction for safety that far outweighs any negatives IMO. In fact at every indoor range I've been to you couldn't go forward of the firing line for any reason even during cease fires. If you had a target issue one of the ROs would go down range to fix it. OTOH, you should be allowed to retrieve your own brass behind the firing line. That doesn't mean you go up and down the line indiscriminately picking up brass. Just police your own area and get out of the way for the next shooter.

I would have told the RO mentioned above that it is my brass. My fellow shooter just gave it to me.

Fortunately I haven't had to go to a public range for years. I step out back to shoot.
i've never gone up and down the firing line to pick up brass ... however i have seen many do it ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I shoot at a couple indoor ranges, and I feel blessed if I can collect anything over 50% of my own brass - the rest end up flinging forward of the firing line. I've found that if you let the RSO know you want to collect your brass, no problem and if it's the least bit slow they often sweep brass back towards you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The clubs that I have belonged to specifically state "CLEAN UP YOUR BRASS", so I do. The private indoor range that I have shot at for competition pushes all the brass forward of the shooting line, but while the range is shut down for setting up the plate racks and the break period you can go scounge all the brass you can carry. Another outdoor range will not let you pick up brass during competition, but if you help pick up and put away will let you clooect brass; they're not stingy, just don't want the competition to slow down while people pick up brass.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I wouldn't want to advance beyond the firing line to pick up brass anyways!

Primarily only having access to indoor ranges is one of the reasons I prefer shooting and reloading for my revolvers. I don't lose any brass!

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I would use brass that is on it's last reload.
Huh, how can you tell prior to shooting it? The only way I can tell if it’s on it’s last reload is by the sound it makes when it hits the concrete or visually looking at it........

·
Registered
335 Posts
I shoot mostly revolvers, but when I am shooting my autoloaders, I use an extra target backer that the range stores on the range, for a stop. This way 95% of my brass stays behind the firing line. I also have my loads tuned so that my brass flies behind me. I always ask for an end lane. This also helps keep it together.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts