1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the 4X Leupold off my SBH.
What are my options for a Red Dot?
And mounting options on the SBH?
Also what is a good solid ghost ring for the rear sight?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Jack Weigand for the mount.

Red dot....have a trs25 on my 357, it's perfect and wouldn't change a thing. Have an Aimpoint on my AR and wouldn't change a thing. Pretty good quality on red dots now days. If it's your fun gun, the Burris is fantastic. If it's your my life depends on it gun, buy once cry once, imho.
0223201248_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Have always been partial to good quality tube red dots and my favorite, the Ultradot 25, is excellent quality. About as magnum proof as a red dot gets. Have used them on handguns with much more recoil than a 44 mag and have never had one fail.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also like the Ultradot and have one on my Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Super Blackhawk Hunter_2.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have to take a look. Anyone replace the rear iron sight with a ghost ring? Who makes a really solid one that has a not so large aperture?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’m running a vortex venom 3moa with a raptor mount on my sbh Hunter. The dot setup only has 550rounds through it, right now. Time will tell for the mount. I don’t trust electronics much, especially getting beat up with recoil and hunting. I’ve read good things about the holosun but there’s no warranty. I’ve had good first hand experience with leupold and vortex- I’d trust them if I broke my dot. I also know you can’t go wrong with trijicon. For holstering, I really like the micro dot on the rear of the gun. That being said, since I have a “Hunter” model, if I can’t keep an optic mounted there I’ll run a Ultradot like the others have stated. They have a proven pedigree for surviving hand cannons.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You at the mercy of your dot scope whenever the rear sight get taken off on a hunting pistol especially if you away from home. If that Red dot fails I would surely want my back up sights that came with it on at all time. Bad things do happen when you out and about in the field. I have seen a couple great mounts especially for the Hunter models that works great if you go the way on red dots. I had them failed quite a few times mostly due to battery issues and they sure wont take a fall on a rock or hard ground as they will get knocked on. When it rains I leave the red dots home as they don't mix unless you have the Ultradot or Aimpoint which you can easily wipe away with cloths but a lot harder to do on reflex sights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts