Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to hunt whitetail with my 6" .357 Tracker but after sighting in my red dot at 50 yards I find, 2 weeks later it's way off.
Do you have experience e fixing this problem?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Hi Tom

In general, you always start off by checking the base/rings to make sure everything is tight. If something has worked loose, you might want to add a little blue loctite to the threads to keep it from happening, again.

If everything is tight and you're sure that you are not the the source of the error - not always an easy thing to do with a pistol or revolver, since changes in the way you grip and hold can affect where the gun is hitting - then it is time to suspect a problem with the scope or red dot. The best way to check on a scope issue is to try a different scope/red dot, but, of course, not always possible. You might try to give the red dot a sharp whack with your hand at the range. If the point of impact changes significantly afterwards, you likely have a red dot issue.

Which red dot are you using, by the way? The cheaper you go on a red dot, the more likely the issues on something like a 357.

·
Super Moderator
21,499 Posts
Did you use the same ammo both times?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started from scratch today. So far it's good at 25yds. Late this week I'll check it and then go to 50yds. Also used gorilla glue on scope mount threads.

·
Registered
183 Posts
postjr,

When I mounted the rail on my Ruger Mark III 22/45 Lite, the instructions said to clean the threads of any oil, and use RED locktite.

I cleaned the threads with alcohol, and used BLUE locktite, because that's what I had.

It shot loose in less than 100 rounds. :(

I then re-cleaned the threads and applied RED locktite. 500 rounds later, its still secure.

I hope that the gorilla glue works for you, but you do know that it's not intended to be used as a thread locker, right?

Duane

·
Banned
402 Posts
When I mounted the rail on my Ruger Mark III 22/45 Lite, the instructions said to clean the threads of any oil, use Alcohol on a Q tip, get right into the threads and don't leave any fuzz, do the screws also. and use RED locktite.
Red L/T used correctly is permanent and needs heat to release. BLUE locktite is the color of choice, rings and bases should be done. -- A little, as in not much
Silicone weather sealer on the inside of the rings can help if the tube slips. don't over tighten the tube screws, Never saw 22 shoot loose a scope with blue L/T

I cleaned the threads with alcohol, and used BLUE locktite, because that's what I had.

It shot loose in less than 100 rounds.

I then re-cleaned the threads and applied RED locktite. 500 rounds later, its still secure.
and it will be for a long, long time
I hope that the gorilla glue works for you, but you do know that it's not intended to be used as a thread locker, right? nuff said about the G glue
Some red dots will hit POA no matter how you see the dot
( any place in the ocular lens) some need to be centered like a peep sight.
( my Nikon red dot is this way )
Shoot off a good sand bag rest, if it stays on at 25 yards it ain't gonna go off at 50,
on is on and if it shifts it will do it at 10 yards. Also shoot a box with the scope.
get zeroed in and go up with the adjustments then go right the same amount of clicks, then down the same clicks and left the same clicks, the scope should be back to zero or original POA.
Use the best glass you can afford I like the ultra dot scopes myself, also like has been said, make sure the error is not shooter induced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts