Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a red-dot on a .308 GSR using the standard scout rail?

Of particular interest would be a comparison between the red-dot and a traditional scout scope
Thanks

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I like a red dot on my Mini-30's, as I can shoot well with them for as far as the cartridge is good for. I sight my FF III (and my irons) at 200 yards. So I'm 1 1/2" high at 50 yards, 3 inches high at 100, on at 200, and a foot low at 300 yards. Beyond 300, my accuracy with the 3 MOA dot is not that good, and the 7.62 x 39 starts dropping a whole lot more.
But with the GSR, I like some magnification, as I can reach out with the .308 a lot further.
If someone lived where there is nothing but deep woods and shorter shots, a red dot on the GSR would be fine. Where I live there are more wide open spaces than timber. I limit my shots on animals to 300 yards or so with the .308, but the rest of the year, like to shoot paper and steel out to 500 or 600 yards, and I could not do that with a dot.
Best of both worlds would be a Leupold FireDot scope, either the Mark AR green dot mounted over the action, or the VXR Scout scope w/ red dot mounted on the forward rail. I have the Mark AR 1.5-4x on an AR, and it is pretty quick at 1.5x with the dot lit, with the ability to zoom to 4x for longer shots. With the dot lit at any magnification, it really helps to acquire the target in low light conditions.
My GSR currently has a Nikon 2.5-8x Force XR pistol scope that I took off my Mini-14 Scout. I really like it, but it would be better if it had a lighted dot option, and went down lower on the low end to say 1x or 1.5x. One of these days I'll get a VXR FireDot 1.5x-5x when I can scrap up an extra $600.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
I used an UltraDot on my GSR and it worked well for my application (utility rifle). If I had intended to shoot much past 200 I would have put a LER cope on it instead.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Sandog and Bonk: Thanks for the replies.My shooting is all open terrain. I think I will stay with the LER scout scopes for now. I didn't know Leupold made the VXR in a scout configuration....a little spendy, but maybe just the ticket.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
I'm a big fan of the basic Ultradot. Relatively cheap (about $175). Lifetime no BS warranty. Nice bright dot that has 12 different intensities. They also have fancier versions with BDC compensation, smaller dots, etc but those can get a bit pricy ($400+). The Ultradots are the red dot of choice for a lot of competition handgun shooters. They can withstand big bore handguns so mounting one on a rifle is not an issue at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts