Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone set themselves up with a red dot sight on a Super Blackhawk? I've got the stainless 5.5" 44 magnum model, so I don't have the scope rings. It's the flat top with the adjustable sights.

I love the look of the gun as is, but I'm thinking a red dot might improve my shooting a bit. I'd like it to be as low profile as possible without a lot of rails and claptrap that makes the gun look ugly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kurt, I don't know the answer. Here's what I do know. I'm 42 and in the last few months my eyes have gone to hell. When I shoot, I focus on the front sight. This frequently (but not always) leaves the rear sight blurry for me.

I don't hate the stock patridge sights, but that front post is very thick, and I really need to put some sight paint on it because it's dark gray and the background of almost everything is dark gray.

I suppose I was thinking of improving the sight system, and among the options available, the red dots seemed like a good one.

Plus, I'm a guy and guys need to have toys to play with even if we get bored with them and throw them away.

My goal is to improve the load, gun, and my ability to shoot until I can reliably get 8 of 10 on a paper plate at 50 yards with a rest. I'm nowhere near that yet. I can occasionally get 8 of 10 on a paper plate at 25 yards offhand.

I want to be able to hunt pigs with it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am 62 and I can no longer see the irons like I used to. My effective range has decreased a lot in the last several years. With optics it is a whole another ball game. I tried scopes and red dots and I like the red dots better. With optics it becomes a matter of how steady you can hold and good trigger technique. You might see if you can shoot s someone's optic equipped pistols to try it before you take the plunge. Get a good red dot for the 44 cheap ones will probably fail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twodog, do you have your red dot on a handgun or a rifle? I don't think I want magnification. The field of view on those pistol scopes doesn't agree with me. Pain in the butt trying to find the target.

What I'd most like is to be able to have a red dot that I could easily put on and take off, so I could keep the gun in "woods gun" configuration with the irons, and put the red dot on for hunting. I might be asking a bit much there.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have a couple of red dots. I have an Aimpoint on my turkey shotgun a Benelli 12 gauge 3 inch. Never had a problem with it. I have a S&W 686 six inch with a Tasco pro point. Never any trouble out it either. I know a couple guys that tried the Tasco on 44's and they did not hold up so with a red dot you will need to move up a grade or two on a 44. I at one time had a 2X Leupold on a S&W 629. It was OK but I like red dots better. The scope was a little hard to manage with field of view and other reasons. Not the scope it was me.

·
Registered
799 Posts
One time I put the Aimpoint on a MarkIII 22. That thing was a tack driver but made it a little cumbersome to carry so went back to the irons. I might should have tried something like the Burris fastfire but did not.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
How/why are you thinking a red dot will help your shooting? What do you think needs improving that a dot will help?
Kurt
More often than not, a red dot sight WILL improve accuracy for single action revolver shooters. The front sight is 15MOA wide, even using a 6 o'clock hold, it's easy to drift. Red dot sights typically have 1MOA to 4MOA dots, much better precision.

Shoot an email or give a call to JP Rifles about their JPoint mount - I use them on my Ruger SA and DA revolvers, they might have a model that fits the flattop models.

In my experience, the Jpoint mount is the best option for putting red-dots on non-drilled and tapped Ruger revolvers. They just replace the rear sight.

Slap a Burris FastFire III on top of a Jpoint mount and adapter, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Varmintterror, what caliber are you shooting with the Jpoint? Do you think there would be a problem with 44 mag recoil?

·
Registered
846 Posts
twodog, do you have your red dot on a handgun or a rifle? I don't think I want magnification. The field of view on those pistol scopes doesn't agree with me. Pain in the butt trying to find the target.

What I'd most like is to be able to have a red dot that I could easily put on and take off, so I could keep the gun in "woods gun" configuration with the irons, and put the red dot on for hunting. I might be asking a bit much there.
I tried scopes on my handguns, and I agree...they suck ,for me anyway. I put an Eo-Tech 512 on my Ruger super redhawk in .454/.45 colt and my shooting improved dramatically, I'm almost 70 and the eye are going south. The EO-Tech works great. A little expensive yes, but certainly worth it. I've taken elk and deer with it, but keep my range inside 100 yds.

·
Registered
609 Posts
A few years ago I put a 2moa Burris Fastfire 3 on a Ruger MkIII Hunter, and my accuracy with it improved immensely. I had used a Burris mount that replaced the rear sight on that gun.

Earlier this year I bought a Bisley Hunter 44 and put a Burris 2-7 x32 posi lock scope on it. Shooting it at 50 yards at 3x magnafication on a sand bag I was able to shoot 1.5 to 2 inch 6 shot groups pretty easily, and trying it in my deer stand supporting against the shooting rail or the tree I was able to do 2" at 50 yards... until the reticle came apart on it in under 200 rounds.
*Burris replaced that scope and had the new one on my door step in under two weeks from the day I sent it in.*

I have now mounted a Burris Fastfire III on the Bisley Hunter now with their mount that secures to the scope rail. I have only taken about 20 shots with it at 25 yards at an indoor range. I can tell you for sure that free hand comparing the gun with a Bowen rear sight to shooting it with the dot at 25 yards, my groups are about half the size with the dot.

I would have loved to use a mount that fits in place of the rear sight, but I don't want to mess with the Bowen sight I have on there.

It's going to be a couple weeks before I can do more shooting with it at longer distances and from my stand.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Varmintterror, what caliber are you shooting with the Jpoint? Do you think there would be a problem with 44 mag recoil?
I shoot mine on 44mag and 454Casull. I wasn't certain about durability of mounts like this before I tried my first one - JP rifles assured me that if anything would fail, it would be the mounting screw, and they'd give me a full refund if that ever happened. To my best estimation based on my reloading book notes, I have over 500rnds of 454C under my JPoint mount and Burris FastFire III. No shift in zero, no wiggle to the mount.

·
Registered
66 Posts
To the OP, I hear ya about eyesight. I'm 58, so near vision is gone. I shoot with a pair of 1.25 diopter readers. I'm going to look into getting some glasses just for shooting. But you might try that, different readers and see if it works for you. I have a dot on a .22 conversion on a 1911. I really like being able to shoot it with just safety glasses. I can keep mostly inside 2" @ 25 yards with it. It also really helps, shows up, my wobble zone and really shows how steady I'm holding. So there can be a lot a dot can teach you. That said, I can usually keep inside 6" at 25 yards with iron sights, mostly shooting one handed. A dot will help with sight picture. There is also stance, grip, sight picture...and not messing that all up with trigger pull. Maybe look into shooting something with a dot and then decide if you want it on your gun.
Kurt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts