Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering what would be the optimal/correct place to put your red dot on the rifle.

uploadfromtaptalk1442319984495.jpg

Maybe there?

·
Registered
57 Posts
My red dot has unlimited relief. That means my eye does not have to be at a certain distance for the "scope" to take effect. Check the relief on the device, if it is unlimited, technically you could put it on the front (but why would you?)

Peace.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Put the red dot (reflex) sight wherever you want. Optically it doesn't matter.

Some placements may affect the mechanical balance of the firearm.

·
Registered
458 Posts
As long as your on the receiver your fine. Personally I like mine in the center of the reliever but if that's where you like it, it's yours.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As mentioned above, it doesn't really matter with a 1x magnification red dot.

I find that if it's mounted over the barrel, as opposed to over the receiver, I notice more of the target and the dot, and less of the scope body. This allows for more rapid target acquisition. That's why I use Scout Mounts on my M-14's, Mini-14's, and AK's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i wanted to place over the barrel but I gave up to habits and placed it over the receiver.

I was thinking that speed bead on rem 870 is between the receiver and butt stock so its real close to the eye.

·
Registered
772 Posts
As said before, you can place the red dot anywhere you want because of the unlimited eye relief. That said, If the red dot is close to your eye, it will appear a little larger than if it was farther down the receiver. Also, if the red dot is close to the eye the body of the red dot will block some of the side view and you may miss some action while hunting that you could see if the red dot was farther down the receiver or barrel (think Scout style).

The best thing is that you can put it where you want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts