Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

any suggestions on how to convince my father that his MkIII does not really need a red dot scope? unfortunately, he watched some youtube videos that convinced him that he did, and he then went to walmart and spent $100 on a bushnell red dot scope. I have tried to use it, but the problem is that it takes to long to acquire the red dot. Anyone try the see-all type scope on the Mk III with any good results?

thanks in advance

kscoyotee62

·
Registered
429 Posts
he does need a red dot. i have the burris on mine.
yeah, micros have slow target acquisition. but, at 25 yards, i get 1'' groups rested, 2'' with 2 hands n 2 1/2'' one hand.
i couldn't come close with iron sights.
hitting what you aim at is fun.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The improvement in my groups at 25 yards was amazing when I put the Burris Fastfire on mine. I now have one on my 44 Bisley Hunter also which I can shoot under 5" six shot groups with at 50 yards.

Very fast to come on target with the Fast fire too. I used it in place of a Burris 2-7 x 36 on the 44 to make it faster to use for deer hunting.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Which model Bushnell? If it was the TRS-25, great red dot, but it can be a little fussy about getting lined up. My husband has the same problem with this red dot on one of our Marks and does not like it, either. Me, I have no problem, having used this red dot for so long.

The more traditional full length tube red dots are usually a bit easier to line up, though they will be bulkier. My favorite, here, is the Ultradot 25, though it is not cheap. Very easy to get on target and super quality, though.

If it's a vision problem for him, have you tried going fiber optics sights on your Mark? I set up one of our Marks with the Williams FO set and my husband loves it. Much prefers it to a red dot.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
No one "needs" a red dot but if he's having trouble seeing his target, sights, or putting them together it could help a lot..
I have a bushnell on mine and love it, I don't have vision issues but I love the fact that I can shoot with both eyes open with out really trying to aim and still be on the bullseye.. It takes a little time to get used to looking for the dot but after a little practice you'll know where to find it..
But imo it's his gun so let him decide what he wants.. Keep the reciept if he don't like it he can return it later..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts