Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site, so I hope you will allow me to ask some probably redundant questions that have been asked by others. I am 61 and my eyes aren't what they used to be...so I need some help with a sight I can use effectively on my MKIII 5 1/2 bull barrel stainless. I have a cheap red dot on my crossbow and it does a pretty good job. I've ordered a ATN Ultrasight. Seems to be a middle quality, general purpose red dot sight... Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Welcome, and we don't mind questions at all.

I have no experience with ATN. But i have had excellent service out of millett red dots and with bushnell holosights. If you go with the ATN, give us and education and your opinion about it as i am not familar with them.;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Decent sight for Chinese made. Don't expect much in fit and finish. The 4 totally different reticles is a good feature. BSA has an identical model (same Chinese mfr no doubt) except with different reticle setup for much less $. I have one of each.

·
Registered
460 Posts
With red dot sights, you can spend a little or a lot. It may not make much difference. I have a $20 BSA red dot and a $200 Ultradot LT. While I prefer the smaller, lighter Ultradot LT, it isn't that much better than the BSA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Tom...I've gone ahead and ordered a ATN Ultra sight that is supposed to be delivered on the 4th of January...I'm traveling until the 6th, so I won't have a chance to check it out until after the 6th...I've read a ton of reviews on the reflex open tube holo sights. No personal experience at all except with my Horton red dot sight on my crossbow, but from the reviews your observations are what the reviewers are saying, too. One reviewer blasts a $300 Bushnell holosight while another praises it. There were several favorable reviews for the ATN so I thought I'd take a chance on it..haven't heard anything bad about the EO Tech's, but they are really high dollar sights. The True Glo holosight is a new product for $229.00 (Midway USA) that I can't find any reviews on....same story for the Burris reflex sight...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by PC4

Decent sight for Chinese made. Don't expect much in fit and finish. The 4 totally different reticles is a good feature. BSA has an identical model (same Chinese mfr no doubt) except with different reticle setup for much less $. I have one of each.
By decent are you saying it is reliable and works as advertised? What do you have them mounted on? Could you elaborate on its performance based on your experiences?

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have the 40.00 tru-glow and can recomend it very much.i have a reflex sight on my 22a still getting used to it haven't had it too long.the reflex was kind of a pain to sight in(at least mine was).it's made by wrightway bought it from sportsman guide for 40.00. holo sight is kind of a misnomer the only true holo sights are made by eo tech and busnell. iused to call all the reflex ones holo also. anyway both of them work as advertized.they both hold zero and good for the price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
here's a good link that answered all my questions about red dots and holo'sgive it a read when you have timehttp://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203885

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My ATN Ultrasight red dot came in and I put it on the MKIII today...pretty easy to sight in...shot three clips with it...it is different. I don't know if I like the setup..sits up fairly high and adds weight. I had to turn up the settings in the bright sun to see the reticle, but it does make hitting the target easier when you are shooting off hand...

·
Registered
34 Posts
which model did you get? i saw where cabelas has 3 models of the ultrasight.post a picture and a post about what you think about it after you run some more rounds through your mk iii.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the standard non digital model...and I installed the Hogue Thumbrest grips today...ran 50 rounds through it...no complaints...sight worked fine, held zero, hit where I aimed...I really like the thumbrest rubber grips.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I mounted a Bushnell "Trophy" red dot on my MK3 Hunter SS pistol. Very accurate and reasonably priced scope. Sorry no experience with the scopes in question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My short experience (two weeks) with the ATN reflex sight is a mixed blessing, at best. It is bulky, sits up high on the pistol and adds weight. I would prefer a smaller, lighter, less obtrusive sight that doesn't change the overall look of the MKIII. The reflex sight is less bulky than the standard red dot sights, but...still bulky. Main advantage over the standard red dot is the field of view is practically unlimited. In my opinion it is just OK; a sight step up over the factory sights....and if your old eyes are as bad as mine are, you need some help like this.

One distinct disadvantage of this particular sight is the location of the standard 3 volt lithium battery...you have to remove the sight to change batteries. You have to get used to aquiring the hologram reticle as well...when you first turn the sight on, you think it isn't working until you move the pistol slightly down to pick up the floating reticle...it isn't like looking down the mechanical sights...mine was shooting pretty low when I first started adjusting the elevation screw. Sighting in was easy, though and only took a few shots to zero. Really bright sun is a problem and you have to turn up the intensity to the max, but the reticle is visible in bright sun, unlike some reviews I read that said it wasn't. The more I shoot it, the better I like it (within the objections I listed above)...I read a review of the Burris Fast Fire and it was similiar to my experiences with this sight only my sight is a lot easier to adjust and zero than the Fast Fire. The fast Fire is a whole lot smaller and less obtrusive than the ATN, so....that might be a better choice, although everyone says the Doctor reflex sights are tops...they are also pretty pricey. For less than $90.00, the ATN Ultra Sight seeems a fair value.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i don't know if i'm the only one with this "problem" on my refex it has a choice of 4 reticals.i sighted it in with the circle/crosshair option,i tried shooting trying the other retical options and couldn't hit where i was aiming. back to the bench hummm??? still sighted in where ihad it. after shooting allmost a brick was very upset still hitting in different spots.so went back to just the plain ol dot and wonder of wonders started hitting where i wanted it to.so i guess all the other stuff around the dot, was maybe distracting me ? i had been shooting a regular 30mm dot with just the one dot for about a year and just wanted to try the reflex. i like the reflex but was just wondering if anyone else had gone through something like this. i'll probobly try the other reticals later but for now i'll keep it on the single dot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've sighted in the circle dot reticle...if I change reticles, I have to re-sight the different reticle...none seem to zero off the previous reticle...Yeah, keep to just one reticle and don't change...the digital model claims to not have this issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
on the bench my point of aim didn't change with any of the "new different" reticals ijust couldn't hit where i "thought" i was aiming. so thats all i could think of it might be,i was distracted unless using the single dot. talk to you later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts