Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new MK III is enroute. After shooting my buddy's with a basic Tasco Red Dot I became hooked!
I'm thinking of purchasing a Tasco, Bushnell or even Millet's SP-1 Red Dot
What's the feeling here as to red dots and specific brands under $100.00. Any input on this subject, including batteries is appreciated!
Thanks folks!

SD

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have experience with the millett sp with the 3 minute dot. I used this on a t/c contender 44mag and a t/c contender 22lr match barrel. Several thousand rds thru each down range with this set-up and both milletts held up well. Went with the millett because it had the smaller 3 minute dot and a 1" tube. The brightness of the dot was very good on a cloudless day and could see the dot on the ram easily at 100 meters without the dot covering up too much of the target.
Good battery life if you remember to cut it off.

I've seen tascos self-destruct on larger calibers but they probably would be ok for a .22.
Never got to try a bushnell dot.

This was several years back. I guess they are of the same quality today as then.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,712 Posts
Song Dawg, I started out with a 30mm BSA R/D. It soon demoed on my MK III (projection lens came loose). I bought the 1 " Millet and boy what a difference. The dot size and brightness will put the cheap R/Ds to shame. I went with the 1" tube because there is very little advantage to a larger tube in a non-magnified scope. I haven't used a Tasco or Bushnell so I have no input on them.

Here's my MK III with the Millet. Since the picture was taken, I replaced the rings and base with a Ruger steel set for compatibility with my 2X conventional scope. Note: the Millet R/D has the optional sun shade screwed on the front of the tube.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
One word of caution on the millett or any of these where you are using rings---make sure the ring is not placed over a lens in the tube. Have seen people try to get the rings/scope as tight as possible to keep it in place during heavy recoil. They tightened the rings to the point that they damaged the tube and cracked the lens!

Nice pic Iowegan!

·
Banned
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the Millet SP-1!
Thanks for the input, Deputy125 and Iowegan!
...and yes,nice pic!
Now I just play the waiting game with my nose firmly planted on the window.:)

It's funny! I've shot and tweaked rimfires all my long life but a few shots with my buddy's MKII w/ red dot and it was like discovering shooting all over again....... if that makes any sense!

Thanks again!

SD

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You'l like it. No magnification means less wobble, minimal weight added, and less bulk added compared to a scope. Just pick up one of those nylon flap holsters to pack it and enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts