Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I received this Ruger as a gift from my in-laws. I'm not too farm iliac with the red labels. However I was wondering what the value is currently so I can weigh out my options.

It was in line of production in 2002. 401-27xxx.
It's in excellent shape, was used for skeet only a handful of times
Comes with the booklet still.
Has screw in chokes and an addition 8 chokes.
26 barrel
With 3 chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like you have a dandy. I wouldn't be considering letting it go, at least until I'd shot it some and then you won't want to let it go. If you want to know what it is worth, I'd look for similar sales (key word) on gunbroker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
30 inch barrels bring the best price. 26 inch the least. Longer barrels are all the rage these days. Gunbroker.com will give you a good idea what Red label's are selling for. Just my thoughts. Grade6man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree that Gunbroker will help you establish retail value. But IMO, my Red Label 12ga is one of the sweetest and best handling firearms I own. When we venture out, Son and Son In Law both argue with me over who gets to shoot my Red Label. I have used both and Ithaca and Winchester semi auto and the Red Label O/U is still the one for me. Don't be too hasty to dispose of it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems to be the common trend here, everyone suggesting to fire it first. I might take it out turkey hunting, how do ya think she'll do?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
since it's already been used a little, it certainly won't devalue it for you to go out and try it out a bit. if you love it, keep it-- you won't be able to get another one, particularly a 20ga, new in the future, and the price will likely rise. so either way, holding onto it for now is in your best interests. and in a few years, when the long barrel hype swings the other way, so to speak, AND they're scarce, it could command a modestly handsome price in the used market.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Shoot it and hang onto it. I had a Red Label 20 that I let get away and hardly a dove season passes that I don't want it back:(

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Keep it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Keep it. I have had my 20ga.Red Label for 20 years or so and it will never be sold. liked it so much I bought a 12 ga. Sporting clays model with the 30 inch bbl. 2 years later. Would never go back to a pump or Semi-auto at least for hunting or Skeet/trap shooting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Someone told me there is no more customer service from Ruger on the Red Label shotguns. Is that true? Just wondered what anyone knows for sure. thanks, Grade6man

·
One Star
9,637 Posts
Hey guys! I received this Ruger as a gift from my in-laws. I'm not too farm iliac with the red labels. However I was wondering what the value is currently so I can weigh out my options.

It was in line of production in 2002. 401-27xxx.
It's in excellent shape, was used for skeet only a handful of times
Comes with the booklet still.
Has screw in chokes and an addition 8 chokes.
26 barrel
With 3 chamber.
Sweet,very nice.:)

·
One Star
9,637 Posts
Wish it was mine,never got anything that sweet from my in-laws.lol And they were good in-laws.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased 2 -20 ga Red Labels when they first came out and both had beautiful stocks. But the forearm wouldn't stay on for some reason. That soured me off them and I sold them both. Hopefully they have improved since then? Since they had a rubber pad I think the stock was too short for me and I never shot them well.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
They discontinued making them for a reason but Ruger couldn't leave well enough alone and a few years ago reintroduced an improved version only to be discontinued a second time. But in all fairness the 20gn reportedly didn't have as many issues as the 12's.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'm late as usual to this discussion, I have had my 20 ga, Red Label for I believe around 40 Years and am looking to see if Brilys can choke it as it has full and modified, as ordered, barrels. I use it for pheasants now, it used to be one of my duck guns.

Long & short of it I'd keep it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts