Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of wanting a Red Label, I finally own one! I was casually walking around a pawn shop during lunch yesterday when I spied, within the glass countertop, a Ruger Red Label. It didn’t take long to make up my mind that I had to have it. It is a 2014 12 gauge and is in really great shape. Can’t wait to get this out in the field this fall!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,882 Posts
Nice looking wood stocks. That's an interesting find at a pawn shop.

Humble suggestion... Maybe get it to the patterning board with some big pieces of butcher paper or craft paper, just to see how well the barrels are regulated. If they are then you can hardly go wrong with this as a field gun.

I only suggest this because I'm always paranoid about pawn shops and wonder why someone pawned it off. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a good suggestion and something I try to do with shotguns anyway. I’m not overly worried about this though. It was sold on consignment, not a pawn, and the shop is a reputable gun shop in their own right. I’d say at least half of their business is buying, selling, ordering guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
Congratulations on the new-to-you Red Label. It's a fine working mans O/U and I mean no disrespect. Solid, functional and well made. I've owned several over the years and still have one in 12 ga plus the one that was my Dad's in 20 ga. My son has a 20 ga as well so we're fans of the RL.

I'm partial to English stocks and found my 12 ga RL on GunBroker for $750 a couple years ago. After I got this one I sold my pistol grip stocked RL. My Dad's 20 ga is also an English stocked model so I have a set so to speak.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Congratulations on your find, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Waveform, I too love the sporter stocks, or as you called them English stocks, I've got a Browning BSS with just such a stock. Do wish my other O/U's had them. Been looking for a RL for quite some time, but to no avail, especially with the "English" stock.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,753 Posts
Welcome to the club, they are great shotguns, and one of the favorites in my collection.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bought my 12ga Red Label back in 1989 and have always loved it. It is a beautiful gun and the perfect field gun. Maybe a little too heavy to carry all day but it always brought home supper.

A couple of years ago I passed on to my grandson with the stipulation that he can’t get rid of it until I’m gone. He assured me he’ll own it until it’s given to his grandson. So far he’s been taking better care of it than I did...well maybe about the same.

I really enjoyed “Old Red.”

1 - 10 of 10 Posts