Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dog229 here,
I had ruger change my forearm wood on my 1996 red label 12g. that had been damaged and today i got it by ups and the checkering pattern is not what was on the original wood i sent that they said could not be sent back to me. The new one has heavy checkering and more points. My asking ruger to please match has close to the original wood they said they would do their best but i didn't know of the checkering changing. Does anyone know when this may had change during the run of red labels? Also, it does match the stock wood in color and finish but does not match the checkering on it.
Has anyone had this problem with ruger on replacement wood and is my replacement wood for later made red labels or early models?
Thanks guys for any help on info.
Dog229 Gone

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
first of all, welcome. second of all, i'm jealous. i've been wanting a red label now for awhile. thirdly, be patient-- someone here will definitely have some solid advice for you. you might also want to go over and join the shotgun forum advertised at the top of the banner and post the same question in their ruger shotgun subforum. might get some traction there, too. good luck!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hi dog229 - I'm no expert but I did check one resource and I see there have been several variants in the checkering of the 12 gauge Red Labels. Known examples include 4-point checkering pattern on the pistol grip with 8-point checkering pattern on the forearm. Later a 3-point checkering pattern on the pistol grip was mated with the 8-point checkering pattern on the forearm. Later still the 3-point pistol pattern was mated with a 5-point style pattern on the forearm (similar to the M-77). Based on your description I'm guessing you had a 5-point style pattern forearm before and now you have an 8-point pattern?

There are a couple ways to look at this - the pattern has changed several times over the years and there is no "correct" pattern. Also Ruger is known for producing "clean up guns" made from available parts and unusual variants are often the result across all product lines.

Then there is this statement from Ruger's website:

Due to the discontinuation of Red Label Shotguns, there will be limited service and parts for these models.

You may be fortunate that Ruger was able to replace your forearm with a good match in wood color and grain. The day will soon come I fear that no such replacement parts will be available. You may have received a new forearm from old stock that predates your gun. Have you contacted Ruger about it? This may be the only forearm they have available and you have to accept it OR perhaps someone grabbed the wrong style by mistake and they can swap it out. You won't know unless you ask.

Good luck!

Wave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reply to wave

dog229 here,

Thank you for your reply. My stock has three points going toward the receiver.
And the new replacement has five going toward the center.
Being that i know of the swap out i guess that most people won't know the difference. I talked to mark at ruger and ask to have the tech match it as close has possible so not knowing how many they had i will never know but my gun being a 96-97 production year gun would this be for early or later made production gun you think? The gun is really nice in condition so would having this happen would the mismatch devalue the gun at all or would anyone every know?
I was going to call monday to talk to mark if it would be possible to get back my original forearm even that it is cracked and damaged but like you mentioned that parts will be coming no more down the road for this gun so i should feel lucky to have this corrected now.
This is my first really nice o/u shotgun being that i can not afford a 3-5k browning i just want to enjoy shooting doves on my farm in kentucky with my kids.
Again, thanks for your words!
dog229 gone
Happy Thanksgiving and be safe

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
dog229 here,

Thank you for your reply. My stock has three points going toward the receiver.
And the new replacement has five going toward the center.
Being that i know of the swap out i guess that most people won't know the difference. I talked to mark at ruger and ask to have the tech match it as close has possible so not knowing how many they had i will never know but my gun being a 96-97 production year gun would this be for early or later made production gun you think? The gun is really nice in condition so would having this happen would the mismatch devalue the gun at all or would anyone every know?
I was going to call monday to talk to mark if it would be possible to get back my original forearm even that it is cracked and damaged but like you mentioned that parts will be coming no more down the road for this gun so i should feel lucky to have this corrected now.
This is my first really nice o/u shotgun being that i can not afford a 3-5k browning i just want to enjoy shooting doves on my farm in kentucky with my kids.
Again, thanks for your words!
dog229 gone
Happy Thanksgiving and be safe
dog229, I'm sure the doves won't care about the checkering pattern on your Red Label! :D

Take a look at the photo below - sometimes a picture is better than words. The RL on top is a 12 ga from 1986. The middle RL is a 12 ga from 2011 (last year of production). The bottom RL is a 20 ga from 1999. The middle and bottom examples have the same checkering pattern and date newer than your RL. The old 12 ga on top is quite a few years older but the pattern is clearly different. Do any of these look familar, either old forearm or new? Note the checkering on the pistol grip is the same on all three guns.

Wave

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
dog229, I'm sure the doves won't care about the checkering pattern on your Red Label! :D

Take a look at the photo below - sometimes a picture is better than words. The RL on top is a 12 ga from 1986. The middle RL is a 12 ga from 2011 (last year of production). The bottom RL is a 20 ga from 1999. The middle and bottom examples have the same checkering pattern and date newer than your RL. The old 12 ga on top is quite a few years older but the pattern is clearly different. Do any of these look familar, either old forearm or new? Note the checkering on the pistol grip is the same on all three guns.

Wave

damn you, wave! the taunting! oh, the taunting. i think i'm going to start keeping track of how many red label dreams i have each night.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts