Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Need some help. I have a 28 G Ruger Red label that gets quite hot after one or 2 boxes of target loads (AA or Fed #8"s)
Any ideas as to what is going on?
Much appreciate your responses
Hawkeyeod

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
It's just physics, and one of the reasons many wear gloves while shooting trap or skeet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I've shot multiple O/U's in all gauges and none every have gotten this hot. Even my gunsmith was surprised when he tested it. I do use gloves for sure. I agree they are important as any other equipment we use
Hawkeyeod

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did. They don't support the gun anymore and really couldn't care less. It was the most disappointing conversation I ever had with a manufacturer of any product.
Thanks for the idea and taking the time to respond. I do appreciate that
Hawkeyeod

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I don’t know what you expected when you called about a product that has been out of production for years and has no support in parts or service. This is published on their website and has been for years. When you call customer service you don’t talk to a technician you get a service rep and they go off scripts and canned responses. You would get the same response if you called about lots of retired and obsolete Ruger products.
I’m sorry Ruger can’t help you but I also don’t share your expectations when it comes to retired and unsupported products.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The OP will really needs to speak to other 28 ga. owners to get any meaningful feedback. I owned a 20 ga. Red Label many years ago, I never noticed excessive heat but then I never looked for it. The lower amount if steel in the smaller gauge barrels might explain the heat, or not. He needs to hear from other owners.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I don’t know what you expected when you called about a product that has been out of production for years and has no support in parts or service. This is published on their website and has been for years. When you call customer service you don’t talk to a technician you get a service rep and they go off scripts and canned responses. You would get the same response if you called about lots of retired and obsolete Ruger products.
I’m sorry Ruger can’t help you but I also don’t share your expectations when it comes to retired and unsupported products.
There is still something to be said for a company that stands behind their products.
One reason I like Leupold scopes.
I got much the same treatment when looking for a front sight for my 10/22 mag.

Reactions: drumb0621

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Yep - Ruger CS is great but when it comes to the Red Label, Security series revolvers, tang safety M77, 3 screw revolvers, Hawkeye pistols, 357 Maximum, etc. you are on your own.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Is there any let up or break during your shooting like to move to another station?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were making this gun as recent as 2014, so yes I expect a reasonable amount of support. Benelli has a 10 year on all their weapons, Leupold seems like a life time on their products. What you didn't hear was the absolute lack of concern about the problem at the other end of the phone call.
I shoot standard Trap and 5 stand, so there is not much time for cool down. This problem is independent of ambient temps as I shoot in New England all year long
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm new to the forum and appreciate the effort
Hawkeyeod

·
Registered
33 Posts
They were making this gun as recent as 2014, so yes I expect a reasonable amount of support. Benelli has a 10 year on all their weapons, Leupold seems like a life time on their products. What you didn't hear was the absolute lack of concern about the problem at the other end of the phone call.
I shoot standard Trap and 5 stand, so there is not much time for cool down. This problem is independent of ambient temps as I shoot in New England all year long
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm new to the forum and appreciate the effort
Hawkeyeod
I agree with you but when you go to a Ruger forum you are going to get lots of Ruger fans and very few objective opinions. Supporting a product "YOU" built for 10-15 years seems reasonable to many of us. Not to Ruger. I still like Ruger guns but their Quality control is abismal as is their support for guns such as yours (and mine). Others seem to really like the fact that they purchase a new Ruger, it doesn't work right, so they send it back to Ruger several times and love the CS..... go figure. There is never time do it right, but always time do it over. I removed the cover between the barrels on my Red Label and it seems to dissipate the heat very well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the first helpful reply. I will pass that on to my gunsmith as I know better to put any tools into my hands.
I love the fit, flow and I do hit well with it.
Be safe in this new world
Hawkeyeod

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the first helpful reply. I will pass that on to my gunsmith as I know better to put any tools into my hands.
I love the fit, flow and I do hit well with it.
Be safe in this new world
Hawkeyeod
My gun is not here for me to look at but as I recall it is just the removal of two or three allen head flat screws on both sides. If I had my gun here I could be more helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts