Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
redding dies at midsouth show them as having dies simply for 38 special and for 357 only. IE a 38 special full length sizer, bullet seater, crimper die. Same for 357 magnum.

IS THAT ACTUALLY HOW THEY WORK?

Hornady American Series 3 die set shows it as being 357 magnum only.. is that the case?

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,663 Posts
redding dies at midsouth show them as having dies simply for 38 special and for 357 only. IE a 38 special full length sizer, bullet seater, crimper die. Same for 357 magnum.
My Redding dies came to me used but very nice. I wanted a dedicated set for .357 and another for .38. I've some Lyman dies I use for case-mouth expansion and seating on .38s.

I don't see why the .357 dies I have could not be screwed down for .38s. I don't, since I don't like the hassle of resetting dies I have dialed in to exactly what I want. I resize .38s in the Redding .357 die without changing it. It's a carbide die, too. Very nice, as I don't have to lube the cases. I only load with a single-stage press and go at a "stately pace."

Most of my gear is RCBS, but I'm going to always look for Redding dies in future.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Redding makes dies of all types and they cater to the needs of a lot of competitive shooters. Some people want dedicated dies, so they make dedicated dies. BUT they also make the standard combo three die set, which is what I use. I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012630422?pid=798333

If you are looking for die sets, I would recommend buying a crimp die and seat and crimp in two different operations.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If you want to and know how to re adjust 38 special dies you can load 357 magnum with them .
In years past 357 magnum dies were too long to adjust down to 38 special thus if marked 357 magnum , that was all they would reload . Except the longer 357 Maximum.

Check the part numbers for the dies . 38 and 357 have the same part number then it will reload both.
38 has a different part number from 357 then chances are they are caliber specific .

Call/ email the maker or call Midway to verify...that would be the best answer .
Gary

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Truth be told there’s really no difference between the Redding and Hornady except the price, about $55, and I’m a Redding guy.

The difference between .38spl and .357 Mag is .135”, so one would have to make that correction and it can a PITA to get right, (ask me how I know). Many years ago after crushing a hand of .357 brass, but finally getting it right, I told the old Codger who broke me in about my experience. After which he told how he has forgotten more than I know, (true at the time) he told me the simple fix is a washer between the die and the press.

Within the last 10 years I bought a new set of RCBS dies for .38/.357 and there it was the spacer ring. I can only assume Redding and Hornady provide those now too.

Personally I’d go with the RCBS (part #18212) it comes with a hard case, (Hornady may not) and 2 seater stems, (not sure about the Redding or Hornady). You can probably find it for around $51 at Amazon, Midsouth or who ever your go to source is.

Your money, your choice.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
I use my .38 Special dies for .357, and have for about 40 years. To do this easily, I have a set of spacers made to easily make the change.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Bought two sets of Hornady 38 special dies........one for 38 and other for 357. Have had no problem with either set.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you are looking for die sets, I would recommend buying a crimp die and seat and crimp in two different operations.
I understand the accuracy shooters do this.

#95182 for 357 Dual Carbide sizing die
#95183 for 38 Dual Carbide sizing die
#55282 for 38/357 Seating die
#31282 for 38/357 Profile crimp die with micrometer

·
Registered
377 Posts
Redding makes spacer rings for going from Special to magnum loads. Recommended.

/\ /\ /\
This! They come in a set of three for 44spec/mag, 38 spec/357 mag (they are not the same thickness although most of us could get by with either spacer, I believe they are 0.010" different) and a thinner one to turn your crimp/seat die into non crimping without your having to readjust the lock ring (you do have to change the seating stem depth between the seating and crimping operations).

Bruce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts