Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear opinions of the Redhawk .357? Give me the good, the bad, or the ugly? Please add any comments you might wish(Pro or Con?)?:)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have never owned one in .357, but have owned a couple in .44. Now, that being said, I feel one in .357 is just a tad bit of overkill. The Redhawk is way too big a gun to be chambered in .357, IMHO. Heck, even the GP100 is a fairly big gun compared to a Smith and Wesson. Now if you want one, by all means buy one! But, as they have been out of production for several years now, be prepared to pay a pretty price for it too. Without a doubt, it is the strongest .357 Mag revolver ever produced!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Pointblank, they are virtually "indestructible" talk about the 'brick outhouse'.....very hefty too, little or no recoil....yes, they are going up and up in value too.... I just sold the last one I had this past Sunday, guy got a very GOOD deal too, 5 1/2-inch stainless model, in the box..............

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'd like to have one just because. If you just want one get one. If you just want a .Ruger .357 about that size I'd suggest the GP100. I have the 6" SS version and it's a great gun. Gets better everytime it's shot. You can find them used pretty easy as well.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rugerguy:

1)That's a beautiful Redhawk .357. Was it NIB or had it been fired much?

2)I found one just like yours but, it doesn't have a box with it. It has the 5.5" barrel. Although I would like to buy this Redhawk .357, I'd like it better if I could find a box for it? Anybody have a box they'd want to part with?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Very nice Rugerguy! And like Bountyhunter, I'd like to have one just because. From what I recall of pics I've seen in the past of the cylinder walls, they're very thick and beefy. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hard cases

rugerguy:

1)That's a beautiful Redhawk .357. Was it NIB or had it been fired much?

2)I found one just like yours but, it doesn't have a box with it. It has the 5.5" barrel. Although I would like to buy this Redhawk .357, I'd like it better if I could find a box for it? Anybody have a box they'd want to part with?
Hard cases are around, try this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Se...rchType=0&Keywords=Redhawk+hard+case&Cat=3014

They are going for about the same price as Ruger.com is charging.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Smith & Wesson had their N-frame revolver that was chambered in 44 Mag (Mod 29/629) and their Cadillac 357 Mag (Model 27), so to compete, Ruger made the Redhawk, which is an "N" frame sized gun but way stronger in all respects. The 357 Mag Redhawk was indeed a massive overkill that has gone down in history as the strongest 357 Mag production revolver ever made. It was also chambered in the 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 41 Mag. All but the 44 Mag were discontinued until the recent announcement of the 4" 45 Colt Redhawk.

The Redhawk has one of the most unique DA revolver designs ever made. It uses a single spring with dual functions ... hammer spring and trigger return spring. Many people cuss the design because they can't get the trigger pull down to acceptable levels by just changing springs without getting light primer hits. Once you learn the tricks, you can easily get S&W N-frame trigger smoothness and equally light pull yet full primer dents.

Cosmetically, I like the looks of a Redhawk better than any other Ruger DA revolver. The very thing that gives it a classy look is also one of its bad points .... grips. Instead of using a "grip stud" like the SP-101, GP-100, and SRH, Ruger chose to make a full sized grip frame. With all other Ruger DAs, you can buy grips from tiny hand size grips to gorilla sized. The full sized Redhawk grip frame can't be made smaller so our small handed shooting friends find it hard to handle. People with large hands love it. Redhawks are way fun to shoot but not so fun to carry ... like a boat anchor.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim D:

Actually, the box I'd need would be the correctly marked cardboard box for an 5.5" Redhawk .357 for collectibility purposes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've always wanted one. Finally found one by chance one day.

It is thus far the only one I've ever seen (other than pics).

I love mine!

Beefy? You betcha!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iowegan:

Thanks for providing the excellent review of the Redhawk .357! I enjoyed it very much! Hopefully, some other members will respond with their opinions or experiences with these Redhawk .357's also?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine was what I would consider to be LNIB. It was difficult to determine if it had been shot or not when I got it. It certainly looked brand new. I've put maybe 300 rounds thru it. I agree with Iowegan about the grips. They look way cool, but I'd prefer something less 'round', with a closer trigger reach for shooting with my medium size hands. The gun IS heavy! Recoil is almost a joke.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm surprised that there haven't been anymore comments regarding the Redhawk .357 from owner's both past and present? Surely, there must be more of you who could input some new information here? Where are the rest of the 5,000-10,000 Redhawk .357 owner's?:confused::)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just shot my second RedHawk 357 Mag yesterday. I owned my first one back in 1988 and shot it a lot! It forced me to take up handloading and it was a truly great gun to learn loading on. Almost impossible to injure yourself with that monster. Being young and having a bit of money shortage forced me to part with it. I ended up winning one on Gun Auction last week and picked it up yesterday at a range I frequent. I put together some Tite Group 38s and some Tite Group 357 Mags both with 158 SWC/HPs. The 38's felt like 22 mags and the 357's felt like 38's lol. It was just as sweet as it was 20 or 21 years ago. The second pistol I ever owned was a 8" Colt Royal Blue Python back in 84 or 85 (mowed an @$$load of yards to buy that sweet gun) but my memories are fonder of that RR than that wonderful mid 80's Python. The one I picked up yesterday is gonna hang around alot longer BG

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love the Ruger Redhawk and own several of them in .41, .44, and .45. The Redhawk is an extremely strong revolver and is definitely overkill in that respect in the .41, not too mention the .357. In 5.5" guns it will weigh about 3.5 ounces more in .357 than in .44. For me personally that means way too heavy a gun for the .357 cartridge.
However, if you just want to shoot it and not carry it, I think you will find it a very comfortable and accurate gun to shoot in .357. Also, it should be pretty much impervious to any handloading boo-boos, and should appreciate over the years as a collectable.

Best regards, BIGBOOMER

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love to see pictures of a .357 Redhawk with it's cylinder open. That cylinder has to weigh a ton in .357. Come to think of it the whole gun has to be on the hefty side. But that is a good thing. I would jump all over one of those!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I bought one in the 7" (or was it 7-1/2"?) for my son when he went into the Navy, in '86. The little snot got a dishonorable so I sold it in '90 (talk about MAJOR brain fart). Been kicking myself for about fifteen years now.

I DO have one in a .41 Mag. REALLY like that one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts