Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just bought a REDHAWK.357 for home defense. Traded in a Glock 26 and a 42.
As of now thinking.38’s in plus P’s for the home.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Tom, love the dog picture. We use Federal wad cutters 148 grain for home defense.Light recoil ,no night time muzzle blast I believe and will leave a nice big hole and less chance of over penetration when dealing with undocumented residents.Where we live a missed shot could end up in a neighbor's house.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Welcome aboard...and nice acquisition with the Redhawk in .357 magnum.
I grew up on the .357 magnum cartridge and I've owned several GP100's, but never a Redhawk, in .357...loved 'em all!

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Glock 26 would serve you better for HD than +p 38s in a steel redhawk. Did you get the Redhawk for the reliability of a revolver?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-mom-shoots-home-intruder-face-article-1.1234400

I've also read accounts of other home invaders being shot in the face with +P 38s multiple times and leaving the house.

Don't underestimate 1 attacker already intoxicated, never mind 2 or 3. And anyone on PCP or meth is even worse. That Ruger will handle much higher powered rounds easily that are still considered medium power and far less than full powered rounds that would be a much better choice for HD.

If you have some disability preventing you from firing 357 HPs, then I could see using 38s. I can see +P 38s loaded in a j frame or an LCR as an extra gun in a drawer in the house, but not as the primary for HD. Better than nothing though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kept Glock 19 g5 with attached light. This is another house gun as wanting a .357 that would shoot with low recoil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also wanted a better snake gun than the 9mm.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like revolvers for bear defense because of the higher intensity chambering they come in (.44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger), but for home defense my choice is a Glock 21 with a Surefire X300 Ultra weapon light on the rail and a 13-round magazine full of .45 Auto hollow-points.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My wife's carry is a 38 Special loaded with 158gr semi-wadcutters traveling at just over 800fps. Neither of us feel under gunned. Shot placement is everything.
Just in case you want a slower defense round in 357 I read a lot of good things about the Remington Golden Sabers. They shoot very accurately and reliably in my 357's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First thing, I wouldn’t want to be shot with anything, I suspect this opinion is shared by 100% of bad guys.
Second thing, bad guy does not know what caliber you may be shooting him with.
Third thing, it would be a rare man indeed who chose to remain and fight while you were blasting away with your .38 Special +P, or anything else for that matter.
Last thing, bullet placement trumps caliber.

GS

·
Registered
223 Posts
First thing, I wouldn’t want to be shot with anything, I suspect this opinion is shared by 100% of bad guys.
Second thing, bad guy does not know what caliber you may be shooting him with.
Third thing, it would be a rare man indeed who chose to remain and fight while you were blasting away with your .38 Special +P, or anything else for that matter.
Last thing, bullet placement trumps caliber.

GS
What about six home invaders breaking down your front door at 2AM, or a meth-fueled crazy that absorbs all 6 shots from your .38 and keeps coming? Also, if bullet placement trumps caliber then we just solved the bear defense revolver for your recoil averse wife question. Just get her a .22LR.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I suppose you could come up with 1000s of what-ifs. Could be a bus of 100 hop heads breaking down your door. Who knows? If one is really paranoid, keep a ar-15 (or two) with with 25 (30 better?) high capacity loaded magazines, and with 4 or 5 glocks stuck around him/her, plus a backup gun or two in the boot.... Oh yeah, a high cap 12 gauge shotgun should also be handy for all those guys piling through the doors. That said, I think I'll stick with my 5 shoot .44 Special Bulldog and call it good. Hope I never have to use it. This isn't the movies... :)

Enjoy your .357 Redhawk, my dad bought one, and I have it now. I shoot .357 cases loaded with 158g SWCs in them with velocities around 1000fps. Will not 'bounce' off the target.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I suppose you could come up with 1000s of what-ifs. Could be a bus of 100 hop heads breaking down your door. Who knows? If one is really paranoid, keep a ar-15 (or two) with with 25 (30 better?) high capacity loaded magazines, and with 4 or 5 glocks stuck around him/her, plus a backup gun or two in the boot.... Oh yeah, a high cap 12 gauge shotgun should also be handy for all those guys piling through the doors. That said, I think I'll stick with my 5 shoot .44 Special Bulldog and call it good. Hope I never have to use it. This isn't the movies... :)

Enjoy your .357 Redhawk, my dad bought one, and I have it now. I shoot .357 cases loaded with 158g SWCs in them with velocities around 1000fps. Will not 'bounce' off the target.
I suggested two. I think I've got them covered. Anything more than that and shotguns and AR's come to mind. I've got that covered also.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Damn!!! I hadn't considered bears! And regarding these meth fueled invaders. Is there any chance they could be female, 'cause I hear that meth...well, you know.
I need to re-evaluate my home defense strategy. That being said, I love this place! :)

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
Living in a townhouse and lake house the other part of the year a 357 would be a little too much for me. I keep a 12 gauge Mossy loaded with shortshells and a S&W Governor with Hornady self defense 410's. Once in awhile the 45 ACP comes to bed with me but the shotgun shells are king in my house.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Also consider 158 grain semiwadcutter hollowpoint. Used for decades by Chicago pd in a redhawk moderate recoil and good stopping power.

·
Registered
229 Posts
357 Redhawk is a serious business gun. Due to its weight, you could load up 180gr 38s and those will go all the way through a crack head

·
Registered
25 Posts
Best SD ammo for revolvers

I use Remington Golden Saber 38 Special +P in my 38 Special and sometimes 357 Magnum revolvers. Check out the Lucky Gunner testing of SD ammo. This round ranks the best for penetration and expansion in short barreled revolvers. I also make a clone of the Golden Saber, just because I can. I can push the velocity on those loads, but usually keep it at 875 fps just like the store-bought version.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you tell me if using .38 lead wadcutters will mess up my 2” REDHAWK barrel (.357).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wadcutters will not mess up your barrel. I am assuming these are in .38spl cases. The only thing you need to watch out for is crud building up in your chambers. Because the 38 is shorter than the 357, there is a possibility that crud will build up making it difficult to chamber the longer 357 rounds. To avoid this, just clean your chambers with some solvent and a brass brush after shooting the wadcutters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts