Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started off with a Kodiak Backpacker and wasn't happy with the lack of grip options. Then I picked up an Alaskan. Hogue Tamers had to go since they ate up trigger reach. I was happy but still had the nagging thought that I shoulda gone with the 4.2" Redhawk. I found a local deal and jumped on. Today I managed to get to the range for some pew pew therapy.

I ran the 4.2 head to head with the Alaskan. Two different power levels of 44 magnum ammo were used.

Trigger pull: Even with hammer/trigger shims and a Wolff reduced hammer spring in the Alaskan the 4.2 beats it.

Trigger reach: Shockingly I get considerably more booger hook on the trigger of the 4.2". Even with the Lett grips the Alaskan's trigger reach is further. If you have smaller hands the Redhawk is the gun for you.

Accuracy: I found the 4.2 more accurate in my hands. The longer sight radius, better trigger and red insert in the ramp all helped.

Recoil: It was different. I wish I could definitively say one was softer or worse than the other.

Controllability: I think the 4.2 recovered, shot to shot, faster than the Alaskan. I would need to run them on the timer to see for sure.

Conclusion: I need more range time to decide anything. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,043 Posts
Nice pair. Interesting about the trigger since they are identical guns except for the barrel length. Thanks for the range report and comparison. Good to know.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pair. Interesting about the trigger since they are identical guns except for the barrel length. Thanks for the range report and comparison. Good to know.
Well the Alaskan has the same action as the GP100/SP101 and uses a stud for the grip frame. The Redhawk has a different action - I don't know how to describe it - and a traditional grip frame.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice guns! I believe the Alaskan in 480 Ruger or .454 Casual has a heavier mainspring than the .44 mag version. I think it is 15# stock for the two heavier calibers. This may make a difference, you did not say what caliber you compared. Comparing the two models which one points more naturally for you? Just curious, I already have the Alaskan in 480 Ruger, but have not handled the Redhawk 4.2" model yet!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Cary,

I thought the flutes gave the caliber away. Both guns are 44 magnum. True apples to apples comparison.

·
Super Moderator
4,043 Posts
Well the Alaskan has the same action as the GP100/SP101 and uses a stud for the grip frame. The Redhawk has a different action - I don't know how to describe it - and a traditional grip frame.
I did not know that. I thought the Alaskan was just a short barreled Redhawk. Learning has occurred.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never shot the Alaskan, but I like my 4.2". I made up some lighter rounds with Titegroup and they are easy on the hands. My rounds with 4227 are more of a punishment to the hand if I have the wood Altamont grips installed. I'm thinking about making up some rounds with 300gn bullets and 296 for hog hunting rounds. I ran a few rounds of my TG and 4227 stuff through the chrono one day. My 4227 rounds averaged 1236 fps, the 6gn of TG avg 750 fps, 6.5gn of TG avg 828 fps. Some factory rounds from Fiocchi 240gn avg 1172 fps.

I put the stock rubber grips back on the other night after installing the Wolff spring since I plan to carry it during hog hunts this winter. I'm hoping next week to hit the range some more and the 4.2 will likely make the trip along with a couple of rifles I'm working on

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
240's @ 1020fps are the sweet spot for me. I gotta do my job to control but they aren't punishing.

240's @ 1180fps push the limit of fun.

225's @ 1145fps are what I an comfortable using for serious work.

*weights and velocities are factory specs.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
If you have smaller hands the Redhawk is the gun for you.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I would have to disagree. I have smaller hands for a guy and recently sold my Redhawk and kept my Alaskan.

No matter how much I wanted to like the Redhawk it's full size grip frame was just too long and wide for me. It's thicker than a Smith & Wesson N frame and has an awkward backstrap hump that was digging in. That hump was also seen on the early model Security Six's before they changed the grip frame. I had tried probably 6-7 different grips before finally caving in, everything from original rosewood panels to Hogues, to Eagle, Thailand made grips, etc. and could never find anything that allowed me to comfortably get a good hold.

I like the Redhawk but it's really made for bigger hands. Love my Alaskan though. I might consider trying one of the round butt Redhawks like the Kodiak or 45acp model.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RevolverGuy-

I came to that conclusion by comparing trigger reach. Without shifting my grip I get the sweet spot of my trigger finger on the Redhawk. I cannot get perfect placement with the Alaskan/Lett combo or any N frame.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've handled the Alaskan (2.5"), the SRH in 7.5", and the Toklat (5"). The 7.5" was too nose heavy for me. I'd love the Alaskan especially for backpacking but the Toklat fit into my Hill People Gear OKB, so I chose that.

The balance of Rugers in 4"-5" range are ideal in my hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
We picked up a lightly used, 2014 production, 4.2" Redhawk, 44 mag and I've been in love with it from the first shot. This is truly the first DA revolver I've owned where I can say it's as easy to shoot in DA as in SA and the SA trigger on our is pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
RevolverGuy,
Just goes to show you that everyone is different. I have three Redhawk's' and I am only 5'5" and have very small hands. I use the stock wood grips that come on the Redhawk's and they fit me great. I Love my Redhawk's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts