Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a SS Redhawk .44 Mag with 7.5” barrel. Any thoughts, what to look for?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Years ago I bought a 7.5" stainless Super Redhawk in 44Magnum. I put a scope on it and it was, simply put, an awesome firearm. I've missed it ever since trading it away. I suspect you'll love your as well.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,903 Posts
Find the grips that fit your hands and it will be fun, accurate, and comfortable. Expect to spend a good bit on ammo. Reloading makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the same revolver, and was having trouble shooting it with the small grips. While at the Wanenmacher show in Tulsa last year I stumbled on a pair of NOS Herrett grips for it.

I put those on, now I can grab of that big revolver, and actually shoot it without being afraid it's going to fly out if my hands.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the same gun in the 5.5 inch barrel. Also have a SW model 29 4 inch and the excellent little Rossi 5 shot with the 2.5 inch barrel. Here is what I know, if you wear that gun on your belt, either strong side or cross carry......it will pull your pants down to your knees. I now carry in a shoulder rig. If you scope it you will need the bigger cross chest carry rig so plan for that and enjoy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is a model #5001, so no scope for me. Popped on a front green pipe sight and a Hogue Monogrip—more comfortable than wood grips for me. Eats everything fed without issue. At 54 oz., recoil is negligible and feels more solid than my lighter (37 oz.) S&W M69...though carry is a different story.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have that same gun. What I looked for was deer. With success I might add. I put Pachmayrs and a Leupold on it. I also picked up a set of dies and load and shoot everything from light .44 Specials to Ruger only .44Mag. I bought the gun new way back when and have probably saved thousands of dollars loading my own over the years with as much as I've shot it. Far and away my favorite hand gun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All good and accurate comments. I have two with 5.5” barrels, one in SS and the other blue. What I like best is the fact that you can shoot any load and it loves it. I admit, some of the Buffalo Bore ammo hurts a little but the RH loves it. Oh, and my SS has the smoothest trigger of any of my other revolvers, Smith, Taurus, Colt, doesn’t matter, this one has them beat! Enjoy!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just got a SS Redhawk .44 Mag with 7.5” barrel. Any thoughts, what to look for?
I have the same pistol. It's a 1970's model. I had the receiver drilled to mount a scope base and have Leupold Red dot mounted on it. I had that mounted several years ago after I had to let a monster buck walk at less than 10 yards just prior to full daylight because I couldn't see the iron sights. It works great. I shot a buck at 80 yards steadying off a dead fall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had a couple of Ruger Red Hawks. Fantastic pistols.
My current is a 5.5" .44 mag. I picked it up in a local pawn/gun shop.
I shoot it Iron Sights. I am partial to the 5" barrel for field use.
I settled on the 5.5" for woods walking.

My .44s have taken multiple Deer, Hogs, a hundred or more Snakes,
and one Elk. The big secret is to always have one handy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts