Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Redhawk 45 acp/colt has been discussed a few times already on the forum (and unfortunately some people seem to have bad experiences with it). I haven't seen one IRL yet, but that revolver that shoots both 45 ACP & colt is like Ruger made it just for me (I know they didn't because they would have made it in 6"). Anyone know of any other revolver combining those calibers without cylinder switch?

I would like to hear from the experienced wheel-gun people what they think about the concept of that revolver, i.e. the trick of having the rim of the 45 colt round only supported by the edge of the cylinder. E.g. what is the effect for reloading, does the case get deformed at the base by not being supported all around?
Are the moonclips for 45 ACP too thin to last long or ensure proper operation?

And finally, any personal experiences with accuracy (especially with 45 ACP), reviews tend to differ?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Well I can not comment on 45 acp because I actually really bought mine for 45 Colt. But I have tried a few rounds of 45 acp just to make sure it functioned correctly (and it did).
I also have not seen any ill effects of the cases in 45 Colt after firing them. But the gun is still pretty new and not fired a whole lot as of yet. I just loaded 500 rounds of 45 colt up so as soon as it warms up a little and quits raining I will be ready.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've read those threads but figured I'd take my chances and ordered one this week along with a bunch of extra moon clips. I should have it in another week or so, I guess we'll see!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
It will not chamber .45 ACP without the moonclips.........I bought mine primarily to use as a .45 ACP, I have nothing else in .45 LC so I don't buy or look for that caliber.

Accuracy with .45 ACP is what I would call "Combat Accurate", you won't be shooting cloverleafs with it in .45 ACP.

Ironically my Redhawk .45 shoots pretty tight with Wolf steel case .45 ACP, but then sprays Sellier & Bellot into shotgun patterns. Other types of .45 gave mediocre accuracy, but for some reason that Wolf shot well through it, I don't know why. I'm going to polish the chambers by hand with Mother's and just start buying Wolf for range shooting.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of moonclips either, so if/when I ever start reloading, at least now I have a .45 LC revolver too, since this is a "hybid".

I don't feel like the .45 ACP feature is "wasted", I have many other guns in .45 ACP and I bought the Redhawk primarily as a "range toy", so I'm having fun trying different types of .45 ACP to see which ones will shoot well.

All of it shot well enough to hit a B-27 silhouette at 15-20 yards, so this is why I say "Combat Accurate".

The S&B didn't shoot too well out of my P90 either, and the P90 is normally accurate, so who knows.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
No affect on the .45 Colt cases here.

The convertible idea has utility, but the single cylinder approach will always have the long .45 Colt chamber for the shorter ACPs to deal with.
Denis

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Almost as good of concept as a moonclipped Super Redhawk in 454Casull/45Colt/45acp...

I think the release of the 45colt/acp convertible Redhawk is a testament to the market Ruger is targeting - Shooters. Guys aren't hunting with a 45acp 4" revolver, nor carrying a hefty Redhawk as a OC or CC defensive weapon. Guys are buying it to SHOOT. It makes a fine "Kit Gun," which is an old Indian word for "fun gun to shoot without a specific purpose while I'm in the field"...

It hits all of the right notes for me - compact barrel, rounded butt grip frame, partial lug... The only way it would be better for me is if it had fixed sights! My absolute pipe dream for it would be a short spur hammer - keep it DA/SA, but ALMOST have a DAO hammer.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Four or five years back I briefly had here a Super Red that had been extensively modified by an outfit I won't mention.

Among other things, it'd been altered to use .454, .45 Colt, and .45 ACP, in the same cylinder.

Accuracy in the ACPs was dismal, and velocities were reduced.
Denis

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Is it the cylinder to forcing cone jump or the difference in diameters (.451 vs .452) that is causing the accuracy issues? I cast my own lead bullets so adjusting the sizing to fit the barrel is not a problem.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It's the "freebore" INSIDE the chambers.
You have the step-down inside each chamber.

The gun has to position that step farther forward to fit the Colt cartridges in, and it's positioned right near the case mouth so that it immediately grabs the bullet on exit/ignition.

In a dedicated ACP chamber, the step's farther to the rear & typically used to sit right at the case mouth (enabling headspacing without clips).
There, it'd also grab the bullet immediately.

In a dual-caliber chamber, with the long Colt step forward, the ACP bullet travels some distance before it's captured by the step & trued to enter the cone for further guidance into the bore.

The bullet diameter & chamber dimension can be an issue, but a secondary one.
Denis

·
Super Moderator
4,069 Posts
These Redhawks are in high demand and when they show up on the shelf they usually don't last long. I can only assume that there are a lot of happy owners because they're selling them as quick as they can build them. The negative experiences some are having I believe are the minority. As usual on the interweb you hear more about the negative experiences than the positive.

I don't own one and I won't own one simply because I don't like moonclips. I do own a 45 Colt Redhawk and I like it a lot. I also own a Vaquero 45 Colt/ACP convertible. I much prefer switching out cylinders than dealing with moonclips. I also think that whatever problems are caused by trying to shoot two different cartridges out of the same cylinder are mitigated by using cartridge specific cylinders. A bonus for me is I like SA revolvers more than I do DA revolvers. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would like to see Ruger build a dedicated 45acp revolver outside of the Redhawk platform. Not sure why though as the 45Colt cartridge will do everything the .45acp will do and then some. i like my SA Flat top convertible in 45acp/45Colt but in that I have two cylinders. Probably not going to happen as there would be little demand.

Take Care

Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,069 Posts
I would like to see Ruger build a dedicated 45acp revolver outside of the Redhawk platform. Not sure why though as the 45Colt cartridge will do everything the .45acp will do and then some. i like my SA Flat top convertible in 45acp/45Colt but in that I have two cylinders. Probably not going to happen as there would be little demand.

Take Care

Bob
If it was DA and didn't need moonclips I'll be first in line otherwise I'm perfectly content with my convertible Vaquero. Although I'd still like to get a Flat Top BH convertible someday.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If it was DA and didn't need moonclips I'll be first in line otherwise I'm perfectly content with my convertible Vaquero. Although I'd still like to get a Flat Top BH convertible someday.
If it is a DA with a swing out cylinder not sure how you get around the rimless cartridge except as the 45Auto Rim.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I hate to point out the obvious but how do you expect to eject the spent brass?

Bob
Thumbnail
or a poker, dowel, plastic rod, brass rod, etc

Just like a speed six 9 mm if you chose not to use the clips
same as a 610 or older 625 in .45 acp

There are other revolvers that the manufacturer has solved that problem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The concept IMO on the surface seems like a good idea. I think given the problems some are having shows that it is done by compromising tolerances. I have 45 ACP revolvers but they are either convertible cylinders or factory 45ACP. These work good enough but I find in the convertible as time goes on the Colt cylinder rarely leaves the gun and the ACP stays in the box.

If I were to buy a 45 Redhawk it would be 45 Colt only but that's just me.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I have two Super Redhawks that have been moon clipped for 45acp.

I'm not shooting 100yrd groups with 45acp, but I get satisfactory 25yrd performance with 45acp. Accuracy is better with the 45 and 454, but I can cover my 25yrd groups with a dollar bill folded in half. I've had 1911's and Glock 21's less accurate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The new Redhawk 45 acp/colt has been discussed a few times already on the forum (and unfortunately some people seem to have bad experiences with it). I haven't seen one IRL yet, but that revolver that shoots both 45 ACP & colt is like Ruger made it just for me (I know they didn't because they would have made it in 6"). Anyone know of any other revolver combining those calibers without cylinder switch?

I would like to hear from the experienced wheel-gun people what they think about the concept of that revolver, i.e. the trick of having the rim of the 45 colt round only supported by the edge of the cylinder. E.g. what is the effect for reloading, does the case get deformed at the base by not being supported all around?
Are the moonclips for 45 ACP too thin to last long or ensure proper operation?

And finally, any personal experiences with accuracy (especially with 45 ACP), reviews tend to differ?
I'm certainly going to take a long hard look at one, mostly would shoot the long Colt. but the ability to shoot ACP is also nice. The only problem I see is gas cuts from the ACP in those long chambers! I had some problems similar to that years ago from shooting a lot of 38special in a .357. It got to the point that I could not chamber 357!!! I've got till Tax return time to make up my mind!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts