Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a redhawk 45 combo but havent closed the deal yet.Have been hearing horrer stories about this new pistol.Dont know if I should go thru with the deal or not.Deal is being conducted on line so I cant inspect it but it is new in the box.Has any on had any bad or good things to say about this gun before I pay for it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine was a nightmare. Currently awaiting a resolution on the second one I had to send back. Others have gotten great ones they really love. Luck of the draw? Hope you don't get one made on Friday afternoon?

If it was to work as advertised it's a great gun. To quote Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?"

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I bought the 45 Colt only version but it did have to go back to Ruger. It would occasionally lock up (about every 10-12 rounds). They paid shipping both ways and got it back to me in about a week. It's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm in the same position, the horror stories have me concerned enough that I'm holding off. My LGD has been a saint getting me prices for the combo and the straight 45 colt. I,d love to have a redhawk 45acp/45 colt as good as my blackhawk of the same combo.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Just a thought to the OP there are some nice Ruger Single action choices in the .45LC/.45acp combo in the Ruger Blackhawk Flattop series or just the Blackhawk convertible guns or the Ruger Vaquero BirdsHead series as well. I would be a bit leary after what I have read here on the Redhawk combo units. The Ruger BH Flattop series looks very nice to me. Like I said just a thought!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have the 45acp/45Colt version. I have not had a problem with it. After ready Smokey44 post about hanging up on 45 acp I got some myself and tried mine with the acp and had no issues what so ever. Fit and finish on mine is good. No Complaints and glad I bought it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm waiting on my Redhawk 45LC/45 ACP which has been on backorder for over 3 weeks.
There's always a chance that we can get a problem child.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I've had two here.
With numerous test loads in both calibers .45 Colt accuracy was fine.

ACP groups varied widely from 2-13 inches at 25 yards with the first.
The second one had tighter chambers & did slightly better with ACP, still the same loads varied widely.

Magnum-level .45s Colts are not comfortable with the rounded grip.

At the risk of being repetitive, there's a Kindle book on Amazon.com about both guns, if you want more info than there's room for here in making your decision.
Denis

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought the 45ACP/45 Colt Redhawk about a month ago. I shot 6 moon clips of 45ACP, with two of the moon clips after 1 or 2 shots the cylinder wouldn't advance. I opened the cylinder and pushed down on the moon clip, shut the cylinder and the rest of the cartridges fired just fine. The other 4 moon clips all worked ok with no problems.

I found TK Custom and they make moon clips for the Redhawk model 5032. They are supposed to be better metal than the Ruger moon clips. I measured the thickness of the Ruger moon clips and they varied from .030" to .0335". The TK moon clips measured .033 and they all measured the same. So I'm thinking the problem is with the moon clips. I have Wed. off this week and will hit the range and see how the TK moon clips work. I also sorted the Ruger moon clips and will try the .031" and .033" ones and see how they work. I'm also taking 3 different brands of ammo to see if there is an issue there. I'll report back after my trip to the range.

I bought the Redhawk because I wanted to experiment with Colt 260gr to 300gr heavy loads. It shoots 45 Colt just fine. I'm still glad that I bought the Redhawk!! I have a Blackhawk 45ACP/45 Colt convertible that shoots both calibers just fine.

Here's a picture of the moon clips. The Rugers are on the right and the TK are on the left.

http://rugerforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=21890&stc=1&d=1450675079

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
That was my experience with my 45 Colt version. The space between the rear of the cylinder and the frame was very tight which caused it to occasionally lockup. At first I thought it was because of high primers (I reload) but I checked all the ammo and the primers weren't the problem. Ruger opened up the gap a little bit and the gun has functioned fine since I got it back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had two here.
With numerous test loads in both calibers .45 Colt accuracy was fine.

ACP groups varied widely from 2-13 inches at 25 yards with the first.
The second one had tighter chambers & did slightly better with ACP, still the same loads varied widely.

Magnum-level .45s Colts are not comfortable with the rounded grip.

At the risk of being repetitive, there's a Kindle book on Amazon.com about both guns, if you want more info than there's room for here in making your decision.
Denis
Amazon.com: The Prisbrey Report Volume 2015-3: Ruger Convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP Redhawk eBook: Denis Prisbrey, CJ Prisbrey: Kindle Store

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I already have a ruger Blackhawk 45 combo and a 3 1/2 birds head in 45 combo. can see no reason to jump on the ruger Redhawks 45 combo till it's been out longer to hear a lot more reports on it. I cancelled my purchase.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think the gun has merit, it's just that the chamber "freebore" & throats can be an issue with some ACP loads.
You need to find loads that work well, & those are fine.

I returned the first sample to Ruger, the second is now at Cylinder & Slide waiting for them to do some magic on it.
I wouldn't have kept it or gone to the effort of customizing it if I thought the package was unworkable. :)
Denis

·
Registered
190 Posts
D Pris, read your book on this Weapon. It gave me some insight on it. The advantages vs disadvanges. For me the regular redhawk 45 colt is be starting to look more appealing. Good write up on this weapon. Thanks

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Thanks Chief.
Hope it helped understand the gun.

I think it's a neat idea from Ruger, the book was an attempt to help people make an informed decision.
Denis

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought the 45ACP/45 Colt Redhawk about a month ago. I shot 6 moon clips of 45ACP, with two of the moon clips after 1 or 2 shots the cylinder wouldn't advance. I opened the cylinder and pushed down on the moon clip, shut the cylinder and the rest of the cartridges fired just fine. The other 4 moon clips all worked ok with no problems.

I found TK Custom and they make moon clips for the Redhawk model 5032. They are supposed to be better metal than the Ruger moon clips. I measured the thickness of the Ruger moon clips and they varied from .030" to .0335". The TK moon clips measured .033 and they all measured the same. So I'm thinking the problem is with the moon clips. I have Wed. off this week and will hit the range and see how the TK moon clips work. I also sorted the Ruger moon clips and will try the .031" and .033" ones and see how they work. I'm also taking 3 different brands of ammo to see if there is an issue there. I'll report back after my trip to the range.

I bought the Redhawk because I wanted to experiment with Colt 260gr to 300gr heavy loads. It shoots 45 Colt just fine. I'm still glad that I bought the Redhawk!! I have a Blackhawk 45ACP/45 Colt convertible that shoots both calibers just fine.

Here's a picture of the moon clips. The Rugers are on the right and the TK are on the left.

Ruger Forum | Ruger Forum for Ruger Guns Firearms Classifieds
Attached Thumbnails
redhawk 45 combo-runger-redhawk-moon-clips.jpg
I got to the range this afternoon and tried the Ruger and TK Custom moon clips with 3 different brands of ammo. I used American Eagle, Winchester White Box, and bulk reloads from Surplus Arms and Ammo in Tacoma WA. All were factory loads of 230gr FMJ. I had miked the moon clips and found that the TK clips were .033" with no variations. The Ruger clips measured .030" to .0335". So I chose the Ruger clips that were .033" so they would match the TK clips of the same thickness. I used 4 of each brand of moon clips chosen at random. Stoppages were when I had to open the cylinder and push down on the moon clip and shut the cylinder to get the gun to fire again. There were a few times when I had to use extra force on the hammer to get the cylinder to turn but didn't have to open the cylinder and close it again to get the gun to fire. I only had that issue 4 times with the TK clips and well over a dozen times with the Ruger clips.

I shot each of the 4 moon clips with each of the three brands of ammo. So I did 24 shots of each ammo and for each set of four moon clips. Not a terrific amount but enough to get some idea for what was going on. You'll see in the attached photo of the chart that the Ruger clips did much worse than the TK clips with all 3 brand of ammo. So I can't say that the whole stoppage problem is with the moon clips. But as you can see in the table it has a large impact on the stoppage problem with 45ACPs. The TK clips took more pressure to load the round than the Ruger clips. I'd say the TK clips hold the ammo more tightly than the Ruger moon clips.

On a side note I got the POA/POI figured out today. I had to hold about 8" below the bullseye on a 6" Shoot N C target to hit the bullseye. The Redhawk is very accurate if I do my part! I also found that a high grip gave me the most control and better groups with the 45ACPs.

http://rugerforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=21920&stc=1&d=1450932665

Attachments

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
You know from what I am reading just here in this thread to me the Ruger Redhawk convertible .45LC/.45acp is a drop dead gorgeous gun I really like the looks of the curved grip etc. My use would be just to shoot .45acp the why's are because its much cheaper ammo to shoot and the .45acp has all the power I need. But my thoughts now go back to two or three Rugers the regular BH .45LC/..45acp the Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top .45LC/.45acp and then the Ruger Vaquero BirdsHead in just .45acp. I would like to see the Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top Model to me this is a neat gun for my thoughts of liking the smaller frame because of just shooting .45acp. I wished that Ruger would make the Blackhawk Flat Top model in just .45acp! Now when I see the Ruger Vaquero BirdsHead .45acp only Model well this little gem just bite's me and say's take me!!! I wonder though if the BirdsHead grips work well with recoil in mind?? I think the SA Rugers work better because of the very fact that these guns do not need the Moon Clips. I have been wanting a larger caliber revolver and the low felt recoil of the .45 acp and ammo costs is the reason I would prefer this caliber. My feelings are that these Ruger convertibles are very hard to find and when you do they hold their value very well!!! So now who else besides Ruger & Smith & Wesson makes a good revolver chambered in .45 acp?? I haven't noticed other then Taurus has made some revolvers in 9mm & .45acp but I don't know if they currently do now or not??? But if they do are the barrels at least 3.75 inch's or longer?? I priced the Ruger Vaquero BirdsHead .45 acp's last week two side by side one blued and the other stainless both priced the very same @ $609.99 so gulp very expensive but why isn't the blued BirdsHead not priced less?? Out of the two I would get the Stainless Steel one!! But this has been a very interesting thread, I feel both the Redhawk & the Ruger BH FT & the Ruger BH regular model and the BirdsHead are all very very nice revolvers and there are going to be some problem guns but also some guns that will function perfectly plus Ruger has a great reputation with their customer service. I think the OP has gotten some very good advice here I wouldn't be afraid to get either the SA or the DA model both very nice guns!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts