Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was surfing the net and looking at different articles and forum posts. I ran into a site that said you could push the Redhawk to 50,000 PSI. Some guy named Brian Pearce claimed you could push loads up to 50,000 PSI. I really scratched my head on that one. I have done a search here on this site but found nothing relating to it. Has anyone heard of Redhawks being engineered that tough?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Some guy named Brian Pierce has written a million articles in Handloader on loading handguns. There is an article about +P 44 mag ammo. I don’t remember the issue but it’s available through Wolf publishing

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Reactions: Phish

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
There is no point jacking up a 44mag while you got many big bores that beats a 44mag easily in power but only if you need it. I like staying with safe and sound loading data or just buy a big bote and be done.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I bet they could handle it, fir a while. But why would you? Or you could load to the old standards. If you need more power get a bigger gun. ie Casull 454, S&W 460, S&W 500.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Proof loads are doubled if I'm not mistaken. That's a lot more than 50k from a 454. The 44 magnum can handle +p+ loads in a redhawk for the simple reason that a .429 has a lot more metal than a .452. You can get a 454 cylinder put in a 45 redhawk and it shoots just fine. The super redhawk cylinders are much tougher metal than the standard redhawks so, it's the cylinder you need to worry about, not the frame.

The REAL benefit of magnum rounds is sending heavier bullets faster, not lighter bullets. A 45+p with a 300+ grain bullet will go nose to tail through anything but the largest african game. Why do you need that same bullet to go faster?

·
Registered
535 Posts
My neighbor shoots the 460... says his wrist hurt for three days after that.
None for me thank... not my idea of a good time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
High pressure loads in the .44Mag have existed ever since Freedom Arms chambered the round in their model 83. Yes, the Redhawk and Super Redhawk can run all day long at 50,000psi. The Buffalo Bore 340gr load is 50,000psi. And no, while it may be a foreign concept to some, it's not a big deal. Sure, I reckon you could buy a .454 or .460 instead but why? If the .44Mag at 50,000psi does what you need it to, what's the point in buying another gun? For one thing, a .460 is going to be 2lbs heavier. I've shot a good bit of the Buffalo Bore load, along with their dangerous game load, handloads using the Lehigh WFN they use in it, the Grizzly Punch and Barnes Busters. All those monolithic solids benefit from more velocity and the longer cylinder of these guns allows for greater powder capacity. Might be desirable when you're hunting something bigger than deer. I've also used that cylinder capacity to push the Beartooth 405gr to 1160fps, the 355gr to 1350fps and the 330gr to 1450fps.

They shoot pretty good too!

And penetrate like a freight train.

Those loads are basically the reason why I had this Bisley Super Blackhawk rebuilt with an oversized six shot cylinder.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Proof loads are doubled if I'm not mistaken. That's a lot more than 50k from a 454. The 44 magnum can handle +p+ loads in a redhawk for the simple reason that a .429 has a lot more metal than a .452. You can get a 454 cylinder put in a 45 redhawk and it shoots just fine. The super redhawk cylinders are much tougher metal than the standard redhawks so, it's the cylinder you need to worry about, not the frame.
SAAMI Proof Load pressures vary according to the standard pressure set for the cartridge. For cartridges of 21,000 psi or greater the Proof Load is Minimum 130%, Maximum 140%. Therefore the 44 Magnum Maximum Proof Load is 51,500psi. In comparison, the 454 Casull Maximum Proof Load is 93,500 psi. One could reason that IF the Redhawk 44 Mag is built on the same frame, with the same cylinder as the 454 Casull you should be able to safely shoot 63,000 psi loads out of it. But I doubt that Ruger proofs 44 Mag Redhawks at 454 pressures, and I doubt that they blow up guns to see what they'll take (nor would they ever publish that data if they did), so anybody who might try this is far into uncharted territory.

·
Registered
284 Posts
...I doubt that they blow up guns to see what they'll take (nor would they ever publish that data if they did), so anybody who might try this is far into uncharted territory.
Do you really think Buffalo Bore would produce ammo that is a danger to the guns? This path is well beaten, even if folks haven't heard of it before now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Proof loads are doubled if I'm not mistaken.

You are, indeed, mistaken.

The minimum and maximum average Definitive Proof Pressures are computed as follows:•The Minimum Average Definitive Proof Pressure is calculated by multiplying the Maximum Probable Lot Mean (MPLM) service pressure by the appropriate proof multiplier listed in Table 1 (SAMMI Velocity and pressure data - https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...FP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf ) and rounding UP to the nearest multiple of 500 psi.•

The Maximum Average Definitive Proof Pressure is calculated by multiplying the Maximum Probable Lot Mean (MPLM) service pressure by the appropriate proof multiplier listed in Table 1 and rounding DOWN to the nearest multiple of 500 psi.•

The Maximum Proof Extreme Variation (EV) is calculated by multiplying the Proof Standard Deviation (which in the case of Centerfire Pistol & Revolver is equal to the Service Standard Deviation) by the constant 5.16(5)) and rounding UP to the next 100 psi.•

The Minimum Proof Individual (MPI) pressure is positioned three standard deviations (proof) below the Minimum Average Definitive Proof Pressure, with the calculated value being rounded DOWN to the next multiple of 100 psi.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Guys +P and +p+ is way over used. There are few established +p loads and none exist for the 44 Magnum.

Reactions: crstrode
1 - 20 of 50 Posts