Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the accuracy of the 4.2 inch redhawk, in 45 colt on par with the 44 in the same barrel length? I will be using reloads most of the time. Thanks

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Accuracy and trajectory are not the same thing. A misjudgement of range by the shooter and an incorrect hold over isn't the revolvers fault - AND - if you fire a group of each, the groups will be about the same size with either cartridge, just one will fall lower than the other.

I don't necessarily buy that the trajectory difference in a 1000fps, 250grn 45colt load and a 240grn 1400fps 44mag load is SIGNIFICANTLY different in the hunting field anyway. Both are manageable. From a 50yrd zero, I get 4" of drop at 100yrds with 44mag, 8" with "tier 2" 45colt. Both are manageable. Even out at 200yrds, the 45colt is only dropping 4" per 5yrds, while the 44mag is dropping 3" per 5yrds - both of those make long range shots a challenge, but neither is really easier than the other. 200yrds means 15MOA hold in one, 27MOA in the other. Both are difficult to manage, which is what disqualifies both for 200yrd game hunting for most shooters.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A bullet traveling 960 fps is effected more by the elements, wind etc. than a bullet traveling at 1560 fps. And while it is true that accuracy and trajectory are not the same thing a bullet traveling in a more exaggerated arch (more drop-greater hold over) will normally be off by more than one moving faster with less arch. Increased trajectory means increased error. If your aim is off .030 inch with the .44 magnum your rate of error will be less than if your aim is off .030 with a .45 LC. Even if we put both guns in a vice. The .45 will have a greater error rate because of external forces. The .45 will be in the air 50% longer and therefore more effected by wind, air density etc. than the .44 magnum. Or at least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
CaliforniaKid
Lets see 45 LC 240 gr 1482 fps, 44 Mag 240gr 1582 fps not going to be much difference in drop out to 100 yards. Now both are max loads for each so they might not be the most accurate for either. When comparing apple to apples there is not much difference. The ice breaker would be the shooter. Unless you clamp them into a shooter vise and pull the trigger I'd bet you see zero difference

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
A bullet traveling 960 fps is effected more by the elements, wind etc. than a bullet traveling at 1560 fps. And while it is true that accuracy and trajectory are not the same thing a bullet traveling in a more exaggerated arch (more drop-greater hold over) will normally be off by more than one moving faster with less arch. Increased trajectory means increased error. If your aim is off .030 inch with the .44 magnum your rate of error will be less than if your aim is off .030 with a .45 LC. Even if we put both guns in a vice. The .45 will have a greater error rate because of external forces. The .45 will be in the air 50% longer and therefore more effected by wind, air density etc. than the .44 magnum. Or at least that has been my experience.
I regularly shoot revolvers over 250yrds. Most revolver owners don't, so all of that sounds really important, but for those "most revolver owners," it's not...

What you're talking about does not apply for 99% of revolver shooters that never stretch past 50yrds, or even 100. From a 50yrd zero, the difference in drop at 100yrds isn't significant (8" vs. 4"), such that the slower 45's "more exaggerated arch" ever matters. From a 100yrd zero, the difference in drop at 150yrds isn't significant either (14" vs 8"). Same deal with windage - but with a twist...

Run wind drift for a 240grn 1500fps 44mag cartridge against a 250grn 45colt 1000fps through Handloads.com/calc or Hornady.com's ballistic calculator... You'll be VERY surprised by the outcome. (Spoiler alert: The mag drifts more on paper. In real life, the difference is negligible).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Varminterror

Why do you all use the 45LC 250gr in comparison to the 240gr 44Mag? When you have the 240 gr 45 LC loading? Apples to apples people! Then you see there is not much difference.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Varminterror

Why do you all use the 45LC 250gr in comparison to the 240gr 44Mag? When you have the 240 gr 45 LC loading? Apples to apples people! Then you see there is not much difference.
My experience has not shown a significant difference between 240 and 250grn loads. Not in the least.

Talking about 850-900fps Tier 1 loads vs. 1250fps Tier 3 loads in 45colt make the comparison more interesting, but that wasn't the challenge that was posed - it was incorrectly stated that a 44mag will be more accurate because of its higher velocity than standard 45colt.

10grains of bullet doesn't matter. 300fps doesn't really matter. Both will shoot just as accurately for 99% of handgunners.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
When I read the OP's post, I don't get the sense he is talking about shooting 200 yards or even 100 yards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can we limit this discussion to the 4.2" Redhawk in 45 colt as the OP asked? I don't have a 44 mag and don't care how well one shoots. I do however have a 45 Colt Redhawk and have never been pleased with the accuracy so I too would love to hear from those WITH THIS SPECIFIC GUN that have found loads that work. I have tried lead and Hornady xtp 250's. I have tried Trailboss, Universal, WSF, No. 9, and Win231. At 50 feet I get generic patterns rather than groupings. I have tried loading around 850 fps and around 1200 fps. Best i could get off a sandbag was about a 3" pattern. Would like to get at least a 2" group or better at 50'. Thanks for any help. I load for several handguns and this is the only one I have any trouble with. BTW, I did have the cylinders reamed to .4525 and the forcing cone cut to 11 degrees.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bw45, this is the kind of information I was looking for, I had heard that the 45 colt redhawk had similar accuracy problems as some other 45 colt revolvers. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
The 4.2" Redhawk in .45 Colt is certainly capable of the same accuracy as the same model in .44 Rem. Mag. IF the chamber and throat dimensions are done right. Although I have heard and read that Ruger has done the .45 Colt cylinders right in the last couple of years, this used to be one of the calibers that needed help in this area at times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts