Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a .44mag for some time now. I currently have two .44spl flat tops and would like to be able to shoot .44spl and .44mag out of a DA revolver. I am thinking about purchasing a Redhawk in 5.5" barrel. How is the Redhawk to shoot? How is the trigger with the "single spring"? How does it handle the .44mag? Any feed back would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The Redhawk 5.5 is a great 44 for hunting and Hiking. I believe the Single spring of the Redhawk to be an advantage. Of my 6 Ruger DAs my Redhawk has the smoothest and lightest DA pull. Not the best SA pull, but not bad.

The Redhawk is not light, but the few extra ounces help absorb full powered magnum loads. Along with the SRH the RH is a definite qualifier for the numerous "Ruger only" loads on the market. I don't think you will be disappointed, it's one tough son-of-a-gun.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I have a Redhawk with the 7.5 inch barrel in stainless and it is my only revolver so my opinion may be a little skewed. My single action is incredible. I dont know how many pounds of pull it is for sure but it is very very close to what my MKII target is from the factory. The double action just plain scares me. I swear it is even less than the single action. It is the way everyone says it should be, it will surprise you. I love it just the way it is and have no plans to ever do anything about the trigger pull on it. I did go with the Weigand "weave-a-tinny" adapter on mine (it wasnt a hunter) to get a red dot on it. My eyes just dont cut it for open sights anymore. With a Bushnell TRS-25 on it I can take the red center out of the Birchwood Casey Dirty Bird targets at 20 yard all day long.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've owned a S&W 629 (sold it, didn't like it), and currently own a Super Blackhawk, a Redhawk, and a Super Redhawk. The SBH has the 5 1/2" barrel, and both double actions have 7 1/2" barrels.

My Super Redhawk is chambered in .454 Casull, but I also shoot higher pressure .45 colt loads in it regularly, so I have a very good idea of what firing .44 mag loads would be like with it.

I prefer the Redhawk to the SRH for .44 mag use, because it is all the revolver you need for that caliber, and then some. Much stronger than the S&W, and a lot lighter and less bulky than the SRH. My Redhawk has digested a couple thousand .44 mag and .44 special cartridges. It still locks up tightly, and is more accurate now than when new.

The SRH mass is needed for .454 and .480 chamberings, however. Which is probably why Ruger created it.

Go with the Redhawk, you'll not regret it.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,590 Posts
My .44 magnums:
S&W 29-2 8 3/8"
Colt Anaconda 8"
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2"
Ruger Super Blackhawk 10 1/2"
Ruger Super Blackhawk 6 1/2"

The Redhawk is my woods carry gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ruger made a rear shallow V blade with gold dot front that I bought years ago
its fast to align on deer,I also shot ihmsa big bore for years with it. nothing funner than tippin rams iver @200 meters with iron sights

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've owned the 4" S&W M-29 and M-57 as well as the 7.5" Redhawk which I ran with a 2.5X scope. The S&W N Frame's had much better trigger pull's and balance, mostly due to the 4" barrels. However the Redhawk was the better long range shooter, I used sandbag rest's and fired from a seated position from a bench. As much as I liked all of them I prefer a SA Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk with the .44 Magnum and 45 Colt.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Shooting the Redhawk 5.5" 44 mag? Generally a superior revolver that shoots well. There are a couple of idiosyncratic things, though. First, the single spring design is unique. It works quite well. Many Redhawkers choose to replace the spring with one slightly lighter, eg.: 13# or 14# Wolff spring (gunsprings.com). The part the spring goes on could be smoothed out a bit too. But, it is a classic now. Secondly, the hardwood grips can be real knuckle crackers for some guys. The Pachmayer Presentation grip seems to help with that. Little things like this can be done with most good revolvers to make them more of a good fit with one shooter or another.
Accuracy is good. It can be excellent when a good ammo match is found.
Overall quality is an excellent value. Strength is uncontested. Reliability is a standard. Appearance is great, in my opinion much better than the Super Redhawk.
Lots of options for accessories, holsters and sights etc.
Gets better with time.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't own or have ever shot the 5.5 Redhawk. I have the 7 1/2, 4.2, and Alaskan. Recoile can be stout but all 3 handle it without a problem. My only real complaint is with the older Redhawk design and the grips are just a little small for my medium size hand. They all are fun to shoot and although I prefer the 41 the 44 Reds are good shooters. The guns are built to shot forever.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the exact gun you are looking for, and I love it! I ended up putting some Altamont grips on it that fit my hand the best.

It came with the big, ugly Hogue's that don't fit my hand well.

I also bought some of the Hogue Bantam grips and they fit nice, but I haven't shot with them yet. My trigger is fine, I will someday put in just a tad lighter spring, but it isn't needed. It isn't as light and smooth as my GP100 with just springs, but not bad at all.
As far as handling the .44, it is easy! I shoot only my loads through it and it will handle lighter through near max without a whimper. I could shoot this gun all day easy.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
This thread is full of some pretty guns!

Cmann, I have a 7.5 blued redhawk made in '85. That thing is built like a tank. Perfect balance for a .44 mag. It's big, and heavy, but it shoots a .44 mag, you don't want a featherweight gun for that. One thing about these guns, if you buy it and don't like it, you won't have any problem selling it. I say go for it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have 5 ½” Redhawks in .44 and .45. I like both of them. 30 yrs. ago I used my .44 Redhawk to teach myself gunsmithing. I eventually got the trigger I wanted without ruining the hammer. The single spring action tends to provide a very nice double action trigger with little to no ‘smithing required, but getting a good single action trigger, while maintaining reliable ignition, takes a little more work. In addition, in the past the forged barrels, like the Redhawk’s, tended to be a little rougher and require more than a bit of break-in. They shot pretty well, but tended to metal foul. After break-in, they shot significantly better and metal fouled much less. Ruger produces better barrels now. This may no longer be an issue. This isn’t unique to Ruger. IME S&W stainless barrels aren’t as smooth as I want and also require break-in. The blued barrels from both tend to be significantly smoother because of the machining characteristics of the steels.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I have 2 Redhawks; one in .44 with a 7.5 barrel and the factory high-gloss stainless finish:cool:, and the other is a 4" barrel .45 Colt. I cannot recommend the RH highly enough. The DA pulls on mine have both really smoothed up over time, and they're a thrill to shoot. It's hard to beat a good .44 for utility purposes; with the more powerful loads, pretty much any game you care to hunt is in serious trouble, and with the capability of taking .44 Special ammo, it's a great HD weapon. The RH is also the gun I'd use if I were into handloading...these guns are almost indestructible. Save yourself some $ and try to find a used one, though..the prices for new ones have steadily risen over the years [like everything else].

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.