Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Redhawk Hunter (.44 mag, 7.5 inch, stainless) for over 20 years. Bought it new.

Now, as an old geezer, I've decided to finally put those rings to use and add a scope.

What advice will all of you experts offer? Any sage advice?

None of my Blackhawks have ever had anything other than iron sights.

FYI - I do have a first-place unlimited category IHMSA trophy that I won long long ago and far far away shooting a 30-30 Super 16 Contender with iron sights - so the very idea of putting a scope on a handgun still feels a little gay :)

I'm gonna do it anyway.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Welcome to the old eyes club! :)

For a first scope, I'd go a 2x and a 2x is about right for the ranges you'll typically shoot a Redhawk, anyway. If you have the cash, a 2-6x or other variable is another option, but for offhand and field shooting, you'll find 2x to be enough.

It does take time and practice shooting with a scope and the magnification it adds. 2x may not sound like much, but when your every shake and wobble is doubled by using a 2x scope, you'll understand.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a fixed 2x Leupold or Burris. Have both on some of my guns, big and small and never a single issue, not even with my big Contenders.

Another option I'd also explore is a good red dot. No magnification, so no steadiness issues and no fussing around with eye relief, which can be a hassle with handgun scopes. MUCH easier to use than iron for our old eyes, too. As long as you get a good one, no problem on a 44 mag. I use an Ultradot red dot on my GP and have used them on a Super Redhawk, too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Buy the best glass you can afford;) If this is for hunting, I would stay away from lighted reticles, it will distract your vision in low light shots, early morning and late evening.

I would go with pretty much any handgun scope from Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, Burris... ect. Not necessarily in that order. and a good set of rings:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy the best glass you can afford;) If this is for hunting, I would stay away from lighted reticles, it will distract your vision in low light shots, early morning and late evening.

I would go with pretty much any handgun scope from Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, Burris... ect. Not necessarily in that order. and a good set of rings:)
That brings up another point - the rings. I'm going out on a limb and thinking the original factory rings from Ruger are good ones.

The rings that came with the Redhawk are still sitting in the box (I hope. Where did I put that darned box anyway?)

·
Registered
109 Posts
crstrode.... Congratulations on your win with the T/C Contender Super 14 .30-30 (you wrote "Super 16," but I think you meant 14").

Don't know what you want the scoped for, but I can name two with repeatable adjustments: 1) Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x; 2) Leupold 2.5-8x with special order target turrets and dot reticle.

I have yet to hammer the Nikon 2.5-8x on a magnum revolver, but it might pass muster.

Have also had excellent results with the fixed power Leupold 2x and 4x, and Nikon 2x.

Ruger rings are plenty strong. However, they aren't always bored straight, and crooked ones can cramp the scope tube.

You will immediately notice a reduction in recoil from the added weight of the scope. Don't worry, you won't grow lace on your pants when you scope your Redhawk; you'll just find it easier to hit the target and to test loads.
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those Ruger rings work just fine on my super blackhawk hunter and my super redhawk 454. both guns wear Leupold 2x scopes and they are perfect for anything I need to do. I also have a leupold 2x on my 500 xframe and love it. Another good scope is the Bushnell elete 3200 variable. I have it on an encore in 460, but almost never use it above 2-4x because of the shakey sight picture. Its a whole new ball game for old eyes. I'm 68 and have a time with open sights although I much prefer the looks of a gun with open sights.

·
Banned
402 Posts
It would be helpful if you talked about your needs, what are you asking the handgun to do for you. Also how is it falling short now ? Scoped handguns are a whole different ball game,
They are very helpful to some and a hindrance to others, what they are not is a cure all.
Do you shake a little ? or is it just a focus problem ?
Target shooing or hunting ?-both ? distance and the size of the game or targets.
How well did you shoot your handguns before you noticed a drop off.
Some people go right to a scope for the coolness and find it impossible to hold on a target, and naturally some do not. Have you tried someone else' s pistol with a scope ? I have a black hawk hunter with fiber optic sites that has helped greatly with target acquisition, I find them to be a great improvement over plain Irons.
Mine were installed by Ruger and I believe they are Williams. ( don't over look them )
Next is a red dot, ultra dot being a well made unit. Some have variable dot size so you can choose the size you are comfortable with, 2 moa, 3 moa, 4,6,10moa.
Not to insult you about MOA, but just for the basic knowledge,
1 moa covers 1 inch at 100 yards, 3" moa covers 3" at 100 yards.
Keep in mind MOA is Linear ( I think that's correct ) So the 2 MOA that covers 2" at 100 yards covers 1" at 50 and smaller at 25 yards.
IMHO I don't recommend a holographic heads up display, I would stay with a tube and think about the 30MM for a little more area to look through and faster pick up.
Ruger will most times exchange 1" rings for 30MM rings ( just a thought )
I am in no way saying a conventional scope is not a good choice,
Many folks use them, some think they are happy with them, some know they are, and some don't know the difference.
If you do go with conventional I would not over scope ( power of the scope. )
Ask more questions, fill in some blanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be helpful if you talked about your needs, what are you asking the handgun to do for you. Also how is it falling short now ? Scoped handguns are a whole different ball game,
They are very helpful to some and a hindrance to others, what they are not is a cure all.
Do you shake a little ? or is it just a focus problem ?
Target shooing or hunting ?-both ? distance and the size of the game or targets.
How well did you shoot your handguns before you noticed a drop off.
Some people go right to a scope for the coolness and find it impossible to hold on a target, and naturally some do not. Have you tried someone else' s pistol with a scope ? I have a black hawk hunter with fiber optic sites that has helped greatly with target acquisition, I find them to be a great improvement over plain Irons.
Mine were installed by Ruger and I believe they are Williams. ( don't over look them )
Next is a red dot, ultra dot being a well made unit. Some have variable dot size so you can choose the size you are comfortable with, 2 moa, 3 moa, 4,6,10moa.
Not to insult you about MOA, but just for the basic knowledge,
1 moa covers 1 inch at 100 yards, 3" moa covers 3" at 100 yards.
Keep in mind MOA is Linear ( I think that's correct ) So the 2 MOA that covers 2" at 100 yards covers 1" at 50 and smaller at 25 yards.
IMHO I don't recommend a holographic heads up display, I would stay with a tube and think about the 30MM for a little more area to look through and faster pick up.
Ruger will most times exchange 1" rings for 30MM rings ( just a thought )
I am in no way saying a conventional scope is not a good choice,
Many folks use them, some think they are happy with them, some know they are, and some don't know the difference.
If you do go with conventional I would not over scope ( power of the scope. )
Ask more questions, fill in some blanks.
Well, frankly, I was hoping that the addition of a scope will just get me to shooting the .44 mag Redhawk a bit more. I am basically a plinker, not a hunter and no longer a competition shooter. I do have a .223 Contender with a 2x scope. I scoped that one after a friend of mine introduced me to scoped Contenders. It is a blast - and my wife thinks so also. Another gun this fellow had was a S&W 22lr auto with a red dot sight. My wife really thought that was Da Bomb! I must admit it was sorta fun.

As far as shakiness and poor vision - I'm not shaky, but I've been wearing glasses since I was a kid. My eyes really suck - especially since I underwent radial keratotomy about 25 years ago to correct near-sightedness. Now even with correction I can't see worth beans. In my backyard range I can still make a beer can dance fairly well. Even if I can't make out their beady little eyes, the rock chucks don't stand a chance - especially with a Ruger mark 1 22lr. However, lately, I've been plugging the little ba***rds with a .45LC.

As far as scopes for the Redhawk - I'm looking for suggestions as to manufacturers, and some opinions on the pros and cons between regular scopes and red dot sights. Both are still options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts