Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New user from AZ!

I have a couple of Ruger Redhawks in 357. One of them has as Pachmayr or Hogue grips on it. Functional? Yea, but really unattractive.

I'm looking for some nice wood grips. Where would you recommend I start looking? Do I need to look for any Redhawk grips or is there a specific version for the 357?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Depends upon what type you are looking for: aftermarket or factory type. Aftermarket grips are available from:

Eagle
Herrett's
Hogue
Badger
Thai manufacturers( On Ebay)

Altamont offers grips of a similar shape to factory original. I imagine one could look for used grips on various auction sites such as Gun Broker and Ebay, also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends upon what type you are looking for: aftermarket or factory type. Aftermarket grips are available from:

Eagle
Herrett's
Hogue
Badger
Thai manufacturers( On Ebay)

Altamont offers grips of a similar shape to factory original. I imagine one could look for used grips on various auction sites such as Gun Broker and Ebay, also.
One of my guns is factory. I'll keep it that way. The other is not and has the Hogues.

Is there a difference in the RedHawk grips? 357 vs 44?

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Try grips4guns.com.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
One of my guns is factory. I'll keep it that way. The other is not and has the Hogues.

Is there a difference in the RedHawk grips? 357 vs 44?
Generally speaking the factory grip panels are the same. The 4.2" 44 Mag or 45 Colt has a Hogue Bantam grip as factory original and the new Kodiak Backpacker is different but for your purposes the wood grip panels are the same regardless of caliber.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you are looking for original Redhawk wood grips check ebay. I recently bought a beautiful set, including screw, that appear to have never been installed. Price was $16 shipped, there were no other bidders since they were listed under Speed Six grips. Many items are incorrectly listed on ebay.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a 7.5" .357 Redhawk, and found the gun to be very "front heavy" .........the wood panels caused hand fatigue just from holding up the weight of that huge piece of steel, so I just went with a set of older Pachmayr Presentations.

The gun is a "beater", I bought it used for $600 , had lots of field rash and scratches, so I really don't care what kind of grips it has.

If I were to put nice woods on it, I'd look at a set of Badger grips........Jim Badger is a good guy, he's a Vietnam vet and his stuff is good.

If I wanted a nice "panel" grip I'd use Altamont or just find factory grips.

Like was said, FleaBay has some good deals, I've found Redhawk panel grips for $10-20 because most people who don't care about collecting for "looks" buy a used Redhawk at a gun show and put Pachmayrs on it, and hock the wood grips on EBay.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
There are more than 5 sets on ebay right now. the one set listed to end the earliest is only 12.95 at this time. these are all factory grips. Just type in Ruger Redhawk Grips. Make sure they are Redhawk and not Super Redhawk when buying.
I have stag grips on my Redhawk, with my smaller hands the factory and my stag grips are really comfortable to shoot.
Good luck on the hunt.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have two .41 mag Redhawk's and have tried the Pachmayr but wasn't to impressed they seemed to narrow for me. Went back to the original wood and have bought spares on eBay many times.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
My ultimate goal is to have Bowen do the "Alpine" to my .357 Redhawk.........

Since it is beat up looking, I don't think I'd be committing a crime by doing this, plus it's Bowen, the work of a master is an "enhancement" IMO:)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts