Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The primers are more likely to ignite in the Blackhawk because being a single action it has probably a greater hammer arc allowing the hammer to build up more momentum. The Redhawk, especially in double action, has less of a hammer arc. When I had the Redhawk with the 12 lb mainspring my WW primer ignition was maybe 50% or so in double action and probably 80-85% in single action. Bear in mind it also had the Bowen extended firing pin in the gun so I would expect a higher failure rate with a stock firing pin. With the 14 lb mainspring in and the Bowen extended firing pin the DA ignition of WW was 100%. Double action measured around 10.5 lbs which is about what Bowen and Magnaport quoted on the their double action tunes.

A couple of other things related to firing pin protrusion. Iowegan mentioned in a post that one might want to square up the corners of the window in the frame where the hammer resides near the recoil shield to allow the hammer the ability to move all the way forward. Elsewhere on the "I'net someone came up with another idea to gain firing pin protrusion:

Whether the latter is recommended I will leave to others to decide.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
303 - did i miss it, or did you replace the new spring with the original, stock spring and check for misfires?
Yes, I put the factory spring back in, and it still misfired in DA.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, it tried removing some of the step two different times, and no change. I called Ruger, and they’re having UPS pick it up in the next couple days. Maybe they can figure it out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did it fire the Win. Primers before your gun smithing? If so, sounds like something isn't quite right in the assembly. If it didn't, for some reason the hammer isn't hitting hard enough. Work back from there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Did it fire the Win. Primers before your gun smithing? If so, sounds like something isn't quite right in the assembly. If it didn't, for some reason the hammer isn't hitting hard enough. Work back from there.
It would only fire the Winchester primers about 75% in single action, and not at all in double action. Got lucky and found three boxes of Federal ammo that functioned 100%. If I can’t trust the revolver 100% it will leave.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It would only fire the Winchester primers about 75% in single action, and not at all in double action. Got lucky and found three boxes of Federal ammo that functioned 100%. If I can’t trust the revolver 100% it will leave.
The hammer modifications shown in this tread should do the trick, along with lightening up on the spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently took my 45 Redhawk down, did a light polish on trigger surfaces, and installed a 14 pound mainspring. Afterward, it wouldn’t ignite Winchester primers, but did ignite Federal primers every time. So, I re-installed the factory spring, and it still won’t fire Winchester primers.

This is my first Redhawk, and I’ve never worked with the single spring action before. Is it possible I got something out of whack on assembly? I’d really appreciate some help.
If you don't get any results I would highly recommend sending the gun back to Ruger, I had a problem like that and ending out sending the back to Ruger, they fixed it, don't know what they did but it worked

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you don't get any results I would highly recommend sending the gun back to Ruger, I had a problem like that and ending out sending the back to Ruger, they fixed it, don't know what they did but it worked
It’s going back to Ruger, hopefully today.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Recently took my 45 Redhawk down, did a light polish on trigger surfaces, and installed a 14 pound mainspring. Afterward, it wouldn’t ignite Winchester primers, but did ignite Federal primers every time. So, I re-installed the factory spring, and it still won’t fire Winchester primers.

This is my first Redhawk, and I’ve never worked with the single spring action before. Is it possible I got something out of whack on assembly? I’d really appreciate some help.
Easy, don’t shoot Winchester in it, but seriously your spring must ptob got weakened, order a new one

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ruger sent me a shipping notice today, and said it’ll be here Monday. Didn’t give any details on what they did, so we’ll see soon.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got it back today, and Ruger replaced the hammer and pawl. It’s 75% with Winchester primers double action, and 100% single action. Federal primers are 100% either way. Problem is I have a bunch of Winchester primers....

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I would either have a gunsmith or do it myself and measue firing pin protrusion, headspace and endshake. These can cause FTFs especially if they aggregate to not being ideal. When I had my Redhawk the headspace was .063", the firing pin protrusion .055" and endshake .004". Minimum headspace should be at least .060".

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would either have a gunsmith or do it myself and measue firing pin protrusion, headspace and endshake. These can cause FTFs especially if they aggregate to not being ideal. When I had my Redhawk the headspace was .063", the firing pin protrusion .055" and endshake .004". Minimum headspace should be at least .060".
Weird thing is, I recently acquired an unfired Taurus Tracker in 45 Colt, and it doesn’t like the Winchester primers either. Does fine single action, but not in double action.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
That is interesting. I wonder if something has occured to the WW primers you have. Are they old (which should not cause them to not work per se)? It would be interesting to try some other WW primers to see if they work or Remington primers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That is interesting. I wonder if something has occured to the WW primers you have. Are they old (which should not cause them to not work per se)? It would be interesting to try some other WW primers to see if they work or Remington primers.
I’d like to try other brands of primers, but can’t find any right now. I bought a bunch of Winchester primers about a year ago, and only used them in the Blackhawk until now. Next time I load, I’ll open another brick and try those.

Now that I think about it, I have used the same Winchester primers in my Kimber 1911, and they worked fine. I’m thinking the single action 1911’s hammer strike would be similar to the Blackhawk?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Lucked up and got 400 Federal large pistol magnum primers from a friend. Loaded up some rounds and shot several cylinders at 100%. I’ve ordered a Bowen extended firing pin because still don’t think it’s making enough indention in the primers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Installed the Bowen extended firing pin with no improvement. Weird thing is, I loaded some 45 acp with the same Winchester primers I was having trouble with in 45 Colt, and it fired them 100%. I’m at the point that I don’t know what to do other than send it back to Ruger again. I’ve also tried CCI standard large pistol primers and it does even worse....

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Kimber mainsprings in 1911's can be 21 or 23 lbs depending upon model so would strike with more force than the RH. Is your Redhawk the newer model with the firing pin that goes in from the rear of the recoil shield? If it is Bowen offers a shim kit to adjust the firing pin protrusion.

I would still look and measure the firing pin protrusion from the recoil shield, the headspace and endshake of the cylinder as that would eliminate 3 variables. Other than that there must be something causing excess friction or drag in the action. Only other thing I can think of are the corners of the frame window at the recoil shield aren't square which may prevent the hammer from going all the way forward in its travel. Here is a link to a string with Iowegan's comments:

As to friction in the action perhaps some shims for the hammer and trigger may be in order.

Probably when the RH got to Ruger they replaced the hammer with an unmodified one to return to stock condition. If the 14 lb mainspring was in it probably got replaced, too. CCI primers have the reputation of being the least sensitive of primers so am not surprised by them not lighting off.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts