Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a .44mag in the Redhawk or Super Redhawk. What is the difference between these 2. I know that the Super Redhawk has scope rings on the frame. I am not planning on putting a scope on my .44mag. I know that the Super Redhawk comes in 7.5". I was interested in the 5.5" Redhawk at first. Is the Super Redhawk better built? Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The Super was designed to replace the original Redhawk but in the end Ruger kept both designs. If you're looking for a 5.5 you'll only find it in the standard Redhawk and there again good luck finding one. I own both and the only thing I don't like about the standard Redhawk is the grips are to small and I prefer the wood grips. The Super shares the same grip with the GP so there are a few more grip choices out there. The only thing I don't like about the Super is the scope cuts in the frame. I don't plan on ever putting a scope on it and just think it distracts from the over all apperance of the big revolver. I do believe the better balance goes to the Super but not by much. Either one you get you're going to enjoy. The standard also comes with the cuts in the top rib for scope mounting on the 7 1/2". My guess is price is about the same but your best bet is to look at them side by side.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I don't believe Ruger still makes the 5.5" Redhawk and even new 7.5" models are hard to find. I own both , I did scope my 9.5" Super but its purely a range toy for me. I would like to get a 7.5" model and leave it unscoped. Ruger designed the SRH for hunting and most SRH owners scope their guns. I also have a 4" .44 Redhawk and a .44 Alaskan and I really can't pick a favorite among the two, if I had to choose I would probably go with the Redhawk just for its classic appearance and slicker action. The SRH makes for a more utilitarian gun due to more grip choices and the ability to easily use a variety of optics.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you are looking for a 44 mag revolver either would be a great choice. If you are going to scope it the Super would be the obvious choice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just bought a SRH with a 9,5" barrel. To say that I am pleased with it is a understatement. Also have a M29 with 6,5" barrel, looks beautiful, but it will only come out for a "spin" the odd sunday. RH or SHR, you can't go wrong with either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.