Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Redhawk .44mag. that I posted a picture of online, only to start an interesting discussion about Hammer Pivot Pins, and which side they should be inserted etc.
Seems the one I have inserts from the opposite side to a lot of others.
Anyone have any verified information about that?

Attachments

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
Left side tab is a known thing from early production Redhawks. Do you have a 7 groove serration on a narrow rib or 10 grooves on a wide rib? For the record your Redhawk model is a KRH-445. If you have 7 grooves yours is considered "rare". The lowest S/N in the RENE Guide is 500-61488 for a KRH-445 and the highest S/Nis 500-82419. Keep in mind this range includes all the Redhawk models produced and not just the KRH-445.

If you have 10 grooves on a wide rib your S/N should fall in the 500-76813 to 501-03951. A KRH-445 in that range is also "rare". In both cases rare is a subjective term - no one knows how many were made. Ruger records probably don't even track that level of detail. I've never heard an explanation why Ruger decided to swap over the side the hammer pin inserts but for whatever reason they did on a bunch back in 1983 - 1984. Interesting little Rugeroddity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Waveform, that is interesting.
Yes,mine has the 10 grooves/ribs and the Serial No. is 500-860_ _
That's the most information anybody has been able to offer to date.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 5.5” 44 was purchased in 1983. It has a 10 groove rib and the pivot pin is on the left side. Serial # 500-767xx.

The few I’ve seen with the left side pivot pin have all been 5.5” barrels. There was an article in a magazine when the 5.5” became available and it mentioned the pivot pin. No idea why these guns were different, but have guess why they changed back. If you have grips with a speed loader cut out the pin isn’t supported and can back out under recoil.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts