Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been talking with Weigand as well as looking at the JP-RR base for a red dot holographic or reflex style sight for my 3" barreled 1751 GP100. (See Avatar photo. The 4-6" Weigatinny won't fit, so looking at more compact options.)
Have tried several (expensive) varieties of this style sight on a friend's 22 target pistols and can actually hit well with them! Now, may I ask for your experiences and recommendations? I just don't know which sight is durable, accurate, and worth the asking price. Any actual experiences would be gratefully received. Unsubstantiated opinions perhaps less so.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Have used the Weigand mount on about half a dozen GPs over the years and have been well pleased.

As for the red dots, I still prefer a quality tube style red dot, namely the UltraDots. The dots are sharp, screens clear and, compared to a lot of micro style red dots. much more in the way of windage and elevation and brightness adjustments. As for durability, I have used the UD25 on big bore handguns, up to a 460 S&W, 444 Marlin, 45-70 and so on and have never had a single one fail. Lifetime warranty, too, something you do not get with all red dots.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has 3" bbl. the Weigatinny won't work, or I'd use a setup like yours. Sorry, I should have made that clear in the original post. I'll edit, but thank you for the quick, concise reply. Appreciate you sharing your experience and the photo.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
To be honest, haven't found one, yet, but haven't really needed to, since this is mostly a range gun. I'm sure, though, that a search on what action shooters use would get you some choices. In some classes, red dots are used.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I am a fan of the Burris FastFire III and Trijicon RMR for Ruger Revolvers.

The FastFire will require a JPoint to Docter adapter ARR-JP/DR. The Trijicon will require an Arredondo JP to RMR adapter.

The Deltapoint is a good product, as is the JPoint sight, but I like the FFIII and RMR better. The DeltaPoint has a reflexive motion activation which works quite well, the RMR Dual-Illumination is always on - technically - until the tritium fades out, and the JPoint is always on. The FFIII requires push-button activation.

I use the Trijicon for defensive revolvers, and the FFIII for hunting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts