Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my Nikon P223 3x32 scope on my AR but I'm thinking about getting a better scope for it and using this Nikon on my M&P 15-22.. Since the 15-22 is the same AR15 style I know I like the size of the 3x32 for it.. But what kind of issues can I expect using it for a .22 since it's designed for a .223? Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
Parallax Error

I really like my Nikon P223 3x32 scope on my AR but I'm thinking about getting a better scope for it and using this Nikon on my M&P 15-22.. Since the 15-22 is the same AR15 style I know I like the size of the 3x32 for it.. But what kind of issues can I expect using it for a .22 since it's designed for a .223? Thanks
The only problem I see is the same issue you will have with any scope that has no AO adjustment and is intended for a centerfire rifle. Any scope with no AO adjustment has a specific distance at which it is parallax free. Scopes for centerfire rifles are usually parallax free only beyond 100 yards. I looked it up and found the Nikon P223 3X32mm scope has its parallax set at 100 yards. Therefore, the scope will not be parallax free at 50 yards, the distance at which we most frequently shoot 22 LR.

This does not mean you cannot use the scope but it is not the optimal choice for your most likely intended use. Then again, if you plan to use your 22 as a 100 yard rifle, the scope will work just fine.

If you are not familiar with the issue of parallax, do an on line search. I am sure you will find plenty of detailed explanations.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I had a Redfield Revolution 2-7x that I wanted to use on a CZ Scout .22. It had a parallax set for 100 yards. I bought a rubber strap wrench, removed the end cap on the objective end of the lens, and adjusted the notched ring under the cap to where it was parallax free at 60 yards. It takes all of 5 minutes. You just move the notched ring maybe 1/2 a turn or so, in or out while looking at a target at the range you want to set to. Move your head around inside the scope until you notice the cross hairs don't move off of the bulls eye you are looking at. You won't let the nitrogen escape unless you get carried away and unscrew it many turns.
After I sold the CZ Scout to get a left hand CZ, I set the parallax back to 100 yards and put it on a center fire rifle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a P-223 3X Carbine scope on my S&W M&P15/22 and loved it. shooting 50-75 yards was not a problem at all. Yes, this scope is designed for a centerfire rifle and has a fixed parallax at 100 yards but honestly I had no issues with it. A suggestion for a new scope for your AR would be Nikon's M-223 2-8 BDc 600. One of my favorite scopes in the M-223 line. Low profile and more compact then a full sife 40mm obj scope. This scope has a fixed parallax at 100 yards as well. It is built on the MONARCH platform with enhanced glass and coating's. It run's about $150 more then your 3X scope. If you want a full size scope with parallax adjustment check out the PROSTAFF 5 3.5-10x40 BDC reticle.It is current;y under a Nikon sponsored promo for $50 off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts