Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I got into rescuing the old original Ruger walnuts from yesteryear. It was fun and personally rewarding.
Often these stocks were on guns owned by the fathers of freinds whom have since passed on. I like to leave a little of the "memories" in them and present them to the son's.
Anyway, here's one that was quite a challenge but finally emerged in good shape! The son was overwhelmed!

SD

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Beautiful job! That stocked ended up with some nice looking grain in it. I'm afraid if I tried that, it would look worse than when you started. My woodworking skills are really bad.:(

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Good job---bet you put in some hours to get tere.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words folks!I'm at the age where my generation is loosing their fathers. This seemed like a good way to resurect the good memories and have soomething to pass down to future generations as well.

I've been trying several different finishes for these projects, including Tung oil, Tru-oil and a product which I like called ArmRseal.
It's a blend of tung and poly which is very durable but gives the appearence of oil.It's made by General Finishes.
Most products called tung oil contain very little actually tung oil but are mostly varnishes of one type or another. However if used properly they can produce fantastic results. They lend themselves to "touch ups" later too.

These were tung oiled but to different degrees to control the sheen.

SD

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Outstanding job. I salute you for your rescue work. I love doing that stuff too. Just fun to get your hands dirty and have a finished result to be proud of.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Very nice! I like synthetic on some long arms -- the AR family, the PC9 & PC4 and others but on the majority of long guns, I like wood.
Especially on older rifles, almost all shotguns and on AK-47s. :)

·
Banned
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all! I got into this late in life and found quickly it was soooo satisfying. I often think about all the good times and sacred memories which each one of these old friends hold within it's grain.
If I can ever assist anyone here in a project please call on me.
Half the fun is sharing!
Here's one which had been stashed in a closet on the grounds of ugly and was firewood bait.

SD

SD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts