Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is no hard number for this. MY preference is 200 rounds of range ammo and 20 rounds of carry ammo with zero failures.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just recently purchased my first gun. A 4" gp100. Have shot almost 200 (various 357mag and 38spl, some +P) rounds through it with 1 failure. Cartridge turned out to be a dud

In my not so experienced experience, that's pretty fn reliable

Do you have some issues you could share to shed light on why this is a concern for you?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The reliability break-in is different for a pistol vs. revolver. I think for a revolver, where it doesn't have a slide and other parts to interact, it's a much more simple process.

For my current CCW, a alloy framed 1911 commander, I support what the others say; around 200 or so of just common range ammo OF FLAWLESS OPERATION AFTER THE FAILURES STOP.

Then at least 50+ of my chosen defense ammo. But that isn't really chosen by me but more by the gun. I use what is the most reliable in the gun because I don't think there enough real-world performance difference between ANY of them to offset reliability.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
i must be extremely lucky,

i have a SR-22p (which i would not use as a CCW), it is as dependable as the sun, though it will choke occasionally on Remington Thunderdolt, but seems to run fine on everything else, unless its been unloved and uncleaned for too many rounds.

our other handguns are 9mm, we run target grade FMJ Winchester SuperX 115g or Federal American Eagle 124g... whichever we can find in quantity, over the counter and relatively inexpensive.

our LRC9 has probably 300+ rounds through it, with no failures - its a revolver, so i would expect a failure to be the ammo itself. it may get 50 rounds run in a typical trip to the range (if we take it) ---- end of my Ruger handguns

our Beretta 92A1 has well over 1000 rds through it and discussing with my 18 yr old son who puts more down range with it than i do... we cant come up with a single FTF, FTE or other issue. it gets cleaned every other trip to the range, a typical range trip for it will be 100+ rounds.

sidebar: we also have a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine in 9mm, feed it the same as above but it gets most of the mileage at the range, this guy will see 200+ rds per trip. we might have 1-2 issues with it on any outing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is no hard number for this. MY preference is 200 rounds of range ammo and 20 rounds of carry ammo with zero failures.
This is my preference too, though I will also allow a brief break in period. I have had a few guns that needed to be shot some before they would function with 100% reliability.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Couple hundred range and 50 or so of the HP's I will be using, if all is trouble free.

My counter question, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? :)

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
My Colt 1911 wast reliable when I bought it. It took one Box to convince me of that fact. Still good after a 1000+.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts