Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go to wally-world today and took a look at the pistol amm0----sticker shock set in as its been a while since i bought any off the shelf.
Everything is going up.
be it the simple cost of doing business to
paying for higher fuel, mining, demand, war effort, etc. etc.

Always like to encourage people to get into reloading. To figure the cost per round or per box is easy.
Lets see---when at wally-world I noticed that winchester white box 100 ct of 45acp was running a bit over $32.00

reloading components
hard cast lead 230 gr rn -------$28.00/500
one pound powder win 231--------$21.00/pound(7000 grains)
winchester lge pistol primers---$03.00/100
brass--free to pick up

break it down per round to reload
bullets -.056 cents
powder---.015 cents
primer---.o3 cents

adds up to roughly .10 cents/rd X 100 rds = $10.00/box 100rds

want fmj instead of lead bullet---cost goes up to roughly $21.00/100 rds.

Either way it beats the heck out of $32.00/100rds factory

Amounts will vary according to your loads/componets.

Reloading--(at least in my case)is a good hobby + it saves the money!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, leave it to me to be still do things the long way!
Appreciate the link to the program.
That should make it easier for folks to figure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I haven't bought any factory ammo in years, except .22s, and I buy most of my components in small bulk. 500 to 1000 cast bullets at a time, primers by the thousand, brass when it's on sale even if I don't need it at the moment. Two years ago Midway had Sierra .277 Gamekings on sale for about half price, I bought 400. They will last a long time.

I have also started buying Rem and Win jacketed handgun bullets since they are usually a few dollars cheaper per 100 than other bullet companies. And I believe they are quite good too. The only thing I don't buy in bulk is powder. I have about twenty 1 lb. cans on my shelf. But I may start buying four pounders of my two or three most used powders if it will save some bucks.

Jay

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I try to keep a few Bucks stuck back and watch for sale specials. Midway and most other dealers run special sales at times on components. When they do I take advantage of it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amazing how much brass that people never bother to pick up from the range. .38spl and 45acp laying on the ground like pecans waiting to be picked up.
Usually get my bullets at a gun show from the same vendor every time.
Always perfer a hard cast.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I fall back on the adage that I haven't saved any money at all.
1. I'm able to shoot a lot more.
2. Get new guns/calibers to reload for and shoot more.
3. Introduce new folks to fire-arms and shoot more.
4. I don't bowl or golf, and haven't fished in over thirty years, so I
put that savings into re-loading, and "SHOOT MORE".

I just wish all this practice would show up on my targets.... :D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yes it does save money but I end up being able to shoot much more and those once in a life time shots that happens ( are rare) I say yea and that was one of my reloads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Coast savings is a factor, it allows me to shoot more on my budget. I also like the fact that I am self sufficent in regards to ammo. I especially like going into my own little world in my reloading room. It's my domain where I can spend 3 or so hours at a time, reflecting on life while I load. Something about it I can't quite put my finger on, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. I really really enjoy it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Cap

Coast savings is a factor, it allows me to shoot more on my budget. I also like the fact that I am self sufficent in regards to ammo. I especially like going into my own little world in my reloading room. It's my domain where I can spend 3 or so hours at a time, reflecting on life while I load. Something about it I can't quite put my finger on, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. I really really enjoy it.
It's like washing your car or cleaning your guns. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.