Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Looks dangerous to me, and I don't think the results would be worth the effort.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Looks interesting. Might have to look into it. Just for fun/novelty. And you would have a way to reload .22 if desired. Currently we are at mercy of manufacturer (no builk .22 around here yet). Right now I am using my .32 H&R Mag as a 'reloadable' .22 which is working out well.

Wonder what 'brick' means to him... 350, 550? Gues it doesn't really matter as I don't see this as high volume production :) .

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I've seen it, too. Someone told me it was still cheaper to buy ammo than to use the kit.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,042 Posts
Back in the mid-70's there was a similar kit. It came with 1000 40gr bullets, a bottle of liquid priming compound (much like model airplane glue), a sizing die and a combination bullet seating a crimp die. The kit sold for 10 bucks so I bought one just for grins. It took about an hour to crank out 50 rounds and at the time, you could buy a box of 50 premium grade 22s for 99 cents. That was a 50% savings but I figured my time was worth more than 50 cents an hour so after just a box or two, I trashed the kit.

The kit was also fussy about spent cases. Some of my 22s put a major dent in the rim and couldn't be loaded. Accuracy and function were about what you would expect from a reloaded 22 .... not as good as factory ammo but it worked. You did have to be careful when loading a magazine to make sure the old rim dent was not aligned with the firing pin. This kit sounds like something a "prepper" would buy ... just because.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have purchased a very good supply of 22LR for 5-6 cents per round & I just don't see how you can justify the time spent & the concern about were the original primer strike is.

Not worth it to me. For the price he quoted for the kit, I buy a Remington Golden Bucket with 1,400 rounds($79) or Federal Automatch 325 count boxes for $18

Now, a box of .45 ACP is a different story.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If anyone is that curious about this kit, there is a YouTube video of a guy testing that kit.
Just watched both videos of the guy testing the kit (actually linked right at the end of the OP's video).

For the amount of work involved, at this point I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If my .22 ammo runs out and the stores are empty, I'll be left fighting zombies with .45ACP, .357M and a lawnmower.

I'm going to take my chances on that....

·
Registered
552 Posts
GONRA loves this stuff - from a technical rim fire priming standpoint. (Otherwise gotta admit its pointless!)

Decades ago went thru Priming Patent Literature, made up a Remington Glassless RF Priming Mix and test fired.
Spun wet mix into Brand New (NOT once fired!) CCI .22 LR case rim cavity
by chucking in a Vertical Milling Machine drill chuck. Dried out, popped in my Ruger pistol Just Fine.

So will be interested to see what OTHERS do and maybe make ammo with the tooling Sharp Shooter supplies.

Stay Tuned - Primer Mix Nuts (any out there?) (Probably NOT, were all scared...)

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
GONRA loves this stuff - from a technical rim fire priming standpoint. (Otherwise gotta admit its pointless!)

Decades ago went thru Priming Patent Literature, made up a Remington Glassless RF Priming Mix and test fired.
Spun wet mix into Brand New (NOT once fired!) CCI .22 LR case rim cavity
by chucking in a Vertical Milling Machine drill chuck. Dried out, popped in my Ruger pistol Just Fine.

So will be interested to see what OTHERS do and maybe make ammo with the tooling Sharp Shooter supplies.

Stay Tuned - Primer Mix Nuts (any out there?) (Probably NOT, were all scared...)
No habla.

I'm interested in what you have to say but your posts are difficult to read. Try writing in normal syntax and lose the 3rd person nonsense.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can see why a preper would like this but with the newer magnum adult air rifles out there you can get as much an much much more power from air then a 22. I got the Benjamin marauder precharged pneumatic in .25 cal and this thing is amazing. I use pellets from 25gn to 43gn with velocities between 1225 (25gn) down to 890(43gn)
Accuracy is amazing out to 75 yds. A friend of mine has a hog farm and I talked him into letting me take his next slaughter with my air rifle. Head shot at 25 yds with the 43gn pellet was a quick clean kill. You charge the gun with a hand pump like a bike pump but this one pumps to 3000 psi. There are some rifles up to .50 cal with velocities at 800+.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Unfortunately, 78 year olde Computer Amateur GONRA needs GONRA in posts to search for 'em in future if needed....

Really don't give a dam about reloading .22 RF but was REALLY curious
about the primer mix chemistry in the Prime-All "4 part kit" they sell.
Don’t know if this is possible but am trying….

If you actually try the "match heads" or "paper cap mix" route,
remember that the caps are (as far as I know) a mixture of
red phosphorus and potassium chlorate, maybe a stabilizer added . (Little bit of sulfur?)

Red phosphorus and potassium chlorate mixtures are regarded as
too sensitive to use in anything BUT “toy pistol paper caps”.
If you Just Have to doit, keep quantities extremely small, wear goggles
and if possible plastic gloves to avoid skin contact.

Think the "strike anyware match heads" are a mixture of phosphorus sesquisulfide and potassum chlorate.

Have fun rusting out yer .22 LR bores with this stuff.....

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Thank you GONRA. I was able to decipher that one. My apologies if my previous comment came across as too harsh. I just want to be able to understand your posts.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ya, I think I'll pass.

I never went completely out of 22lr.
Close - couldn't find a brand I really wanted, but I have some.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts