Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to begin reloading. I plan on starting with .38 special to get some experience, however I am really interested in reloading for my wife's SP101 .327 Fed Mag revolver.

What would be the most "forgiving" caliber to reload:
.32S&W Long OR .32H&R Magnum ??????

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
21,484 Posts
Both straight walled cartridges that share the same bullets so I guess availability of cases and reloading data would be my deciding factors. My assumption is by forgiving you are talking about reloading and not forgiving to shoot as the 32 S&W L is a softer shooter but neither should be bad in an SP.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the SP101, you can shoot .32S&W, .32 S&W long, .32H&R mag and .327 fed magnum. Each, in the order listed, is more powerful than the one before it. None of these have much recoil....(the .327 Mag has the most....also is the best self-defense round.) The SP101 in .327 Federal Mag is "the-little-revolver-that- could" .(A good handload using Hornady 100 grain XTP bullets over W296 will Light-up-tha-sky too)....You also have 6 shots compared to only 5 in 357/38 with the same size gun.......The only drawback so far has been finding .327 Mag loading brass. Federal is supposed to make another brass run again soon and Star-line has indicated it will make brass in the future. ...........Don in SC

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes, by forgiving, I was referring to the handloading process, not recoil. This is the most enjoyable gun I own (well it's my wife's gun technically). It is a very easy gun to shoot even in the .327 federal magnums. It has done wonders getting my wife to enjoy shooting. Thus far, she has only shot the .32 S&W Longs out of it.

I just ordered a Lee Classic Turret Press, and was curious about ordering dies. I'll probably end up handloading at least 3 of the .32 caliber choices.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Each of the mentioned 32 rounds are loaded with the same set of dies.

The Dillon decapper die won't work with the 327 Fed case is the only contradiction.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As far as dies........I have the Redding 32 S&W/32 H&R Mag Titanium Carbide
die set and can load all four (32S&W/32 LONG/ 32 H&R / and 327 Fed Mag all with this die set. (Redding dies are the very best I have ever used)..Don in SC

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip on getting dies for all four. I may jumped the gun in my excitement. I purchased Lee Carbide Dies for the .32H&R Mag, thinking I'd at least be able to load for that caliber and the .327 Federal Magnum. Hopefully, they'll work for all 4. They may not, since Lee sells different dies for .32 S&W, .32S&W Long and Mag, and .32H&R Magnum.

I got them in a set with the Lee Classic Turret Press, along with dies for 9mm and .38 special.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts