Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dusted off the ol' Super Comanche, and realized why I put it up.

it shoots .45 long colt and 410 shotgun shells.

I've seen that demand for 410 shells isnt there, so they do alot of price gouging on a box of 25.

my question is, what would be a good reloading data book to reload 410 shotgun shells,

and would it be possible to use a Hornady Lock and Load AP press to reload either 410 plastic hulls, or 410 brass cases.

or what would be the cheapest and most efficient press to reload 410 shotgun shells.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...

The Hornady LNL is not suited to reload shotgun shells and cannot be made to do so, not even .410 shells.

The MEC's are about as cheap as it gets for .410 shells. The Lee Load-All's are cheaper options for 12, 16, and 20ga, but were never made in .410, and as far as I have seen, cannot be converted to load 410 either. I have an older MEC and all 3 Load-All's, but I'll be honest, I haven't reloaded anything but heavier than lead coyote hunting loads in the last 6-7yrs, it just doesn't save enough. .410 is a little more economically viable for reloading, but the components aren't usually handy to find either.

Maybe you can find an old "Lee Loader" hand set...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,038 Posts
Probably a MEC 600 JR would be the best route. You can order it with any set of dies .... 410, 28 ga, 20 ga, 16 ga, or 12 ga. The press can be adjusted for 2 1/2", 2 3/4", or 3" shells. You will need a bag of shot, plastic wads, and gun powder (2400 works really well), plus a scale. You can even buy an automatic primer feeder if you want. You will also need the powder and shot bushings for the charge bar. An adjustable charge bar is an excellent investment and totally eliminates buying a bunch of expensive shot and powder bushings. The 600 JR works just like a turret press ... load one cartridge from start to finish then load another. You can often find these presses used (pretty cheap) and sometimes with several sets of dies.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lee loader

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...

The Hornady LNL is not suited to reload shotgun shells and cannot be made to do so, not even .410 shells.

The MEC's are about as cheap as it gets for .410 shells. The Lee Load-All's are cheaper options for 12, 16, and 20ga, but were never made in .410, and as far as I have seen, cannot be converted to load 410 either. I have an older MEC and all 3 Load-All's, but I'll be honest, I haven't reloaded anything but heavier than lead coyote hunting loads in the last 6-7yrs, it just doesn't save enough. .410 is a little more economically viable for reloading, but the components aren't usually handy to find either.

Maybe you can find an old "Lee Loader" hand set...
I'd be interested in that. Could you go into detail about a Lee Loader Handset?

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shotgun press

Probably a MEC 600 JR would be the best route. You can order it with any set of dies .... 410, 28 ga, 20 ga, 16 ga, or 12 ga. The press can be adjusted for 2 1/2", 2 3/4", or 3" shells. You will need a bag of shot, plastic wads, and gun powder (2400 works really well), plus a scale. You can even buy an automatic primer feeder if you want. You will also need the powder and shot bushings for the charge bar. An adjustable charge bar is an excellent investment and totally eliminates buying a bunch of expensive shot and powder bushings. The 600 JR works just like a turret press ... load one cartridge from start to finish then load another. You can often find these presses used (pretty cheap) and sometimes with several sets of dies.
I've seen a couple for sale, I'll be looking specifically for the ones you mentioned.

If I could find one cheap enough I'd like to reload some.

If not, I'll be stuck buying a carton of shells a year, just in 410.

since its a 410/45 long colt, I might be better off just reloading 45 long colt. with snake shot.

the little lady likes the single shot .45/410. she is not too fond of the .44 magnum.

·
Registered
552 Posts
GONRA suggests you might have some fun getting Brand New all brass cases.
Checkout Ballistic Products, Inc.
Could envision all sorts of tinkering / aroundgefoolin' with these!

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heck yeah

GONRA suggests you might have some fun getting Brand New all brass cases.
Checkout Ballistic Products, Inc.
Could envision all sorts of tinkering / aroundgefoolin' with these!
!!!!!!! thanks for the link! squirrels beware!

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I emailed lee to see I could buy the parts to build a kit they sold back in 1960.

there are a couple of places that sell brand new versions of the 410 hand loading kit.

the video vaminterror posted, I watch all the way through, seemed like it would be easy and inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Keep trying E-Bay, The used Classic kits pop up from time to time. Just make sure all the parts are there, so many get things lost over the years and you want one with all the right parts.

That home made 410 reloading kit looked really neat, something I might be able to make, going to print it out and see if I can make it happen.
Gary

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
lee loader

Keep trying E-Bay, The used Classic kits pop up from time to time. Just make sure all the parts are there, so many get things lost over the years and you want one with all the right parts.

That home made 410 reloading kit looked really neat, something I might be able to make, going to print it out and see if I can make it happen.
Gary
that would be nice to find a lee kit. the other kits sold look kinda cheesey. maybe if they weren't $50-$90, and looking cheesey it would be a good deal. haha.

but to build a kit for less than $25 would be ideal.

I saved that page to a zip drive for future reference.

and since you can buy 410 hulls already primed, some of that kit you wouldnt need. all you would need would be the wads, hulls already primed, and some leadshot, and powder. the biggest part of the kit would be the star crimper and the pvc pipe to hold it in place.

if you build a kit before I get a chance , please post a photo.

I'm gonna start looking for those part numbers from the MECH shotgun loader. I'm guesstimating that they would only be about $2-$5.

for what you would pay for for 25 410 shells ($17) you could buy 100 410 shells already primed for the same price. and hornady sells 0-0000 buckshot in 5 pound containers.

the only thing I havent found yet is some reloading data for 410.

if someone has some updated data for 410 or where to find some spec sheets please share.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dowel rod

Gary
another thing that would be tough for me to figure out, would be how to cut the two dowel rods to finish the star crimp. the photos they show aren't that detailed.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If you don't buy primers, don't build a deprimer and a primer seater, how are you going to load the hulls the second time?

0-000 buck out of a .410 is largely a waste of time, especially out of your Super Comanche.

You also do need to be cognizant of your loads for short barreled .410's. The short barrel doesn't build much punch behind the payload, so picking the right powder is important.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I would just wait build the deprimer at a later time.

here is another link that someone made just using a punch and socket.

but these were made using already fired shells,

Need a easy way to form a crimp on new shells. that is easy and cheap.

https://picasaweb.google.com/111586335714667129881/Reloading410?feat=directlink

I'm trying to ask this guy how he made his set: http://www.cafeoutdoors.com/ubb/showflat.php?Number=173096&page=

and this guy used his lee press, but the only thing I dont like is that he glued the shells instead of crimping: http://www.surplusfirearm.com/2011/10/29/reloading-shot-shells-without-a-reloading-press/

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
WalMart has pretty decent prices on .410 shotgun shells.

I would think you'd need to shoot and reload a LOT of shells to make it worth your time and money on equipment investment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts