Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any experance in reloading this caliber, I have heard its a paper thin case and hard to reload. Any help will be greatly appreicated

·
Registered
197 Posts
Snuffy here is my last post to Jimbo regarding that caliber.

......the most recent issue of Handloader, #250 has an excellent and lengthy article on loading the 44-40. Lots of info there including dispelling some myths.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks will have to get that book always need more books on reloading ya never have enough.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have some experance reloading 44-40 its is concider a rifle cartage from what I gather and the dies are harden steel so ya have to lub before resizing. And Starr Line brass is the way to go as its a little thicker side wall. But still its a labor of love and I am sure I will mess up a few cases but something about loading for it the ole west and all. I think I am going like this new change.

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
I took a peek on the RCBS web site and looked at popular pistol cartridges and the dies looked carbide to me. Didn't have enough info to confirm but looks like they may be available. If so they may save a few cases as sometimes the lube causes issues when sizing. I would contact RCBS if you are interested in carbide and ask them.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/,D...yDisplay&categoryId=C09J043N143&route=C09J043

·
Registered
219 Posts
...something about loading for it the ole west and all.
Understand that Snuffy. Relaoding the other day I realized that I mainly reload to have something to shoot. But, when it comes to .45 LC it's different. I like handling the case, the bullet and the finished round. The whole Long Colt operation is pure enjoyment.

At Winter Range I shot the Gatling gun and scrounged a piece of the brass form "my" loader. Have it sitting next to my desk and constantly picked it up and play with it. I am now thinking I need a 45-70 just so I can reload for it. Very strange but the idea of loading 45-70s sounds better than shooting them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks terry I'll check it out, chance my friend I think ya have the bug lol enjoy. Once ya have gone to winter range your never the same, and that is a good thing as the west lives on in you ( wink ).

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got of the phone with RCBS and no one makes a carb size die for 44-40 as there is too much taper to the case. But your right they sure look like carb to me too. Thanks for the help and the idea. They wanted 41.95 plus shipping little high I got Lee for 19.95 harden steel like theirs. Thanks again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've reloaded my 44-40 case almost 60 time each in the last 12 yrs without one
case failure for 7 different guns. .. Get a M die from Lyman for 44 spec/ 44 mag
if you use bullets .428 or larger it keep you from crushing case , if setup right you
should be able to seat bullet to grease grove by hand.. a heavy crimp will fold shoulder
also.. most rugers the chambers are short and take a little off die or shell holder to make case fit gun..
the cases size with NO efford and require almost no lube [love your pup]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.