Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have just obtained a supply of the new Federal 130 gr. HST bullets.:)
There appears to be two choices for seating the bullets...either like Federal does, with maybe 1/8" of the bullet protruding from the case mouth, or at the cannelure, if it won't exceed cylinder length.

My parameters:
Ruger Match Champion 357 Magnum,:thumbsup: 4", Magnum brass, standard primers. Loading to no more than 900 fps.

Is anyone loading these bullets, or can anyone recommend a reliable source for loads?

The fellow that shared his stash with me seats the bullets as Federal does, and says he has dropped his standard 357 158 gr. load to 4 or 4.5 gr. Unique to start experimentation.

Not being able to find any information for loading the bullets to the factory advertised velocity of 890 fps, I think that since great expansion occurs from ~825-850 fps, the loads my friend is trying should be O.K., especially in a Magnum.
I have Unique, AA #5 and Universal to use, and I don't like Bullseye. I think some published loads for solid wadcutters should work. Are there other powders I should consider, which will fill the empty space in the cartridge, to eliminate the variations of velocity caused by powder position in 357 Magnum cases?

Any information will be appreciated.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
434 Posts
Expert hand-loader I am not, but I also picked up 200 of them. I think I’m going to use starting load 158-g data since they will be seated so deep. And I’ll be loading them in some Win +P+ .38 cases I found locally. The deep seating makes me pretty nervous though ...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I’m going to use starting load 158-g data since they will be seated so deep. The deep seating makes me pretty nervous though ...
Yep, I know what you mean. For me, I'm going with double ended Wadcutter loads in .357 brass to start, as I'm almost sure they will get the bullet out of the barrel!
Good luck!:)

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I can run the numbers in quickload to see what it says, but I'll need to know the projectile length and the oal length you want of the loaded cartridge.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can run the numbers in quickload to see what it says, but I'll need to know the projectile length and the oal length you want of the loaded cartridge.
SafetyJoe; Thank you, Sir! Cartridge overall length is 1.345" and the boolit length is .605". 357 brass.
I don't know if this will help, but the powders I have on hand are: Unique, Universal, Trail Boss and 800 X.
Again Thanks! :)

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
SafetyJoe; Thank you, Sir! Cartridge overall length is 1.345" and the boolit length is .605". 357 brass.
I don't know if this will help, but the powders I have on hand are: Unique, Universal, Trail Boss and 800 X.
Again Thanks! :)
Quickload doesn't list 800x or 700x powders. Using the numbers you gave me it's saying 7.1 grains of unique would be the max charge at just under 35,000psi chamber pressure. From the 4.2 " GP100 barrel it's saying that would be 1267 fps velocity with 100% powder burn. If you want to stay under 900 fps you'll need to use 4.6 grains or less. Your powder burn rate drops to 93% at that level and the chamber pressure is only 14,430 psi.

With universal powder you'll need 4.2 grains or less to stay under 900 fps and the pressure is at a low 14,712 psi. With that powder it's saying the max charge would be 6.5 grains which would give you 1218 fps velocity.

With trail boss and a 100% case capacity load which would be 4.26 grains you get 812 fps velocity and 13,468 psi.

Hope that helps
Stay safe & happy reloading

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you again! I have to look into Quickload. :thumbsup:

Woops! I overlooked AA#5 powder. Apologies! If it wouldn't be too much more of an imposition could you run that with the same figures?
COL 1.345" Boolit length .605" 357 brass.
Again, many thanks! :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have not seen these bullets for reloading at all. However the Lucky Gunner test is impressive.

Before I reloaded it, especially like Federal loads it, I would like to see more information. Loading it at 357 magnum velocities is probably a NO GO. Lucky Gunner observed that 800 FPS is needed for reliable expansion and penetration.
Absolutely! There is little to no information regarding reloading these specific bullets, because they are so new, and Federal will likely not be forthcoming with load information.

But somebody has to start the ball rolling, and it might as well be the few of us who managed to obtain a supply of the bullets. :)

I think a good place to begin is with my Speer manual, which has information for its 135 gr Gold Dot projectile... the 5 gr. bullet weight difference will be inconsequential, and Speer published a photo showing excellent expansion at 860 fps. Federal advertises the velocity of its loaded 130 gr. ammunition at 890 fps/4" barrel, and Speer tells me to expect ~900 fps from its load in my 4" barrel. Lucky Gunner tests speak for themselves. So, no need to Hot Rod either of the bullets, IMO.
Bullet length, which has .550" inside the case, will be a consideration, indicating that Wadcutter loads may be a proper starting point. My 148gr. DEWC only has ~.455" in the case, tho., so caution is recommended.

The lucky Gunner tests showed excellent expansion at 825 fps from a 2" barrel, and 1" more penetration and about the same expansion at 850 fps from a 4" barrel, so my goal is to approach those velocities, which are not over the design limits of the bullet. That said, I will be adding to my supply of factory ammunition from both Speer and Federal.

That is why I am grateful to the fellow I got the bullets from, who suggests reducing his Unique load to 4-4.5 gr as a start, and Safety Joe on the forum, who was kind enough to provide loads from Quickload, so I don't have to use the TLAR method.(That Looks About Right);)

Terra Incognita? You Bet! But with help from reloading manuals, the few others who are experimenting with the same projectile, and the ruggedness of my Match Champion...all will be well!;) I am an optimist!:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received some of these same bullets and want to load like the Federal ammo. Load in 38 special brass and trying to figure out where to start for sure. Pretty new to reloading, so trying to figure out a starting load, loading them as a wadcutter.

I am going to be shooting them out of a Ruger GP100.

I will be following this thread.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where are you guys finding these bullets?/QUOTE]

I went on Gunbroker, and searched ".38 Wadcutters". Last I looked, no longer there.Good luck!

Why not use 38 brass? Sounds like its a 38-38+p charge.
'Cuz 357 Magnum is all I have.;)

Due to a bout of illness, :eek: no further work done, but due to the
Corona Virus cautions, and wife and I both being in the high risk category, will probably be spending some time in the loading room.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts