Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said I'm reloading for a 45colt 3.75 Birdhead Vaquero, my first batch of reloads are.
Unique 7.1grains
SNS lead 250grain RNFP
Starling brass
Winchester WLP
This load shoots pretty good at 12 yards rested I can keep them in a 3 inch circle. Problem being there is a lot of suet on the outside of the cases as if there not expanding enough to seal off the chamber. If this is normal I'm ok with it.
The manuals I have call for:
Lyman 6.0 to 9.0
Hornaday 4.6 to 7.0 (cowboy loads)
Lee. 8.4 to 9.5
Alliant. 9.5 max
I am under the impression that the new model Vaquero's can't take heavy loads like the Blackhawks.
What are you guys loading in your Vaquero's
Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I run that load in my Vaquero and I get the same amount of soot, but it's a nice comfortable load. The sooting lessens when I take it up to 8 gr. I don't know if it will make the recoil uncomfortable on the birdshead. If it does, you might try annealing the cases and try the 7 gr again.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Remember there is the New Vaquero and the original Vaquero. Just writing 'Vaquero' is a bit ambiguous. Oh and both are New Model revolvers. There were no Old Model (pre-73 3 screw) Vaqueros made.

When using Unique, my New Vaquero gets 8.5g under 250g RNFP. I know many shooters like 8.0g as a general purpose load also. My goto load is 7.0g of Green Dot under 250g RNFP for general purpose. Woods load is 13.0g of HS-6 under 255g SWC.

As far as cylinder strength goes, the New Vaquero is good to Tier 2 loads (23K psi) while the original Vaquero and large frame BHs are good for Tier 3 loads (30K psi) also referred to as Ruger Only Loads. The New Vaquero is by no means a 'weak' revolver. Enjoy!

Here is an article by Brian Pearce you might enjoy. The article is using the 45-270-SAA bullet (280g bullet), but any SWC or RNFP bullet 250g on up would be fine with these loads :

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL 246partial.pdf

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went from 6-8gr in mine using a 250-255gr RNFP. I settled on 7.2gr as accuracy is below 2" @ 12yrds off hand. Most shots going thru the same holes. Got over 900fps with 8gr and good accuracy as well. Choose to load little lighter to stretch the pounds out (accuracy comes first tho). Best of luck

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I like to fill my 45 Colt cases (or any of the big stuff), so I use Trailboss in Tier I and IMR 4227 in Tier II loads. Cases come out pretty clean, no complaints. Position sensitivity for burning is pretty much moot.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I went from 6-8gr in mine using a 250-255gr RNFP. I settled on 7.2gr as accuracy is below 2" @ 12yrds off hand. Most shots going thru the same holes. Got over 900fps with 8gr and good accuracy as well. Choose to load little lighter to stretch the pounds out (accuracy comes first tho). Best of luck

Go on, stoke 'em up. No girlie loads. You are already saving plenty just by reloading.;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go on, stoke 'em up. No girlie loads. You are already saving plenty just by reloading.;)
Your a funny guy, no girlie loads egh? I wouldn't really call a round no man on earth would stand up to a girlie load ( I know what your saying, hardy har har). I do have 3, .44mags that receive the H110 treatment. There are girlies here on the forum that shoot hotter loads and bigger calibers in a handguns than many men own. Jus sayin'.....nothin "girlie" i see about it. But tease away, I never mind that and welcome it to be honest. So long as its done in good fun we should always taunt and tease one another. Thanks for the smile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Power is nice. Accuracy is deadly. Work on the accuracy first. Try something like 6gr of Red Dot or 6.5gr of Green Dot and become deadly, especially in that small piece. While lighter than many Colt loads, they are still the full equal of factory .45ACP loads, and that's been doing the job for over a hundred years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts