Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone reloading for Ruger-57 who is interested in sharing recipes and lessons learned. I have some preliminary data if interested.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I suggest getting as many reloading data books that you can. More choices in loads that way. 4 that i use the most is Lee's latest,Lymans 50th and Lymans 3rd and 4th cast. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Is there anyone reloading for Ruger-57
I see you picked one of the most dangerous cartridges to reload.....................I hope you are a very experienced reloader.

Reactions: CoalcrackerAl

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
To add you don't need to load hot either all the time. You can have fun target shooting with out full power.
CoalcrackerAl, when you’re talking a min/max load separated by 10ths of a grain and NOT grains, (not to mention the other details involved with the 57) a relaoder better bring his “A” game. (y)

·
Registered
471 Posts
My miss read threw me off. I was thinking he was referring to 357. I don't think there is any published data for the 57. Just like the 22 tcm there is very little. I almost bought a 9mm/22tcm 1911. I now have 2 9mm 1911's in my 1911 collection. The only manual that list Alliants new sport pistol is Speers latest.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
My miss read threw me off. I was thinking he was referring to 357. I don't think there is any published data for the 57.
I believe there is some now, the down side is , or was, that FN was very tight lipped about the cartridge. It’s not one for the intermediate reloader, a 10th of grain can be the difference between a safe load and one that goes kaboom. Case separation at the shoulder is another issue.........Its nothing I can to mess with.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I will be honest. I am a very experienced reloader of 27 year experience (since I was 12). No, i don’t know it all and I am still very much learning. But I have stayed away from the 5.7 for exactly this reason. I am not scared of it, but the 5.7 was not really designed to be reloaded. Sure flame me that it can be done, and you are right, it can be done. But it is asking for issues, and I am not talking just about going over pressure. Cases need to be coated, so firing, cleaning and sizing is going to wear away at the coating. It won’t take long till the wear on that coating starts causing issues. So reload if you like, but problems will ensue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I wonder if it can be loaded with shotgun powders for light loads? Like rifle can be. But then the slide may not cycle.
To my knowledge no, it's just to dangerous with this cartridge. I now someone who used Blue Dot but he ran into pressure spike........Trail Boss turned it into a flame thrower...........Yep, that's a cartridge I want to load. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I started research regarding this topic a few months ago. Checked out a couple other websites. After posting here Mark204 gave me the same advise. I’ve since abandoned the project. I think once you do some reading you might come to the same conclusion. Without data from a manual, I’m not going there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all! Newbie to this forum and was just out surfing for some info on my 57... After much research and contemplation, I started loading the 57 a couple of months ago. There is published data for it although some is inaccurate (Lyman list COAL is incorrect for example). It is a very different animal and i would not recommend a beginning loader to even consider it. 57 requires absolute attention to detail and loads must be worked up slowly and carefully. Ive run approx 400+ with no issues..BUT im staying shy of max. And min to max is typically .5 grn!!!!! Its a PITA to deal with at first, but for an experienced loader shouldnt b an issue...
JW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there anyone reloading for Ruger-57 who is interested in sharing recipes and lessons learned. I have some preliminary data if interested.
Sir, I have loaded for the 5.7x28 some time ago, It is a large pain in the ass. It has a poly coating on the case. If you tumble the coating off it will stick in the chamber.
Pressure can jump very quick. Not a long list of powders to work with this.It also has a crimp on the primers.

Mike Circle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reloading data are included in the Lyman 50th Edition, but only 13 loads for 3 bullets.. I've been reloading for almost 60 years, and this is NOT one cartridge I'll be reloading.. With factory-ammo prices starting at more than a dollar, this is also one cartridge I will not be buying lots of...like the 8K rounds of premium PD ammo for my S&W40s.

...er...change of plans.. Have ordered some 40g. Nosler bullets and will be buying dies and brass as soon as I can find any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found reloading data in the Lyman 50th Edition, Accurate has data online, and Wolfe Publishing's Load Data has a bunch.. I finished just today my first batch of workups using Lehigh's Controlled Chaos 38- and 45g. all-copper bullets and will be shooting them tomorrow.. Have correct cartridge trays coming; they, too, are in short supply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sir, I have loaded for the 5.7x28 some time ago, It is a large pain in the ass. It has a poly coating on the case. If you tumble the coating off it will stick in the chamber.
Pressure can jump very quick. Not a long list of powders to work with this.It also has a crimp on the primers.

Mike Circle
True on the friction-reduction coating.. I've read and seen at least two videos on removing it or getting around that problem; I simply lube and reload the cases.. The FNH rounds do have crimped primers; the Federal American Eagles do not even tho they use FHN cases.. I'll be shooting a box of the AEs tomorrow, thereby adding to my once-fired-case pile.

On powders, with 40- or 45g. bullets, Accurate 7 is the clear winner; good thing I had 3/4 pound.. Ordered an 8-pound bottle from Powder Valley today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts