Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my java on the porch this morning and watched the visitors in my front yard. They come all thru the day for the corn chops and feed wheat I put out.

<http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/15AcreWoods/Wildlife/Doeand2fawns.jpg>

After they left I got my 357 SP101 (used but new to me) and went to my backstop and fired 50 rounds. I have a backstop and berm 50 yds from the porch. I got the SP for pocket carry and I think it will work out fine. I have been loading 18 grains of H4227 behind a 125 gr. JHP for my GP100 and S&W 686. I think I am blowing a lot of unburned powder out the muzzle. I wonder if Unique or Bulleye would work better in the 2.25 in barrel. I am looking for around 400 ft. lbs of energy. I find that the SP101 with 357s does not recoil any harder than 38 Spl + in my son's S&W 638. I have about 9 more ounces of steel in my SP than he does in his 638.

The target practice does not seem to bother my visitors. They come back when I am done.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I don't load special for the SP. Just shoot the same loads I cook up for the Blackhawk and sther DAs. Usually H110 or lately Herco. Seems to work fine to me. I do load Unique but prefer the H110. Also used 2400 231 and 296 according to bullet and performance level. Don't use bullseye except for wadcutter target loads much anymore.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,042 Posts
Oddly enough, slow burning powder produces higher velocities in a short barrel gun than faster burning powders. I've chronographed many loads and found it true every time. The disadvantage of slow powders is they create a huge muzzle flash. That's not a big deal except at night. All loads from a short barreled gun will have a fire ball but none can compare with W-296/H-110.

In a short barrel, you can drive a 158 gr bullet just as fast as a 125 gr bullet. A heavier bullet will put more energy on the target so that's what I would recommend. A 158 gr JHP over a 15 gr dose of W-296 and a CCI 550 primer ought to do the job.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

Oddly enough, slow burning powder produces higher velocities in a short barrel gun than faster burning powders. I've chronographed many loads and found it true every time. The disadvantage of slow powders is they create a huge muzzle flash. That's not a big deal except at night. All loads from a short barreled gun will have a fire ball but none can compare with W-296/H-110.

In a short barrel, you can drive a 158 gr bullet just as fast as a 125 gr bullet. A heavier bullet will put more energy on the target so that's what I would recommend. A 158 gr JHP over a 15 gr dose of W-296 and a CCI 550 primer ought to do the job.
Thanks. I will try this with 158 gr. bullets. I load 158s for my GP and S&W 686. What about 180 and 200 gr. jacketed bullets? A question I have wondered about is using .358 diameter jacketed bullets in a revolver.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have used the Speer 180gr HJSP in .357 mag and max, but not the 200gr. I would consider 180 about the heaviest I would care to load. On the .358, Iowegan answered that in your other post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.