Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm living to talk about it. Went to extract some brass from my two vibratory units, that reside in my detached garage. Go out and I notice some yellowjackets buzzing around in the back corner where my vibratory units are. I investigate and low and behold up under my bench and against the wall is a fairly new nest. My guess maybe 6" or so, hard to tell exactly. Anyways, I grab my trusty can of spray and attack it. They got me 3 times before I neutralized their existence. Here is the aftermath of the attack before I shop vacuumed them up.

Wood Floor Bumper Automotive exterior Material property

Oh yea, I did get the brass and put others in the units.

·
Administrator
23,524 Posts
Many years ago our dog camp running up on the deck whimpering. I looked and he had about 4 hornets on him. I brushed them off and we both went indoors. I went out the front door and around the house and there was a hornets nest under the deck that had to be a foot long. I bought 2 cans of spray and that evening got into my Chevy Chevette and drove up to the nest, cracked the window enough I could use the spray. I emptied a can on the nest and backed the car off the lawn. The next day I knocked the nest down, it was impressive.

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many years ago our dog camp running up on the deck whimpering. I looked and he had about 4 hornets on him. I brushed them off and we both went indoors. I went out the front door and around the house and there was a hornets nest under the deck that had to be a foot long. I bought 2 cans of spray and that evening got into my Chevy Chevette and drove up to the nest, cracked the window enough I could use the spray. I emptied a can on the nest and backed the car off the lawn. The next day I knocked the nest down, it was impressive.
A serious story but humorous non the less.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
The best killer is Raid Professional Wasp & Hornet, in a black spray can. Has a range of 10-15 feet.
When I lived in Florida, the apartments had open diamond plate stairs and wasps liked the underside. One time I got a basketball size nest. I waited until almost dark, and cooler. Makes them sluggish. None of them got to me, it dropped them in mid air. I just hit the button and sprayed with a circular motion.

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best killer is Raid Professional Wasp & Hornet, in a black spray can. Has a range of 10-15 feet.
When I lived in Florida, the apartments had open diamond plate stairs and wasps liked the underside. One time I got a basketball size nest. I waited until almost dark, and cooler. Makes them sluggish. None of them got to me, it dropped them in mid air. I just hit the button and sprayed with a circular motion.
The stuff I used dropped them in mid flight. It was the initial bull rush that got me. But in the end I was superior ... 😊

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got hit by so many times last year by ground hornets I had to go get a steriod shot. Couldn't even count the number of times they got me. I prevailed with death and destruction to them in the end.
I laugh with you not at you. It's who is still standing at the final bell is what counts. Glad you came out on top.

·
Registered
435 Posts
And I'm living to talk about it. Went to extract some brass from my two vibratory units, that reside in my detached garage. Go out and I notice some yellowjackets buzzing around in the back corner where my vibratory units are. I investigate and low and behold up under my bench and against the wall is a fairly new nest. My guess maybe 6" or so, hard to tell exactly. Anyways, I grab my trusty can of spray and attack it. They got me 3 times before I neutralized their existence. Here is the aftermath of the attack before I shop vacuumed them up.

View attachment 173289

Oh yea, I did get the brass and put others in the units.
I got a guy that comes once a month to knock down those little paper nests and also sprays for bugs and stuff.
I bet that was a Holy [email protected]#$% moment ! :cool:

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I've found no wasp nests this year, and seeing very few honeybees, both unusual. But I'm seeing dozens of bumblebees at a time. Mostly in the afternoon, if I go out the front door they're flying around everywhere. They don't pay me any attention, but it's spooky. I have to be careful that i don't let them get by me into the house. I used to see very few of them, like the honeybees are now. I guess it's another part of climate change.

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
503 Posts
I hate Yellowjackets ... I've been stung many times over the years. Once while building tree stands for the upcoming bow season, I got into a nest of them and got stung about eight times. It was really hot, and I had a two-hour plus drive home ... I was so miserable.

Earlier this year while moving some stuff in the yard some kind of wasp stung me on my thumb and it literally paralyzed my thumb for three days ... I don't know for sure what it was, but it was nasty... one of the worst of my life. I declared war on anything with a stinger (except the honeybees). I hung wasp traps everywhere and put a can of wasp spray in both my outbuildings and kept one on the back porch.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nasty. Only been stung once by wasps. Wife was working on an evergreen bush and reported seeing some. Sure enough, nest embedded in the bush. Got most, but one got me just as I started to swat him off. Got a little red, but no big deal.

Now I have a bug guy come by once a quarter and use the sponge-on-a-pole around the outside of the house. I had found a nest in the horizontal metal poles of an outside washline and made him dig it out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I declared war on anything with a stinger (except the honeybees). I hung wasp traps everywhere and put a can of wasp spray in both my outbuildings and kept one on the back porch.
I declared chemical warfare, no holds barred, after my last 2 episodes. I got really swelled up & both the urgent care Dr. & my regular Dr. recommended that I get Epipens. They're expensive as [email protected] Severe localized swelling means 1 step closer to anaphylactic shock.

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I declared chemical warfare after my last 2 episodes. I got really swelled up & both the urgent care Dr. & my regular Dr. recommended that I get Epipens. they're expensive as [email protected] Severe localized swelling means 1 step closer to anaphylactic shock.
Lucky for me I'm not allergic to em ... itch like crazy now but nothing I can't deal with ...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Lucky for me I'm not allergic to em ... itch like crazy now but nothing I can't deal with ...
Yes, you're very lucky indeed. Before my Epipen episodes, there was a ground hornets nest in my yard & I got stung a few times. I used a home recipe to get rid of them. Funny how barren that spot is to this day ... probably nothin' will grow there for the next 10,000 years (jk!).

1 - 20 of 105 Posts