Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
9,988 Posts
I have to keep them around now. Never was allergic before, but had a bad reaction to 2 stinging episodes. They're expensive & you have to buy 2 of them. And they have an expiration date, so if I don't use them, I have to buy more. They're much larger than "pens" & very cumbersome to carry around.

There was a huge scandal about the drug company that jacked up price 400%. View attachment 173363
Oh i agree its disgraceful. They did the same with powder naloxone, we had to switch to the liquid at work because of cost, and the frequency we have to give it. It comes in 2mg, and 4mg. I have seen up to 12 mg given to one subject that overdosed on heroin with fentanyl mixture. Now its the diabetic meds that have gone insane, some are 1k a month. Truly shameful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best killer is Raid Professional Wasp & Hornet, in a black spray can. Has a range of 10-15 feet.
When I lived in Florida, the apartments had open diamond plate stairs and wasps liked the underside. One time I got a basketball size nest. I waited until almost dark, and cooler. Makes them sluggish. None of them got to me, it dropped them in mid air. I just hit the button and sprayed with a circular motion.
Have you tried the foaming spray?

·
Registered
4 Posts
And I'm living to talk about it. Went to extract some brass from my two vibratory units, that reside in my detached garage. Go out and I notice some yellowjackets buzzing around in the back corner where my vibratory units are. I investigate and low and behold up under my bench and against the wall is a fairly new nest. My guess maybe 6" or so, hard to tell exactly. Anyways, I grab my trusty can of spray and attack it. They got me 3 times before I neutralized their existence. Here is the aftermath of the attack before I shop vacuumed them up.

View attachment 173289

Oh yea, I did get the brass and put others in the units.
Back when I was a young man, I watched an older man pull a loaded wasp nest down, place it on the ground and stepped on the nest killing all of the wasps. Not one of the wasps flew. I’ve always wondered if he was a bee keeper or just fearless.

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
OP, glad you're okay! Now, what is this detached garage you speak of? My tumbler churns on a soft bathmat in the air-conditioned, master bathroom. Fortunately, there's no flying critters in there.
LOL ... if only, I believe in living peacefully within my environment (pronounced wife) ... she'd have a kanipsion if I tried that ... 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
These work nicely, just have to be careful not to set everything else on fire. Extremely cautious.

I make my own version of those (a little less dramatic) but after we were picking up at the range one day and my grandson (fortunately) noticed smoke out where they had landed, I only use them during active rain or when we have snow cover. It wasn't hard to put out but lighting the range on fire is not what I want as part of my legacy.

Bruce

·
Registered
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Okay, I suspected as much. And, you probably guessed that I have the rulemaking authority due to being single.
I had the rule making authority ONCE ... then she batted her baby blues and it was all over ... 😜😝🤘😏🤣

·
"The Real Deal"
9,988 Posts
I had the rule making authority ONCE ... then she batted her baby blues and it was all over ... 😜😝🤘😏🤣
It was the mullet that gave you your mojo... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to log. Let me tell you there's nothing like sawing into a yellowjacket nest. I used to get stung so much. The Bald-faced Hornets were pretty wicked looking but I only got stung once by them. I used to enjoy watching them attack and carry off yellowjackets for dinner.
I was cutting up a locust tree that had fallen over my family's farm lane. I had to wade into the branches to get to a portion of the trunk. The brush I was in was over a yellow jacket nest in the ground. They swarmed all over me, I got over two dozen stings. I had to shift my area of cutting to another part of the tree, and finally managed to get the tree dragged out of the lane. I then had to go home, take some Benadryl, strip, and get in a cold bath to help control the swelling. As for the yellow jackets, I located their hole, and that evening when they were all in bed, I poured gasoline down the hole and lit it. There was a good, satisfying whuff when the gas ignited down deep. My dad, a retired anesthesiologist, said I was extremely lucky. Don't I know it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Circa 30 yrs ago my wife and I were doing some yard work at her parents house. I heard my wife screaming. She had ran over a Yellow Jacket nest with the push mower. I got to her and started raking the Yellow Jackets off her legs with my bare hands. She was wearing thin long pants so I got stung more than she did. Her father got the water hose and allowed our escape. Her mother wouldn't allow her in the house afraid one was still on her.

I am lucky that being stung doesn't have a lasting affect. It hurts but very little side affect. I wear overhauls with no shirt when working around the house. Last week I had a red wasp sting me in the shoulder. It hurt but after a few minutes I didn't notice it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The best killer is Raid Professional Wasp & Hornet, in a black spray can. Has a range of 10-15 feet.
When I lived in Florida, the apartments had open diamond plate stairs and wasps liked the underside. One time I got a basketball size nest. I waited until almost dark, and cooler. Makes them sluggish. None of them got to me, it dropped them in mid air. I just hit the button and sprayed with a circular motion.
The condo we had in Florida had an external fire escape of diamond plate like your place, too, and it was chronically infested with paper wasps. We never got stung by them, but one got our cat when we had him on a leash out there. He was not a happy camper for a few hours afterwards. He got some Benadryl and a steroid shot at the vet, and he was better by the evening.

@rmichael63
I salute you for the great service you've done for the world by eliminating that a$$hole nest. I hate yellowjackets with a passion. They were everywhere when I was a kid in Oregon, and I got stung by them three times on different occasions. The damn things harass you when you're just trying to mind your own business, even when you aren't near their nests. They can all go to Hades!

61 - 80 of 105 Posts