Ruger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

Registered
I spray bifen I/T in the yard 3 or 4 times a year, no fire ants, or any ants, bugs, or any other insects. Do my fathers yard too, atv with a 25 gallon boom sprayer. I put the strongest dose around the perimeter of the house working out to the property line. I have yet to have any issues with bugs since then. Even keeps the mosquitos at bay too for a little while.
The yellowjackets are back in the compost bin.(post# 26). I took your advise and just ordered some Bifen I/T from Do My Own. I can wait a couple days.

"The Real Deal"
The yellowjackets are back in the compost bin.(post# 26). I took your advise and just ordered some Bifen I/T from Do My Own. I can wait a couple days.
It should do you well, just spray it when its not gonna rain for a couple days and you should be good to go. I mix it 1/2 gallon of bifen to maybe 15 or 20 gallons of water, but you can do it stronger with less water to be more concentrated. It should give you the upper hand on those pests. Good luck. 馃槈 Spray it before the sun sets or early in the morning for the best results to allow it to soak in, and not evaporate.

Here is what i order and use.

Reactions: carpcon

Registered
Before I retired I was a forensic consultant, I live in Maryland. I was doing a scene in North Carolina along the side of a road. I was measuring, taking photos and what have you, when I felt a pain in my rear end. Then the pain started to get more intense as I was walking around. Found out I was walking all over a yellow jacket nest in the ground. They got me a whole bunch of times in the rear end. I mentioned that I lived in Maryland because on this particular day, I had to drive home from North Carolina to Maryland, while trying not to let my seriously hurting rear end hit the car seat.

Registered
I got lit up by dam yellowjackets a few weeks ago doing yard work. Was in the back yard running the gas weedeater and next thing I know I'm getting lit up. I dropped the weedeater and ran off, after getting lit up 8 times I go back because the weedeater was sitting there still running where I dropped it and they were still attacking it. They seem to have a ground nest somewhere near my century plant. I'm still planning my attack but I will be back!

Registered
And I'm living to talk about it. Went to extract some brass from my two vibratory units, that reside in my detached garage. Go out and I notice some yellowjackets buzzing around in the back corner where my vibratory units are. I investigate and low and behold up under my bench and against the wall is a fairly new nest. My guess maybe 6" or so, hard to tell exactly. Anyways, I grab my trusty can of spray and attack it. They got me 3 times before I neutralized their existence. Here is the aftermath of the attack before I shop vacuumed them up.

View attachment 173289

Oh yea, I did get the brass and put others in the units.
Now THAT is true dedication to your craft, Sir.
And I'm living to talk about it. Went to extract some brass from my two vibratory units, that reside in my detached garage. Go out and I notice some yellowjackets buzzing around in the back corner where my vibratory units are. I investigate and low and behold up under my bench and against the wall is a fairly new nest. My guess maybe 6" or so, hard to tell exactly. Anyways, I grab my trusty can of spray and attack it. They got me 3 times before I neutralized their existence. Here is the aftermath of the attack before I shop vacuumed them up.

View attachment 173289

Oh yea, I did get the brass and put others in the units.

• Haha
Reactions: rmichael63

Registered
Many years ago our dog camp running up on the deck whimpering. I looked and he had about 4 hornets on him. I brushed them off and we both went indoors. I went out the front door and around the house and there was a hornets nest under the deck that had to be a foot long. I bought 2 cans of spray and that evening got into my Chevy Chevette and drove up to the nest, cracked the window enough I could use the spray. I emptied a can on the nest and backed the car off the lawn. The next day I knocked the nest down, it was impressive.
If you did a mag dump in full auto with the spray can the feds are coming to get you if the enviro hornet protection society does not get you first.

Registered
I got hit by so many times last year by ground hornets I had to go get a steriod shot. Couldn't even count the number of times they got me. I prevailed with death and destruction to them in the end.
I also ran into ground wasps, or rather my dog did while bird hunting on Mauna Kea.
We went down to the flat at the bottom of a big hill, and I noticed her pawing at her face in some brush. I went in after her and she was hug up by her collar. Finally freed her but she kept stopping to paw at the wasps that followed us up the hill for over a hundred yards. I had to continually back track to keep her moving and the wasps were relentless and kept after us until we reached the top of the hill! Thank goodness I was wearing a hat, sunglasses and a tee shirt under my long sleeve shirt and a vest.
I think I counted at least 15 sore spots all around my head at the base of my packer鈥檚 hat and don鈥檛 know how many on my back and shoulders.
By the time we reached the top of the hill and the road, I was out of breath and freaking out. Just as I ran for the road, I tripped and practically threw my new Beretta o/u on the ground! I began to have a metallic taste in my mouth and the thought of having a bad reaction in the middle of nowhere all alone crossed my mind. Was it a reaction or maybe the taste of fear?!?!
I made a report to DLNR and a few days later we tried to locate the nest to eradicate it but never found it.
A bow hunter friend told me that he was also chased out and told me that large groups of the ground wasps have killed horses.
I feel your pain 馃槀馃槀馃槀
Sympathies brah!

Registered
The best killer is Raid Professional Wasp & Hornet, in a black spray can. Has a range of 10-15 feet.
When I lived in Florida, the apartments had open diamond plate stairs and wasps liked the underside. One time I got a basketball size nest. I waited until almost dark, and cooler. Makes them sluggish. None of them got to me, it dropped them in mid air. I just hit the button and sprayed with a circular motion.
I've got a yellow jacket story there was a really big one in my wall my wife's mom said she knew exactly how to go about it she said spray into the nest then plug the hole they were using at dark I did it sprayed raid pluged hole about half hour later I went into my bathroom and you guessed it there was about two hundred in my bathroom took a couple days to sort it out

Registered
Many years ago our dog camp running up on the deck whimpering. I looked and he had about 4 hornets on him. I brushed them off and we both went indoors. I went out the front door and around the house and there was a hornets nest under the deck that had to be a foot long. I bought 2 cans of spray and that evening got into my Chevy Chevette and drove up to the nest, cracked the window enough I could use the spray. I emptied a can on the nest and backed the car off the lawn. The next day I knocked the nest down, it was impressive.
When I was a young guy I worked on the state highway crew. We were working on a small road that ran next to a creek. The grader guy turned over some dirt by the creek. I walked over to look in the creek. In doing so I walked across a nest of yellow jackets that were angry because their lair had just been opened. 18 stings later I had took off my pants in the middle of a state highway. Needless to say the crew had a great laugh.

"The Real Deal"
I had a tangle with fire ants once that required the removal of my pants in public, i have no shame in that.

Once was pumping the fire engine on a fire and got in some fire ants, got bitten a bunch, but kept on running the rig, people where counting on me.

Registered
This is an entertaining thread Too which I can relate.

honey bees and I are friends.

bumble bees and I are friends.

yellow-jackets and I tolerate each Other.

my nemesis is those #$&** red wasps!

Those miscreants seen to single me out for unprovoked attack. Last summer, walking past the garbage cans by the back porch I catch something headed to my eye. Yup, red wasp nailed me, twice, just below my eye.

three weeks ago I was walking out of the shop to the saw mill. Again, nailed by a red wasp, twice ( at e two different ones). Once on temple and once on back of head.

Registered
I HATE yellow jackets! When I was around 13 I went out to feed the horse like I did every day. I knew there were yellow jackets around the workshop but I had to go through to get to the barn so I was always very careful not to anger them. This time mother nature screwed me over and the wind slammed the door to the back side of the workshop as I exited. That did it.

I heard them buzzing up a storm seconds after the door slam and felt them almost instantly afterwards. The worst part was I was then on the backside of the shop and had to go right back through the door where they were still piling out of, to get to safety.

By the time I exited the shop and headed for the house there were so many on me that I couldn't see skin on my shoulders despite the fact I was wearing a tank top. I remember screaming as I ran to the house with the sound of angry yellow jackets all around me and the pain of all the stings. They had mostly bugged out by the time I got inside but I was in bad shape. My mom stopped counting stings at 30+ as she applied some kind of sting medicine. I felt so sick I could barely stand, in addition to the pain of course, so my mom gave me a giant dose of Benadryl and I slept till the next day.

That's been decades ago and I still avoid wasps, hornets and bees like the plague. I hate those things.

"The Real Deal"
You know i got bitten once when i was a kid, my grandmother at that time dipped high society snuff. She took some outta her mouth and put it on the bites, man it sure took the pain out. People would frown on that practice today, if you could find someone who dipped snuff. But it worked. :oops:

Registered
You know i got bitten once when i was a kid, my grandmother at that time dipped high society snuff. She took some outta her mouth and put it on the bites, man it sure took the pain out. People would frown on that practice today, if you could find someone who dipped snuff. But it worked. :oops:
It works with any tobacco. My mother would chew a pinch of a cigarette when I was a kid and I did it when my kids/wife got stung. Those old remedies work.:)

Registered
It works with any tobacco. My mother would chew a pinch of a cigarette when I was a kid and I did it when my kids/wife got stung. Those old remedies work.:)
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so the tobacco probably acted to shrink the blood vessels around the stings, reducing swelling and squeezing some of the venom away from the area, too.

"The Real Deal"
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so the tobacco probably acted to shrink the blood vessels around the stings, reducing swelling and squeezing some of the venom away from the area, too.
It worked, i hadn't thought about her doing that in over 30 or 35 years.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts