Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

· Registered
771 Posts
Been at the reloading game since 1962...started with a single station Herter's #3 and used that until 2005 for both rifle and handgun. My #1 son introduced me to Dillon's 550B progressive press and I liked it so much I eventually bought two. I keep one set up for small primers and the other for large. I'd estimate that between them, I've loaded more than 60,000 rounds of ammunition...& no problems with either aside from a cpl bent primer pins that Dillon replaced gratis.

I do still use the Herter's #3 for rifle when working up loads, but usually use a Harrell's Turret. Great press, but runout on finished rounds is no better than my old Herter's...about 0.003". I've never had an RCBS press, but friends have them and they're first rate. Either will produce sub MOA ammunition on demand for a rifle that has that capability.

As for advice, I'd probably suggest the Dillon line with their superb customer service; they just work 100% of the time. Mine have been flawless. I'd even go so far as to suggest the 550 for a shooter just starting out, so long as he can read instructions and does not try to maximize output before understanding the press, and the loading sequences. I routinely use my 550's to work up loads, one round at a time, and I see no reason why a responsible neophyte could not do the same. And too, even with my arthritic hands, they easily produce 300+ rounds an hour of 1st quality handloads.

Best Regards, Rod

· Registered
1,413 Posts
What are ya'll running for a press guys?
I
Do you reload? Are you thinking of getting into it? Are you already reloading and just curious what others have?

· Registered
561 Posts
Lee Classic Turret and Hornady LNL single stage.

Like them both. Have Hornady set with a Lee universal deprimer most of the time. When needing to decrimp, put a Lee decrimp die on the Hornady press.

Keep Lee press loaded with turret populated with last caliber I loaded. I got the Lee to try its 'progressive' loading capability. It works fine, though it looks and acts a bit klunky.

Since I don't shoot that much and reload 50 or 100 max in a loading session, I've started to hand-prime (for better primer pocket 'feel'). Then I do separate powder loading, sometimes with a Lee powder dispenser, sometimes with a Hornady powder dispenser (keep 1 set for rifle-sized loads, the other for pistol-sized) . For some rifle loads I've started loading individually-weighed powder using the appropriate-for-caliber Lee powder scoop for a starting load for a Hornady trickler top-off. I then use the Lee Turret to seat the bullet with one of its dies and turn the turret to use the Lee FCD that's next to the bullet seat die, then repeat.

I'd recommend Lee as a press that has really close to progressive press capabilities at a reasonable entry price. If you have multiple calibers to load or want to pre-set for different bullets and loads for same caliber, get additional turrets and populate them with extra dies. Gives you lots of configuration and use options.

Hornady also has presses with similar capabilities. Like I said, I love Hornady stuff and live in Nebraska (Hornady's home). But having gotten Lee turret press before I saw that Hornady had an equivalent one, I don't feel a need to replace the Lee at this time.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts