Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
It helps to consider what you plan to reload. For example, I use a Rock Chucker but it is way more powerful than what I need. I don't load anything bigger than 6.5CM and 260 Rem and rarely full length resize so I could do fine with a smaller press. I've even considered cutting a shorter handle for the RC, the stroke is long.
The rock chucker is extremely concentric and precise though and loads very accurate ammo. In a YT test of 14 presses it was the second best in bullet concentricity (#1 was a $1K german press) and tied for best in every other category.
14 Reloading Presses Compared: the BIG Single-Stage Shootout - YouTube

The Lee presses are popular and I've been tempted by their turret models. I do plan to buy one of the cheap Lee models just for fast decapping.

· Registered
503 Posts
It helps to consider what you plan to reload. For example, I use a Rock Chucker but it is way more powerful than what I need. I don't load anything bigger than 6.5CM and 260 Rem and rarely full length resize so I could do fine with a smaller press. I've even considered cutting a shorter handle for the RC, the stroke is long.
The rock chucker is extremely concentric and precise though and loads very accurate ammo. In a YT test of 14 presses it was the second best in bullet concentricity (#1 was a $1K german press) and tied for best in every other category.
14 Reloading Presses Compared: the BIG Single-Stage Shootout - YouTube

The Lee presses are popular and I've been tempted by their turret models. I do plan to buy one of the cheap Lee models just for fast decapping.
Good ole Gavin, that dude has the gift of gab!

· Registered
25 Posts
Lee 4 hole turret press. Purchased when Covid hit, and it took 3 months to arrive. So I'm fairly new to the reloading thing. But the press has helped me learn the do's and don't. I use it as a single stage and now do 223, 300 aac, 380 and 40. I find it comforting not having to rely on the store for my ammo. I cannot say it's cheaper to reload though.

· Registered
10 Posts
Been at the reloading game since 1962...started with a single station Herter's #3 and used that until 2005
Also started in 1962 with a Herters Super 3. Still have it. Was given an RCBS press, bench and bunch of goodies from an estate about 25 years ago and have been using that since then. Like the standard shell holders of the newer (1975) press. If not so lazy, could no doubt have made a new ram for the old brown press.
Sewing machine Wood Table Gas Machine

Table Wood Interior design Desk Building
Wood Machine Office supplies Bag Human leg

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,248 Posts
Always handy to have a second single stage press set up. Occasions will arise when it is easier to perform an operation on a second press without changing dies on the primary press.
Good advice....

Unless you have a Hornady Lock 'n Load single stage. :)
Dies are set, just pop them in and out.

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Also started in 1962 with a Herters Super 3. Still have it. Was given an RCBS press, bench and bunch of goodies from an estate about 25 years ago and have been using that since then. Like the standard shell holders of the newer (1975) press. If not so lazy, could no doubt have made a new ram for the old brown press.
View attachment 186933
View attachment 186931 View attachment 186932
I like your setup PaulEdward! Looks to be practical and functional. Welcome aboard!

· Registered
1,375 Posts
View attachment 186933
View attachment 186931 View attachment 186932
Paul ... I had one of those old Herter's press at one time .. Must have weighed about 50lbs and It was sure hard on the kneecaps when the ram handle fell but It was a really good one . I had mine set up for deprimming old spent casings . I loaned it out 25 years ago and haven't seen it since ... It was monster but a reliable one

· Registered
13 Posts
What are ya'll running for a press guys?
I
I have an RCBS Rock Chucker for single stage and two Dillon 450 progressives that have been updated to be 550’s. I have one Dillon dedicated to small pistol primers /calibers and the other to large pistol primers/calibers. Load 9MM, 39 Spl. and 357 Mag on one and 45 ACP, 44Spl, 44 Mag and 45 Colt on the other. Use the single stage primarily for rifle, but also occasional pistol load work up (using a 10-10 scale for powder).

· Registered
13 Posts
I have an RCBS Rock Chucker for single stage and two Dillon 450 progressives that have been updated to be 550’s. I have one Dillon dedicated to small pistol primers /calibers and the other to large pistol primers/calibers. Load 9MM, 38 Spl. and 357 Mag on one and 45 ACP, 44Spl, 44 Mag and 45 Colt on the other. Use the single stage primarily for rifle, but also occasional pistol load work up (using a 10-10 scale for powder).

· Registered
13 Posts
I have an RCBS Rock Chucker for single stage and two Dillon 450 progressives that have been updated to be 550’s. I have one Dillon dedicated to small pistol primers /calibers and the other to large pistol primers/calibers. Load 9MM, 39 Spl. and 357 Mag on one and 45 ACP, 44Spl, 44 Mag and 45 Colt on the other. Use the single stage primarily for rifle, but also occasional pistol load work up (using a 10-10 scale for powder).

Attachments

· Registered
24 Posts
I bought My first press in 1986 I still have it a Dillon Square Deal, at the time I shot a LOT of handgun. Soon after I bought a Lyman turret then a RCBS junior then a Dillon 550 then a Rockchucker. I parted ways with the Lyman several months ago but still run all the others. That Square Deal saved me so many hours , love it still.

· Registered
104 Posts
My simple set up in the basement is a 40-year-old Lee Turret Press with auto index and auto powder measure. It was a $30 marked down display in a closing hardware store sale for the basic press. I only reload for my revolvers, so it has always served my needs. It always works with only an occasional change of the hex rachet if it gets worn. I also have a single stage Lee with the quick-change locking rings on the bench. I used to think I would someday move on to more expensive better equipment but just never found the need.
Circuit component Engineering Audio equipment Gas Machine

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I bought a Lyman 310 tool a few years ago to load .45 Colt. Only reason is to 'experience' reloading 'old style'. I prefer the single stage press of course, but still fun to load a few the 'old way' once is a great while. :) It does make you appreciate the bench top press! On the other hand, the tool is very portable.
I also started in the early 60's with a Lyman 310 tong tool. I used it for .38 Special and .243 Winchester. The .243 dies neck-sized only. It was slow, but I made some surprisingly good ammo on it, I still have it and the dies in a cabinet next to my reloading bench.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts