Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a a Ruger Red Hawk 7 1/2" and a Thompson Center Contender 10" Bull barrel, both chambered in 44 Rem Mag.
I have been reloading 0.429 dia. 240 gn JHP with 24 gn W296 for both hand guns with excellent accuracy, and no pressure signs. I have exhausted my supply of JHP 44 Mag 0.429 projectiles and can not locate anyone with inventory on hand. I was told by a friend that he could get me some JSP 0.431 projectiles. It is my understanding that 0.431 projectiles are suitable and safe for rifles. What I would like to know; are JHP or JSP 0.431 projectiles safe to shoot through my 44 Mag T/C or Red Hawk? Is there anyone that has had experience shooting Jacketed 0.431 through their handgun, is it considered safe?RELOADING

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are those .431" heads for the .44 mag?
I think .431" in a JSP might too large. You could get one of Lee push thru sizer in .429" and size them down. The Lee sizers are less than $28.00.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would not go any larger than .430 in jacketed bullets. If the .431 bullets went down the barrel, I'm sure it would put a lot of stress on your pistols. You were up around max with the 296, which is a very common load for .44mag, I use H-110 which is the same.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not go any larger than .430 in jacketed bullets. If the .431 bullets went down the barrel, I'm sure it would put a lot of stress on your pistols. You were up around max with the 296, which is a very common load for .44mag, I use H-110 which is the same.
Have a great day.
Jim
Ya, I had some of the same concerns, thus the questions I had. Thanks for your input. If suppliers ever do get any inventory, I'll continue with my 44 Mag reloading. Till then I can't get any 0.430 or 0.431, much less 0.429 slugs.
I appreciate your come back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are those .431" heads for the .44 mag?
I think .431" in a JSP might too large. You could get one of Lee push thru sizer in .429" and size them down. The Lee sizers are less than $28.00.
Before I go that route, I will wait a bit to see if any retailers get any new 0.429 inventory. Thanks so much for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I've been using the Hornady XTP in 44 mag for years. .430 is perfectly appropriate for the 44mag. I've used the .429 for 44 Special but never 44 mag. Although, there are .429 and .430 options for the 44 Special. I can't find jacketed .429 so I'm trying .430 for the Special. What brand bullet are you using in .429?
As long as you're using load data appropriate for caliber from a manual from the manufacturer, you should be fine. I don't recall seeing a JHP or JSP in .431 for 44 mag. I might be wrong. It's happened before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Zero bullets sells a .431 240gr JSP. I have a .429 Lee push thru bullet sizer die. The .431 zeros come out .430 (with micrometer) when run thru the Lee .429 die. Using a S&W M69, I tested them both ways (.430 & .431) over 24.0gr H110/W296 with no observable difference (accuracy, velocity, pressure signs). Never bothered to size after original test. Have shot over 4000 of these thru various .44 mags.

SAAMI specs call for a .432 - .006 lead bullet.

Good handloading practices dictate you reduce your charge and work back up when changing components. Can't imagine your Redhawk or Contender will notice the difference however.

FWIW,

Paul

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can still find quality hard cast .44 bullets online; might have to search a bit. Unlike jacketed bullets, lead sized at .431 will not put undue stress on your Redhawk. I shoot mostly lead through my Rugers. Less wear on the barrel, and accomplishes any task needed; plus, more cost effective

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been using the Hornady XTP in 44 mag for years. .430 is perfectly appropriate for the 44mag. I've used the .429 for 44 Special but never 44 mag. Although, there are .429 and .430 options for the 44 Special. I can't find jacketed .429 so I'm trying .430 for the Special. What brand bullet are you using in .429?
As long as you're using load data appropriate for caliber from a manual from the manufacturer, you should be fine. I don't recall seeing a JHP or JSP in .431 for 44 mag. I might be wrong. It's happened before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been loading 24gn W296 behind both Hornady XTP 240gn and Sierra Power Jacket 240gn, which has exhausted my supply of 44 Mag slugs on hand. Test firing of both these loads have yielded excellent accuracy with no pressure signs. I have enough prepped brass, powder, and primers to complete at least another 500 rounds, but no suitable projectiles. A friend of mine has stated he has connections with Rose Distribution to get Zero bullets, JSP 240gn, 0.431, but has not as of yet come through. I was a little unsure of shooting 0.431 JSP or JHP through my Ruger or T/C, thus my questions. I have searched everywhere to replenish my supply of Hornady or Sierra 44 slugs with zero availability. As Ruger4Life has suggested, shooting lead instead of jacketed slugs may be my only option, considering the current market conditions. I have always shot jacketed because I did not want to deal with the possibility of leading my bore. Perhaps I will be forced to do so and obtain @ 500 rounds of 240gn 0.430 lead bullets. If that be the case, I would like to obtain projectiles of sufficient hardness to avoid bore leading, yet give similar accuracy and expansion results of JHP or JSP. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been loading 24gn W296 behind both Hornady XTP 240gn and Sierra Power Jacket 240gn, which has exhausted my supply of 44 Mag slugs on hand. Test firing of both these loads have yielded excellent accuracy with no pressure signs. I have enough prepped brass, powder, and primers to complete at least another 500 rounds, but no suitable projectiles. A friend of mine has stated he has connections with Rose Distribution to get Zero bullets, JSP 240gn, 0.431, but has not as of yet come through. I was a little unsure of shooting 0.431 JSP or JHP through my Ruger or T/C, thus my questions. I have searched everywhere to replenish my supply of Hornady or Sierra 44 slugs with zero availability. As Ruger4Life has suggested, shooting lead instead of jacketed slugs may be my only option, considering the current market conditions. I have always shot jacketed because I did not want to deal with the possibility of leading my bore. Perhaps I will be forced to do so and obtain @ 500 rounds of 240gn 0.430 lead bullets. If that be the case, I would like to obtain projectiles of sufficient hardness to avoid bore leading, yet give similar accuracy and expansion results of JHP or JSP. Any suggestions?
CORRECTION:
I must correct an error that I have posted above: I have been loading 25.0gn of W296 and NOT 24.0gn as I had stated above, yet with excellent accuracy and no signs of over pressure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Check out Brazos Bullets. They have quality coated lead bullets at a great price. I use them in my 45 Colt Ruger only loads with great success. They’re taking back orders now, but my last back order only took about three weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts